fabian

[RELEASED] The World Begins With You

10 minutes ago, fabian said:

Congratulations, you found the secret ending! 

(wtf?! :D )

I couldn't make the clip long enough, but if you go to the right of the door (behind some big rocks to an area you can't actually see) and just keep walking right, you end up behind things. 

Edit: You can see how I did it starting here. But also, know I'm fairly sassy throughout the game, which again, I found to be pretty incredible. 

33 minutes ago, RubixsQube said:

I couldn't make the clip long enough, but if you go to the right of the door (behind some big rocks to an area you can't actually see) and just keep walking right, you end up behind things. 

Edit: You can see how I did it starting here. But also, know I'm fairly sassy throughout the game, which again, I found to be pretty incredible. 

Thanks for sharing, gotta fix that soon.

The sassy players find the most bugs so they are very appreciated!

13 hours ago, fabian said:

I think both points are very true. I think the platforming would work with this kind of camera if it wasn't full 3D but 2.D (like e.g. Inside), where the character only can walk left or right on a straight line.

This is a good point. It might be a bit hard to implement but sidescroller type camera and movement would definitely make solve the platforming issue.

This title appears to have made some people on twitter a little upset!

Upset isn't really the right word but I'm no good with those. Anyway, congrats on getting the RPS article! I'll have to check it out soon

The only reason I'm reading this topic is because I'm expecting references to The World Ends With You

(the game literally ends with a rework of the title art to say 'The World Begins With You')

Putting something like this together in such a short time is very impressive! Very well done!

Like has been pointed out earlier in this thread, this could very well be the prettiest Game Jam title I've seen yet!

Having recently played through Shadow of the Colussus, I must say the world's aesthetic in TWBWY gave me a similar feel.

There are a few of things I'd like to critique though, mostly with how the environment art guides the player through the space in one section. Hiding in a spoiler so I don't eat up all the space.

Spoiler

TWBWY1.thumb.png.8b3bace8a10017038927835a182d9d18.png

In this section of the game, the grass and the wall of off-kilter rocks creates paths that direct the player toward this platform at the very bottom of the screen. The shape of that platform makes it look like a safe gameplay space, perfectly guiding the player up onto it.

TWBWY2.thumb.png.11e47adf9bc0a6bcfe2b73175988eb03.png

After getting onto the platform itself however, I was initially confused as to where I was supposed to go. I had stop to figure out where the playable space was.  Although the rock wall that helped guide us onto this platform (above the red arrow) looks more  safe from this direction, the height of the first rock both looks too high to scale and obscures the other rocks you need to reach behind it.

Another problem is the use of grass on the platforms circled in blue. As in the previous picture, the grass is easily read as a boundary, especially with the "clean" surfaces of the rock wall right next to it. Covered up, the surface is also less readable as a solid and safe spot to jump to.

TWBWY3.thumb.png.0265b85c41587c21648a5ab8bb8c8e8c.png

So while the first tall rock (next to the character) does obscure the path, the grass on both sides of it and that it's lit almost all the way (unlike the first grassy platform which is covered in shadow) guide me up along the red arrow, across those platforms in the back.

As the camera does not follow, it does become apparent that this is not the correct path, and in the end it I wasn't stuck for long. But here's what I'd done to help the player find their way a little easier in this section:

• Move the tall rock so it does not obscure the path behind it.
  • Remove the grass on the platforms so their surfaces become and visible and look safe to jump to.
  • Make it more apparent that the row of platforms at the back are not a viable path, for example by removing the two pillars covered in blue so that the distance to the next one is clearly unreachable

Like I said in the beginning though, what you've done is truly impressive and I really look forward to seeing what you do next!