Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 416: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith

Three Moves Ahead 416:

Three Moves Ahead 416

Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith
This week Michael, Bruce, Jonathan Bolding, and Troy "I've never met a succubus I didn't like" Goodfellow talk about Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith. Illwinter Games continues their long-running master class in world building and fiction in games with the fifth entry in the series. Dominions combines wargaming with a diverse fantasy setting that has attracted a loyal fanbase over several versions and decades. The panel talks about what is new in the series, whether the graphics really matter, and why it's fun to be a monolith.

Dominions 5, Conquest of Elysium

There are 2 large and very veteran discord servers, Dominions and Clockwork Hounds, both of which are linked on the sidebar of all three Dominion reddits. They are distinct because Clockwork Hounds has a server available for direct connect and plays it's games using that and Dominions uses llamaserver as mentioned on the podcast. Most every player that is on one of these servers is on both. With a slightly smaller and less veteran group is a discord server called Reddit Dominions that tries to interaction with all three of the Dominion reddits. This one also uses llamaserver for most games.

Between the 3 of them there are more than 45 games going on them. It takes about 2 days to fill up a new game atm.

This is a dumb observation, but I love how this game handles wacky resolutions and stuff, which seems pretty unusual for an indie game like this. I can play it in 4K on my laptop (on low settings) and have super sharp text and stuff, but the UI is scaled to a reasonable size. Like, the UI size is independent of the resolution.

Like I said, not that interesting, but I really appreciate it!

Great podcast. I've bounced off the series myself a few times (participated in a couple of Dom3 mulitplayer games, bought Dom4 but never spent much time with it). But it is still a lot of fun to hear you guys chat about this.

i'd love to see the Dominions lore used in some other games. They've got a really interesting twist on a lot of factions, for example the Romans turning into a death cult (if i remember that correctly?)

Cool to hear VGA Planets mentioned in this episode.  Played that game quite a bit back in the day.  Speaking of which that game does have websites, or had websites, which ran games- both vanilla and modded.  Like circus maximus. Why wouldn't Dominion have something similar?  

Also funny how Troy says he doesn't have any final thoughts and then proceeds to give a bunch of final thoughts. 

I finally found some time to play this gem.  I have two and a half playthroughs:).  I am getting into the setting and game structure.  

One of the guest mentioned writing a manual?  I would love to read it and get further into this deep game.  

On 5/12/2019 at 6:48 AM, Tdoggs said:

I finally found some time to play this gem.  I have two and a half playthroughs:).  I am getting into the setting and game structure.  

One of the guest mentioned writing a manual?  I would love to read it and get further into this deep game.  

I wrote the manual. It is free for download from the game's web page.

http://www.illwinter.com/dom5/docs.html

You can also get a printed version for the cost of printing/shipping. (neither I nor Illwinter make anything from it.)

http://www.lulu.com/shop/http://www.lulu.com/shop/bruce-geryk/dominions-5-color/paperback/product-24048340.html