Sign in to follow this  
TychoCelchuuu

In the Valley of Gods - Indie-film Ana Jones (Campo Santo's New Valve Game) is Canceled Forever

The trailer for this just played at hashtag The Game Awards. Looks amazing. You play as a woman in Egypt making silent films with some other woman, it looks like. I'm puuuuumped.

edit: it's "on hold" aka presumably canceled because that's Valve, babyyyyyyy

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, making a 1920's era documentary is a crazy great thing to do in a game. I haven't played Firewatch yet (my laptop can't run it) but I hope by 2009 I have some piece of equipment that can run this because this is so up my alley. 

If anyone from Campo Santo is reading this, what is the music in the trailer? I may well be mistaken but I'd be surprised if it's an original composition and I can't find the track listing anywhere where the trailer's been officially posted.

2 minutes ago, Patrick R said:

I haven't played Firewatch yet (my laptop can't run it) but I hope by 2009 I have some piece of equipment that can run this because this is so up my alley. 

If your goal is to be ready by 2009 I have bad news.

The music in the trailer is Muddy Waters by LP.

Looks amazing, I will totally buy it, but could they not have made your partner have Jessica Rabbit hips/butt?

28 minutes ago, TychoCelchuuu said:

If your goal is to be ready by 2009 I have bad news.

The music in the trailer is Muddy Waters by LP.

Something in me cannot acknowledge the possibility that we'll all still be alive in 2019.

2 hours ago, Cordeos said:

Looks amazing, I will totally buy it, but could they not have made your partner have Jessica Rabbit hips/butt?

I think it's maybe partly exacerbated by the jodhpur style pants?

Ooooohh... This looks awesome! The setting seems perfect for this type of game.

Outstanding trailer, well done whoever put it together. The LP track works perfectly, but I also really like the orchestral overture at the start, is it Chris' work? :tup:

Very excited about the setting and everything revealed in the article. Day one perch!

The shocking twist will be that your partner is actually your own ghost from 17 hours ago.

It looks great! The Firewatch aesthetic lends itself well to those beautiful Egyptian murals and hieroglyphics. The best part, though, is the precious video real estate spent on the operation of the antique camera with all its knobs and twists. I can picture the Campo Santo folks obsessing over getting all of that right.

I am suitably intrigued. Some of the swooshy head motions made me think of VR? But it might just be the fossicking about in first-person (a core part of the Firewatch aesthetic).

The IGN article sent me down a wikipedia rabbit hole reading about Nefertiti. Apparently her tomb has never been found, which means it's definitely full of ghost.

I hope they can make creating tiny low-fi black & white videos compelling.  That little black & white clip at the end seems like a disappointing version of that glorious wide-screen, full-color sunrise.

Maybe if they lean into getting the player to learn the difference between what looks good in color and what makes a good-looking black & white film, that could be very cool.

When this video came on I hollered. I showed it to my wife, who does not make time in her life for spectacle like the video game awards and instead relies on me to pare out for her the worthwhile parts, and she, too, hollered.

13 hours ago, Cordeos said:

I get this, but also I don't think your partner is sexualized in the trailer, except the fact that society has decided that women's hips and butts are inherently arousing. I think it's nice for them to have a black woman on screen that looks like many black women do, that is, with big hips, thighs and a butt.

Very cool. Love the tactile inventory exchanges. A lot of literal and figurative gravity on that camera satchel.

Great character animation and environments.

Can't wait to see how Far Cry 2 systems apply to documentary film making. Looking forward to viewing footage from a camera that rolled down a hill and started a fire.

The line between "sexy" and "sexualized" hasn't at all been crossed, in my opinion. And I honestly don't see how "Valley of Gods" could cross that line seeing that it's about two independent women chatting about the nitty-gritty of film making in the 1920s instead of all those hunks they drool over. There's no male gaze situation going on in the trailer. The lady isn't overly exposed, the clothes look fairly practical and situation adequate. Etc. The broad hips are just a cartoon shorthand and not inherently misogynist.

The trailer: Great scenes, good impression of what we're looking at in less than two years' time. I always prefer third person to first person particulary in games in which the main character actually is a character, but I'll make an exception for the new Campo Santo game. Oooof couuuurse. And in the Unreal Engine, all this can run so much better than in Unity (nothing against Unity though).

1 hour ago, Vainamoinen said:

The broad hips are just a cartoon shorthand and not inherently misogynist.

The character shape brought to mind Elastigirl from The Incredibles for me - that stylised exaggerated form. I'm sure it's been done with an awareness.

Looks great! And 2019 gives me time to find something that will run Firewatch.