gerbilsinspace

[Released] Dunkin' Bronuts

Hey! My first child is due to be born on the 20th December! Let's see what I can come up with before I become a father!

My game is Dunkin' Bronuts, a peanut throwing game for 2 players! Throw nuts into your stash, and catch your opponents nuts so they can't do the same. Most nuts wins!

A feature complete but unpolished version is out on itch.io right now. https://gerbilsinspace.itch.io/dunkin-bronuts

5a35571a6dc3c_ScreenShot2017-12-16at17_24_30.thumb.png.588ff8102861f5b8c31761c96e5fb31a.png5a35571bc49f7_ScreenShot2017-12-16at17_24_51.thumb.png.dbec3c649f7c9438f762835e5f9d822a.png

I will admit that I haven't done it myself yet, because I'm still trying to come up with a name for either of my non-jam projects, but how about Itch.io? Is that cool? :)

Also: yes, congrats on the absolute best excuse for not finishing up some feature or mechanic ever! That's some really remarkable planning. 

I will host the game on itch.io if I can, it is more that I don’t know how to turn a game made in the PICO-8 engine into a web game without hosting it on their forum.

I've now updated the game so it tells you who wins. It also has music, and a splash screen.

The game is feature complete, and if I had to release the game in it's latest form, I would be okay with it. That being said, I would love to give the game more polish.

I would like to tune the difficulty of the game a little bit. Catching the opponents nuts is too difficult as the throw is too fast. I would like there to be more of an arc to the throw.

I would like more animation on the characters, and I'd like to add some screen shake when a character scores. It would be good to add some sfx to actions, too.

Playtesters needed! It's quite hard to test a 2 player game by yourself, so if you and a friend have a minute or two to spare, give the latest version of the game a try and give me feedback.

So, we now have sound effects! We have a better throw feel!

Any extra changes to the game that I want to do will probably take longer than I'd like, and may have to wait until after baby is born before I'm willing to take them on. If someone wants to help with more sprites, for jumping, and throwing states of the creatures, for example I'd be happy to code them in, but I don't have the time to do that work myself.

I'd also like to make the arc of the throw slower, so players have more time to try and catch the nuts, but that would require me rewriting my (terrible) throwing code. I would prefer to ship this in it's current state with the hope of revisiting it at a later date.

Any smaller feedback I receive will be worked on when resting from putting together baby beds and things. :)

Well done! I recommend adding a [RELEASED] to the front of your thread title so people can see from the board that it's finished and available. You can either edit your OP (you used to need to choose 'Full Editor' to change the title, but it seems that's no longer the case) or simply hover your cursor over the title and then click and hold to edit it.

(I think I'll pop something about this in the main Jam thread too.)

image.png.1d903015bb195170152ab395fbe9cc6e.png

It's probably a fools hope, but I now plan to sleep. Turns out, Labour can be *hard*!

I've added Released to the title name. Thanks everyone!

57 minutes ago, gerbilsinspace said:

I've added Released to the title name. Thanks everyone!

"Delivered" might be more appropriate in this case :P 

Congrats to both, releasing your game and your little wizard daughter! May she be jamming in the future as well! 

Congrats on the new baby!

Your game was charming as heck! The Wizard Jam 6 jingle was great. I played both sides and thought it was pretty nice that you could try to juke the other player by throwing above or below.

Nice job x 2!

I didn't get to test this properly because of the two-player thing, but I like the basic gameplay concept and art style quite a bit. Again congrats on the baby!