Jake

Important If True 43: The Bad Gift Special

Important If True 43:

Important If True 43

The Bad Gift Special
When someone says, "the gift that keeps on giving," they're usually describing something good, something exciting, something people want. But what about the bad gifts? The gift you ask for but regret? The gift you already have, then foist off onto a family member under an oath of silence? The gift that tricks your childhood brain into thinking you're a genius? The gifted Hawaiian shirts, owls, books on meerkats, or anything else given by the truckload that, once your loved ones decided you liked, and couldn't help but keep on giving year after year? We are here for you, with the Important If True Bad Gift Special. Join us for tales of gifts gone awry, gifts given on loop forever, and sometimes even the story of a bad gift that turned good.

Bad gifts discussed: Opening your gifts early would ruin the surprise!

Send us your questions at [email protected]. If you enjoyed this and would like to subscribe to an ad-free feed, please consider supporting Idle Thumbs by backing our Patreon.

If you have a Bad Gift story for us, send it to [email protected] with the subject line "Bad Gift," and we'll include it in next year's special!

2 hours ago, Salacious Snake said:

Holy shit, this story at the top. Chris! Good grief. 

Yeah incredible. 

Children are possibly my least favorite creatures in existence. When can we replace them with small robots?

30 minutes ago, Kyir said:

Children are possibly my least favorite creatures in existence. When can we replace them with small robots?

We already have the technology.

This was a great episode. Amazing stories overall!

With that technology, we could all relive Chris’s Christmas experience whenever we wanted! 

Actually, the "getting barfed on at the ballet" story is a common urban legend. This is just another example of how "I heard about it online" turns into "it happened to a friend," which turns into "it happened to me a few days ago and I vividly remember it, and also my wife was there and can corroborate." It's just amazing how these stories become more and more related to the teller in the retelling.

5 hours ago, your name here said:

Actually, the "getting barfed on at the ballet" story is a common urban legend. This is just another example of how "I heard about it online" turns into "it happened to a friend," which turns into "it happened to me a few days ago and I vividly remember it, and also my wife was there and can corroborate." It's just amazing how these stories become more and more related to the teller in the retelling.

Tune in next week when we here the story from Nick, whose new Canadian hairdresser told it like it happened to one of her customers.

That science theory... Isn't that the basic plot for Interstellar? Like, we are laughing at it because a kid wrote it, but it is basically a Sci-Fi plot.