Sign in to follow this  
TychoCelchuuu

In the Valley of Gods - Indie-film Ana Jones (Campo Santo's New Valve Game) is Canceled Forever

6 hours ago, Ben X said:

Surely he'll single-handedly revive and release Half-Life 2 episode 3...

Confirmed.

Holy moly! Congratulations to everybody involved :tup:

So, does this mean that technically Valve is publishing a game on Switch now?!?

I hope this is good for the team (I expect so or they wouldn't have done it) but I'm not happy for me; Valve's cloud of silence is incompatible with my enjoyment of the Thumbs, and I hate the idea of their game being locked into Steam.

6 hours ago, osmosisch said:

I hope this is good for the team (I expect so or they wouldn't have done it) but I'm not happy for me; Valve's cloud of silence is incompatible with my enjoyment of the Thumbs, and I hate the idea of their game being locked into Steam.

I have lots of beef with valve as a company and the products they put out. The one thing that I don't think will change is the way the thumbs talk about their projects though, given that they're already pretty quiet about what they're working on.

3 hours ago, jennegatron said:

I have lots of beef with valve as a company and the products they put out. The one thing that I don't think will change is the way the thumbs talk about their projects though, given that they're already pretty quiet about what they're working on.

FWIW we do actually try to talk about our projects a lot, just not on our own podcasts. We're still planning on blogging about the development process etc., without any real change.

Does this mean that In the Valley of Gods will be Valve's first game to not use the Source engine since it's creation?

I heard this news on the Bombcast and did a double take. Congrats! I'm sure you're excited about it, but I hope you got a nice payday too.

Went into that interview hoping to be reassured they'd keep making games after In The Valley of Gods and got zero of that. Oh well.

"Sean Vanaman: Not living in the pile of scooters that is now San Francisco. Those fucking scooters man, you’ve got to get out of there."

Sean is my hero

They didn't answer the question everyone wants to know the answer to:

"Will there be hats?"

That's quite an interesting interview although it is about as much detail as I was expecting (i.e. not much). Which is fine. I would have liked to have seen a question or two about how they feel now about working in proximity to the murkier side of the Hat Economy stuff they've talked about over the years, but perhaps it would be unfair at this stage.

I confess I'm still a little confused about the existence or otherwise of Campo Santo as a company, just because this was commonly reported as Valve 'acquiring' them. But it sounds like they are all just Valve employees now with the company as a separate entity still owned by Jake and Sean? This is probably just me being ignorant about something, sorry.

Excited as ever to see what comes next, anyway.

The Artists Formerly Known As Campo Santo [But Now Valve Employees], naturally. Nice interview.

In the Valley of Gods - Indie-film Ana Jones (Campo Santo's New Valve Game)

*In the Valley of Gods - Indie-film Ana Jones (Valve's new game)

9 hours ago, marginalgloss said:

I confess I'm still a little confused about the existence or otherwise of Campo Santo as a company, just because this was commonly reported as Valve 'acquiring' them. But it sounds like they are all just Valve employees now with the company as a separate entity still owned by Jake and Sean? This is probably just me being ignorant about something, sorry.

That's my impression as well. The employees of Campo Santo have become Valve employees, and Campo Santo as a company still exists and owns Firewatch, and is owned by Sean & Jake. They acquired the employment contracts of the team without acquiring the business itself.

What a frustrating interview. You can see John trying to get anything but it's all just "we're super excited to have cool people around" which, duh, and how it's cool that they don't have to do payroll and stuff anymore. I guess it all makes sense from their perspective, so I'm happy for them but I'm sad there's one fewer cool game company out there.

One cool thing to read was how much indie outreach Jake's apparently been doing, kudos!

6 hours ago, osmosisch said:

One cool thing to read was how much indie outreach Jake's apparently been doing, kudos!

Man, imagine being Sean and thinking "now I will finally get recognition for all the work I've been doing" and then your own forums confuse you with Jake.

7 hours ago, TychoCelchuuu said:

Man, imagine being Sean and thinking "now I will finally get recognition for all the work I've been doing" and then your own forums confuse you with Jake.

That's the internet for you :P

9 hours ago, TychoCelchuuu said:

Crap. My bad.

Congratulations to the entire Campo Santo team!  I hope everyone got paid, and paid well indeed!

I've personally never gotten over the CS GO skins gambling scandal and Valve's role in it, which was to willfully ignore it while perfecting the loot box economy that made it all possible. I sort of see Valve as an epitome of the libertarian tech boss so often lampooned on Important if True.

In other words I've got mixed feelings.  But hey, video games!