Sign in to follow this  
Spenny

[Release] Serious Ma'am

Hey, I wrote out some thoughts on this little project in a Twitter thread

The long and short of it, I think it would be a lot of work to make this good.

The ice came out looking great, can you clarify what you mean by "blending textures/colors based on normals"? It's not really clear to me what's going on from the images. Also, how'd you like ASE?

Pretty simple, I grab the surface normal of the model, and based on how up it's pointing blend between two colours (white for up, blue for sideways). it's pretty accidental it looks as good as it does, when you play the game you'll probably see a few blemishes too.

So far, I like ASE, but i have really only scratched the surface. It's probably a 6/10 for intuitiveness, which, ain't bad. Looks to be a pretty powerful tool.

Seeing all those little tutorials I definitely wanted to create an environment I could play around with some ideas in. I think, my take away, is that I am not really ready to dedicate all that much time to being a game artist.

The first time I baked the lights it was an overnight job. The second time I left in running overnight and it was crashing out because it used all my RAM. I started looking into how to optimize the process, Unity's tutorial on baked lighting optimization is mega huge, you have to go per object, and yeah, okay, definitely not ready to spend that much time on game art :P

I think the gameplay feels really natural and cool. I would definitely like to see this developed further (to what direction, I do not know).

I like that you can shoot backwards while running, but I'm not sure what to think of this:

seriously_maam.png.020b943f49dd57f8b12ef60c616681ba.png