Logo_2_s.png

So for this jam I'm going to be revisiting the game I made for the third wizard jam, Rogue Robot Rogues. That game was originally made within a weekend and inspired entirely by me drawing two circles, one small inside the other and thinking what if the big one was some sort of wave. This expanded to the player controlling the security system (or Intrusion Countermeasures Electronics - ICE) for the mainframe of a company, armed with an EMP wave and a turret.

Update-4.6.gif

In the intervening year and a bit, I have gotten much more into cyberpunk as a genre of sci-fi and after reading Neuromancer it got me thinking what life would be like to work for one of those companies, on the other side of the fight.

"Techs down from the arcologies. [Case] supposed that meant the arena had the approval of some corporate recreational committee. He wondered briefly what it would be like, working all your life for one zaibatsu. Company housing, company hymn, company funeral." - Neuromancer

The other main issue with Rogue Robot Rogues was the lack of depth in the gameplay with the only verbs available to the player being turning and shooting. For this redesign I'm focusing a lot more on the creation of the ICE itself with the finished experience hopefully closer to a real-time puzzle game, focusing on the performance of the ICE constructs that the player constructs to ice programs.

The Team:

Art, Design - Me, Sam (@Mythalore)

Dev, Design - Harry (@HarryMcAlpine)

Music - @Atlantic

Sound Design - Toby

So far we have the logo above and have managed to resurrect the code I had in progress for the new version of Rogue Robot Rogues, complete with a new art style that I created for NEON Shell as it was titled. Although we will most likely have to rewrite the system to support the new mechanics and update to Unity 2017.2.

shot-NEON-1.png

So me and @HarryMcAlpine had the first proper design meeting today, we outlined the major systems and are pretty much ready to get going!

I'm going to be working on the UI while Harry tackles the "game".

Here's where we ended up, there's probably a game in there somewhere. :lol:

Design-Meeting-1.png

Progress as been made on the UI, I've got a movable window which will hold a lot of the more macro mechnics in the game like the upgrade system.

2017-12-21_01-15-34.gif

@coughlinjon The idea is that the player will be able to build and upgrade the system through a series of nodes, in order to give more depth to the game than just turning and firing at enemies.

Post Christmas Update!

I've got a working node system in now, just need to figure out the best ui/controls for it.

I'm going to take time tomorrow to do a proper mock up of the ui/graphics for ICE Wave, which should help keep things on track.

Nodes.gif