Sign in to follow this  
SecretAsianMan

AGDQ 2018

You thought I forgot didn't you?

It's a new year which means another Games Done Quick marathon.  Awesome Games Done Quick is coming up this weekend, Jan 7-14.  For anyone not aware, AGDQ is a marathon gaming event where some of the best speedrunners in the world gather together to raise money for the Prevent Cancer Foundation by beating games as fast as possible.  Many of the runs have donation incentives or bid wars.  There are also a large number of prize drawings during certain blocks of games.

Schedule

Twitch Stream

Donation Page

Donation Tracker

Official YouTube Channel

AGDQ 2018 Thumbs Curated Playlist

I only took a quick glance but nothing on the schedule particularly stands out to me.  I'll make my usual plug for PJ running Battletoads Arcade.  Some of the newer games being run are Hollow Knight, Prey, Splatoon 2, and Sonic Mania.  I'm a little surprised Mario Odyssey isn't being run.  I realize it's relatively new but I still figured someone would submit a run for it.   One thing of note is that Super Metroid is nowhere to be found at all.

Burnout Paradise 100%!

4 player L4D2 might be good

Ultima VI: The False Prophet  ?

Human Campaign of Warcraft 3!

Baldurs Gate 2: EE, in 26 minutes, what the hell skips are there here?

Things I'm looking forward to watching:

Splatoon 2; I'm probably the biggest Splatoon fan on this forum!

Batman: Arkham Asylum; great game in general, and it's been a while since I've played it

Metroid Prime 3: A little underappreciated compared to the other two Metroid Prime games, I think, due to its increased linearity, but I think it's great anyway

Super Mario 3D World: fantastic game all round

Animorphs: Shattered reality: I've been on a real Animorphs kick lately due to listening to the Morphclub Podcast, so keeeeen for this

Jedi Academy: One of the few games I ever considered speedrunning; I've beaten this game about 8 times but never committed to a speed playthrough

Super Mario Galaxy: even better than 3D World so I gotta watch this too

Breath of the Wild: what a great game to end the marathon on :D

Not gonna be able to see everything because of the times, but hopefully I'll be able to catch most of these. Looking forward to the event!

I don't even know how you play Symphony of the Night without killing any bosses.

A few that seem like they could be entertaining(some because I've never seen them before):

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest (Race)

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (European Extreme)

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

Super Mario Sunshine (120 shines)

Dishonored (All collectibles so I'm hoping it's not a glitch fest like I've seen before)

Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos

Super Mario World (Race)

Generally I'm a fan of races and not of glitchy runs where most of it is jumping into a piece of geometry to get out of bounds or something. A bit of that is cool but I think the last time I saw a Dishonored run that was done at the start of every level and everything was skipped, it gets a bit tired for me after a few levels.

Wonder what impact the lack of Kill/Save the animals will have on the money raised, I'm just glad I won't have to listen to the same boring comments related to that goal this time!

Animorphs AND Rex Ronan? The awful games block isn't pulling any punches.

14 hours ago, Merus said:

I don't even know how you play Symphony of the Night without killing any bosses.

If "zero bosses " is anything like "pacifism," it's by exploiting all sorts of glitches and the semantics of word definitions.

I would imagine a zero boss run means lots of out of bounds and/or maneuvering around cutscene triggers.

7 hours ago, thepaulhoey said:

Generally I'm a fan of races and not of glitchy runs where most of it is jumping into a piece of geometry to get out of bounds or something. A bit of that is cool but I think the last time I saw a Dishonored run that was done at the start of every level and everything was skipped, it gets a bit tired for me after a few levels.

I feel the same way.  Glitches are neat if you know the game but are not actually that interesting to watch most of the time.  My favorite runs tend to be either 100% or low% runs with few glitches.  Races are great too.  They've been doing more relay races in the past few marathons and I'm into that.  One of my favorite runs from past GDQs was a Ninja Gaiden relay race that went back and forth several times and has a photo finish

Tuned into the stream at random and caught the Mega Man X race, which was absolutely incredible. 3 competitors who all, at one point, are in the lead, with only about a 10 second spread all the way to the very end. Worth checking out the archive later.

Looking forward to watching that, it was on too late for me to catch live.

The Skyrim run was fun, full of glitches but interesting and baffling glitches. And a couple of crashes.

I did like the comment I saw from one of the Vlambeer guys that said that he'd really like it if GDQ players would stop sarcastically saying that the game was well-programmed when they exploited a bug.

That second one doesn't look legit at all. Probably just a random channel trying to leech views by uploading the archives before the official channel gets around to it.

Only run I've had time to watch the archive of so far is "Sonic Mania," which was great. Claris is the best runner of the game with Sonic & Tails and she did a great job. Some really cool techniques, skips, and just non-stop speed. Of course you'd expect that with a classic-style 2D Sonic game, but as she and the announcers pointed out, the drop dash (a new move invented by the wonderful "Mania" dev team to give Sonic a unique ability since Tails and Knuckles have their own unique abilities) really makes "Mania" a better/even more enjoyable speedrun game than 1/2/CD/3K (though those are good speedrun games as well). I think "Mania" is one of the best 2D side scrolling speedrun games there is now. Really cool. Here's a timestamped link to the speedrun.

Other runs I'm looking forward to catching the archive of when I have free time: "Splatoon 2," "Hollow Knight," "F-Zero GX," "Magical Pop'n" (such a great/cute game), "Mega Man X," "Dynamite Headdy" (which has the greatest pixel art and animation made thus far, along with "Demon's Crest," "Owlboy," and "Sonic Mania"--such incredible work), "Symphony of the Night," "Mario 3D World," "Wario Land 4," "Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga," "Yoshi's Island," "Mario Sunshine" (just to see how a great speedrunner deals with the camera/the most awful aspects of the game--though the secret levels are great/a precursor to a lot of design elements of the "Galaxy" games), "Star Fox 2" (just because it will be fascinating to see what a speedrun of this looks like), "Ori and the Blind Forest" (should be a fun race), "Owlboy," "Hyper Light Drifter," "Spelunky" (last GDQ run of this was great; little disappointed this isn't a hell run like that one was but is just Olmec, but still should be good), "Super Mario Galaxy," "Mega Man 1-3" relay race (this should be great--might be the highlight of the whole GDQ), "Kirby: Canvas Curse," "Tintin in Tibet" for GBC (never played this but it's based on one of the best Herge stories and I am aware that the music is really fucking good), "Super Mario World" (should be another great race) and "Breath of the Wild." 

Like always lots of good stuff--will take me a long time to catch the archives of all those! Hopefully none of the runners or announcers for any of those games and the entire event say/do anything egregious like has happened in years past. (Always hate when terrible stuff happens at an otherwise pretty good event, though they've seemingly done a good job with disciplinary action when it does.)

9 hours ago, Merus said:

I did like the comment I saw from one of the Vlambeer guys that said that he'd really like it if GDQ players would stop sarcastically saying that the game was well-programmed when they exploited a bug.

Yes this drives my flatmate and me mad, it wasn't funny the first time, it won't be funny the 1,000th time. Some of the runners are really annoying to listen to.

I saw the second half of the Super Mario 3D World run last night, some really cool skips in that which exploit the World map being one huge map that's streamed in an out.

On 1/9/2018 at 11:09 PM, juv3nal said:

wtf why are there two games done quick youtube channels?!?

https://www.youtube.com/user/gamesdonequick

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT2k23ud5Q2s39wrIrtFtyQ

On 1/9/2018 at 11:18 PM, eRonin said:

That second one doesn't look legit at all. Probably just a random channel trying to leech views by uploading the archives before the official channel gets around to it.

eRonin is correct.  https://www.youtube.com/user/gamesdonequick is the official channel.  Anything else is fake.

19 hours ago, thepaulhoey said:

Yes this drives my flatmate and me mad, it wasn't funny the first time, it won't be funny the 1,000th time. Some of the runners are really annoying to listen to.

I also wish they would cut way down on the use of "HYPE!".  I get it, that's a thing the internet likes to say but GDQ says it so much more that it's often unbearable.

Last night they had a speed running tutorial for Strider, it was really cool to see them take someone who had never speed run a game before and teach him a few tricks and the route to take in the space of 30 minutes. Awesome to see them do something do which gives more insight into how you get into speed running in the first place.

5 hours ago, thepaulhoey said:

Last night they had a speed running tutorial for Strider, it was really cool to see them take someone who had never speed run a game before and teach him a few tricks and the route to take in the space of 30 minutes. Awesome to see them do something do which gives more insight into how you get into speed running in the first place.

This was definitely my highlight so far. Was interesting to watch and very briefly put the idea to try speedrunning into my head. (Which rapidly left my mind again). I hope they do more stuff like this again.

As a side note: twitch chat gives me an aneurysm. I tried to join in as a happy, sane person, but was drowned out by transphobia and "monkaS".

I just watched an amazing run of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out/Super Punch-Out.  The runner, Zallard1, used one controller to play both games simultaneously.  His routing and ability to quickly switch between games was incredible.  It's also the run that broke the $1 million mark.

That Punch Out run is incredibly impressive, must have taken a lot of practice.

It's all over for another 6 months! Some of the highlights for me were Resident Evil 7, good interesting run and great commentary. Breath of the Wild, surprisingly interesting run. It's about 4 hours long though as they complete all main quests. DKC2 race was good, lots of back and forth on the leader.

Still making my way through what I missed. still to watch are SMW race, LttP race, Mega Man relay, MGS 1 & 3, DKC.

Just want to ditto the Punch-Out/Super Punch-Out dual run is really good. I would say if you're only going to watch one, it's the one. Dragon Warrior is a masterclass in rng manipulation, but I know I turn based rpg is probably a hard sell for some folks.

The Punch-Out/Super Punch-Out run is great. 

I have to admit, I tend to avoid the multiple-hour "speed" runs, like the Breath of the Wild run (I dipped into it a little, but anything over an hour or so is usually a speedrun I'm not going to sit all the way through). I know there's no skill difference - and in fact, endurance in continuing to hit all the right tricks, and sequences probably makes them harder - but 4 hours, guys...

I'm probably just spoiled by the Prey speedrun being about 10 minutes long though...

Can't figure out how to add a run to your playlist (this is what I see):

5a5ed49b42728_agdq2018.thumb.png.1fe1c750815a39681780b1d5b3af37e1.png

Unless you're offering to add any video we link to here, in which case: