fabian

[RELEASED] The World Begins With You

The game is now released and you can download it on itch.io!  

https://fabiandenter.itch.io/the-world-begins-with-you

header_final.thumb.png.f04dc86c640635789d8b4f36dba7dac1.png

Thank you for checking it out! :) 

----------

Original Post:

----------

After doing a first person game with attempted realistic graphics for WJ5, I want to  do something different this time.
Sooo... I'll try to make a third person game with some sort of stylized/lowpoly aesthetic. I haven't decided yet, but I think it's going to be mostly top down exploration stuff, maybe with some short platforming areas. Also something with mazes, because I like mazes. The title is borrowed from Idle Weekend episode "The World Ends (and Begins) With You".

In terms of story and atmosphere I want to do something "darker" and personal, but abstract. Think of something along the lines of Inside, but with more color? I don't know yet, still very vague ideas here. :)  Robots will of course be in there as well and you'll be able to speak to them, at least that's planned.

Like WJ5 this will be an art-heavy thing for me as I'm still more on the environment art side of things, but I worked a bit on my understanding of c#, so let's see where this takes me.
However,  I will be using a third person controller asset from the store, but will try to do do the rest of the gameplay myself. I even have a puzzle in my mind that I think I'd be able to code ... at least theoretically. I also already experimented with a speechbubble system and that crashed Unity, so there we go :D

I expect time to be the most crucial factor. Last time I had he whole two weeks off from work, this time it's the last week of the year. But then again it's the week between Christmas and New Year's, so there isn't as much time as I'd like to have. But I'm still optimistic that I can put something together!

From first-person realistic narrative to third-person low poly exploration, you've got a good repertoire! One day I'd love to see a continuation of Transmission Lost, but in the meantime really looking forward to seeing what you do this time. Can't wait! :)

12 hours ago, phill said:

One day I'd love to see a continuation of Transmission Lost

I actually thought of that at first and also already had some ideas but I think I would need way more time for that than "two weeks minus christmas" :D

Mayyybeee in the future..

I expect the lowpoly stuff will be quicker to make for me, as there won't be much texturing, no normal map baking and so on. On the other hand the environments probably need to be bigger when the game is in third person so this could backfire at the end when I realize I need more objects in my scenes. -_-

Though what I'm most concerned about is the character and his rigging/animation. Haven't done that in a while.

Yesterday I experimented a bit with Unity's UI to build a simple menu. Brackeys recently uploaded two videos covering that topic and they are really good! I would definitely recommend them for anybody who's having problems building a simple main menu.

Decided to tackle the character first as this was giving me a headache. It is now modeled, rigged and - thank god - weighted! 

5a35b3bce3c59_2017-12-17at00-59-29.thumb.jpg.48c2f3b8c32828bed0395493ae923ead.jpg

I also posed him and did some paint-overs in photoshop to put out some ideas for his texture, maybe you can post your favorite? I have a few ones that I like better than others, but I'm not sure. 

character_concept_colors.thumb.jpg.f86445ed4b3664e719820030cee57bbd.jpg

Very cool character, can't wait to see them in action.

For the outfit I really like B and I.

Just to weigh in I'd say C and I.

Also I'm getting a pretty strong feminine vibe from the model and that pose, not a problem just thought it was worth pointing out.

Looking good!

I'm closing the votes now, and the winner is: I! I think everyone mentioned it except for one person and I am totally fine with that choice. Though my favorite was G, which nobody mentioned -_- Thanks for giving input :)

3 minutes ago, Mythalore said:

Just to weigh in I'd say C and I.

Also I'm getting a pretty strong feminine vibe from the model and that pose, not a problem just thought it was worth pointing out.

Looking good!

That's actually cool, as I don't want to give that character a definitve gender. (I always refer to the character as "him", but that's probably just the German in me, because in German "character/Charakter" is by default a "male" word).

----

Another update:

I managed to animate him (idle, walking and running) and - after a few problems with importing - get the animations into Unity. Applying them to the third person controller asset that I use was very easy and worked without problems. They also blend really nice into each other.

giphy.gif.a8caea81e46a5395bf9ac766770ee3f4.gif

this is what the animations first looked like. Fabulous, but not really what I wanted :lol:

I spend way too much time on my main & pause menu and on my save and load system today. But now it's finally quite robust, though it's probably not coded very elegantly. I'm using playerprefs here to store the current position of the player and the current scene and load that back in when needed. 

The settings menu was done following Brackeys's tutorials which I linked in a post above and I added that the settings are also now saved into player prefs.

Here it is in action (also cloth on the character!):

To Do:

- tomorrow after work I'll probably do some art assets for the main and pause menu, currently these are all standard Unity buttons/sliders/toggles

22 hours ago, zerofiftyone said:

This is looking so great already @fabian

Thanks zero!

---

Didn't have much time today because of my day job, but nevertheless managed to put some style on the menus:

5a3842cae2879_2017-12-18at23-33-24.thumb.jpg.55c9461edbe7e98114e2835b24ad4020.jpg

5a3842d813f8d_2017-12-18at23-33-45.thumb.jpg.ebb70f6b111f7c11732d0812cc92b81c.jpg

Oh wow, this looks so good. I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished result.

Also, that accidental prance-mode animation would be a fun game too.

Thanks all!

--

Made as many assets as I could today...5a399f586fdf6_2017-12-20at00-21-25.thumb.jpg.fcc3254a3a4863f01630c00356e163f0.jpg

5a399f59c08a4_2017-12-20at00-21-38.thumb.jpg.7e0d498cf974bf134a3e438abc4a4cb1.jpg

5a399f5acbb08_2017-12-20at00-21-46.thumb.jpg.79f637cd079e31e75dda8689bbbe3a9a.jpg

5a399f5b77828_2017-12-20at00-21-55.jpg.811c379ebf22d4bbad7960307cd57411.jpg

5a399f5c5eff2_2017-12-20at00-22-13.thumb.jpg.b9ab01dda1ec7124780c5e4978c891eb.jpg

... and put them into Unity for a first look :)

(the ambient sfx are very much placeholder)

The project is looking gorgeous!

One thing that's bugging me though is that the footfalls of the character don't quite match up with your movement, and it looks kinda like they're slipping along the ground... It's only during the run animation though, and all the others are really well done. :D

Seeing the style you've used with the arches, I'm actually really interested in finding out what the robots will look like!

4 hours ago, Eastep said:

The project is looking gorgeous!

One thing that's bugging me though is that the footfalls of the character don't quite match up with your movement, and it looks kinda like they're slipping along the ground... It's only during the run animation though, and all the others are really well done. :D

Seeing the style you've used with the arches, I'm actually really interested in finding out what the robots will look like!

Thanks!

About the running: I think you're right. There was something bugging me too about something with the walking/running, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

I think I made the running animation to "fast" in terms of how much distance the character would cover with one step. Though I like the animation itself, maybe I include sprinting and use it for that, with a slower running animation for the current run animation.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

And the robots.. yeah I need an idea for them soon, they are kind of vague in my head right now :D