brendonsmall

[Released!] Get Hoisted

I think I've reached a solid conclusion regarding gameplay. 

There will be "rounds" of cars to inspect and fix, based on a work order

• Clean car
  • Change tire(s)
  • Replace missing Lug nuts
  • Change plate numbers
  • Etc. (?)

When you are done, you hand in your work and get an inspection and score card. If you get sick of that, I don't know, take a coffee break, go throw some stuff off the roof and see what happens.

licensePlateEdit.jpg.7d486cfd562fb63eda0fb6e58d78b393.jpg

I know I missed the jam deadline by a country mile, but I am still chipping away at this. 

WJ6WIPJan24.thumb.jpg.461cb02d7a8888a4a1f5fa573228d66f.jpg

Core game loop is there, just working on rounding out the lighting, sounds, and props/interactions. Still have a bit of model and texture work to do as well. Having a lot of fun with this project :)

Trying to figure out how to convey a nicer "I am basically inside a 1970s sitcom right now" feel. I started to play around with the post-processing stack a bit. Warm up the color, give it some grain, burn it out a little.

WJPostStackTest.thumb.jpg.a6e5ae27956e9fac2fe0e32adc0bd83c.jpg

Closer to finished with the work order computer system. Jobs are now timed, which can impact score for better or worse.

wj6WorkOrderMachine.jpg.15f89032b81a4e6655ac6a7e4dcceafa.jpg

Also working on job score cards. If you go too fast to game the time bonus, you can actually get penalized. If its somewhere in between regular and really fast, you get a bonus, but the computer suspects you.

wj6Scorecard.jpg.ba49c48ef5132daee6f2b391bb50810d.jpg

Added UI/sfx for the achievements interface. Some funny things in there I hope:

cheevoTester.gif.11e0a62e5dfea49dc3f89a99c9ea9dc8.gif

Also added a shop radio that you can play and move around:

Starting to round the bend on this project. Made some more props to fill in the gaps of the garage.

propsTest3.gif.eade9a1b760fb3a43d4a5d186ca3e38b.gif

Next up: Ensure the tutorial works, make sure I didn't break saved games, etc.

This is looking better and better. :)

Any ETA on a release date? Every time the thread's updated I keep hoping you've released it. Is it still a free game or are you going commercial?

9 hours ago, Henke said:

This is looking better and better. :)

Any ETA on a release date? Every time the thread's updated I keep hoping you've released it. Is it still a free game or are you going commercial?

I really wanted to be done by month end, but it might be a bit longer. I am definitely at the point where I am aggressively "killing my darlings" in terms of scope, and figuring out which items I really have to have for it to feel whole. For example, I think I am going to drop the "roof access" second level because it will just take too long and not really have the payoff I want.

I still plan on releasing for free, and might do the itchio "pay something if you want" model. This project has become more a proving ground for what The Next (Commercial) Game could be in terms of budget/scope.

I hope you like it once it's out!

Update:

Not quite done yet, but definitely in the last bits of the project. Working on polishing up the menus and UI transitions, "first job" tutorial/hints, and finalizing some of the sound effects.

Also some world space hint graphics, and a nifty little "force player to look at this thing over here" mechanism to guide the player's view during the tutorial a bit:

WJ6Intro.gif.d3d418c36f796a25c458369c4a13a708.gif

Did a lot of work on the tutorial sequences today. Here's a short video showing the "rookie jobs" that the player will have to complete to get into the full chaos of the game:

Added Hardcore Mode for any score-chasing, speedrunning type folks:

Was going to make it spit out a shredded Gamer Card if you disabled it, but scope and all that.

Nearly there. Most/all props are now done, core systems done, and just have some UI polish and bits to finish.

wj6PropUpdate.thumb.jpg.eea3d8b7dfaf0adcdc138b91bcff57c7.jpg

(Don't mind the shoddy light bake, my test bakes are only set to 2 texels :violin:)

Next up I need to make some screenshots, maybe a trailer if I'm feeling like it, and then release this over-scope boy into the world.