z_bill

Veggie Panino Tactics [Release]

Ok, I was terrible at keeping a running devlog here, but NO MATTER because...

It's out! Play it here.

Here's some screens!

5tsjkoI.png

DBPMaPo.png

TJ5oOdV.png

...I'll put some cool gifs up tomorrow! 

Please play and let me know how you like it! Thank you all wizjammers!

Original post:

Here we go!

I'm making an interactive comic story.

I browsed through Important If True episodes adding "Tactics" to each to find the most ridiculous thing I could possibly make a game out of. You know, as a challenge! I burst out laughing with this one and thought, "I'll never be able to make anything cool out of Veggie Panino Tactics!" Fast forward one hour and I had sketched out an entire absurd story.

It's, uh, about a vegetable man and his war with monsters made of meat. So, like, my own take on vegetarianism I guess.

eVmQLHy.png

I'm doing this! Yesterday, I came up this idea and thought it was grand. Today I spent most the day convincing myself it is waaay too stupid. But finally, I said "screw it!" and it's now an official devlog any everything so I can't possibly go back on it...

Long live wizjam!

"Yesterday, I came up this idea and thought it was grand. Today I spent most the day convincing myself it is waaay too stupid." haha this will be inscribed on my tombstone. 
Looking forward to this tale. 

So cool how a random idea like that still reflects back on what's happening in your life, your take on vegetarianism. Good luck, sounds ace!

Okay, those meat monsters are terrifying. Against my better judgment I'm rooting for Mr. Panino.

On 12/6/2017 at 12:32 PM, plasticflesh said:

This looks like an excellent meditation on Ahimsa. The tactics of non-violent tactics?

Um...yes! It might very well end up as that! Though I'm thinking that's the first time I've heard that word...

I'll do my best!

On 12/6/2017 at 11:21 PM, infamous space turtle said:

"Yesterday, I came up this idea and thought it was grand. Today I spent most the day convincing myself it is waaay too stupid." haha this will be inscribed on my tombstone. 
Looking forward to this tale. 

It would be quite the relevant epitaph. Thanks! 

On 12/11/2017 at 8:50 AM, hedgefield said:

So cool how a random idea like that still reflects back on what's happening in your life, your take on vegetarianism. Good luck, sounds ace!

Disclaimer: I'm not a vegetarian! Haha. It'll probably be an inaccurate take.

22 hours ago, Zirrrus said:

Okay, those meat monsters are terrifying. Against my better judgment I'm rooting for Mr. Panino.

He's a good egg(plant). I'll make sure your faith isn't mis-rooted.

21 hours ago, Ben X said:

Is it a Cwine?

I'm making a simple thing in gamemaker 2. The idea called for some tilesets and character movement. Cwine is cool though and you guys making those is what gave me the idea to do a more comicky project!

Well reading the comments make me realize you guys are thinking this is gonna be way smarter than what I've actually got planned!

Really it's just about veggie people fighting monsters, haha.

I'm giving myself a head start on the art. They are turning out okay. There's 11 panels/pages and it'll all play out in one big room. 3 endings!

Ok...Day 1 progress.

It may not look like I'm making a comic here. But stay with me!

RUh2ZJy.gif

I'm doing quasi gameboy art but red. I've been inspired by low-rez jam games lately and kinda wanted to make one, so I thought I'd get a head start.

This is 128 x 128 though, and high detail comics panels will fly in there as you walk!

Ok, I was terrible at keeping a running devlog here, but NO MATTER because...

It's out! Play it here.

Here's some screens!

5tsjkoI.png

DBPMaPo.png

TJ5oOdV.png

...I'll put some cool gifs up tomorrow! 

Please play and let me know how you like it! Thank you all wizjammers!

I'm guessing there are three endings? I wasn't able to solve the nightmare puzzle, I'm afraid. Three approached I attempted:

Spoiler
  • Non-violence (it's possible to reach the end without killing any steak beasts, but the game doesn't really seem to acknowledge this approach)
  • Cutting the rope (I was sure that the solution was positioning myself to chop a respawning steak beast along with the rope holding up the large comic panel suspended above the steak monster field, which would have been ingenious and is probably somehow related to the real solution… but nothing I tired had any effect)
  • Travelling back to the start as a ghost (there's no real reason why this would do anything)

I liked it a lot anyway! I look forward to hopefully finding out how to progress.

I stumbled upon the solution to the nightmare puzzle, Veggie Panino triumphed over the horrid meat wastes!

This cool style of comicpanels over/embedded in the gameplay feels extra interesting when the game part is this low res.

43 minutes ago, atte said:

I stumbled upon the solution to the nightmare puzzle, Veggie Panino triumphed over the horrid meat wastes!

Tell me what to do!!

@sergiocornaga

Spoiler

There's a hidden ladder in the end. The 'hitting the beast when it's on the rope' idea you thought is actually really good, and I didn't realize you could even get through without killing anything!

On 12/17/2017 at 3:29 AM, gerbilsinspace said:

I'm far too excited to see how this shapes out. I'm loving the style of what you have so far.

Your comment really kept me going through to the end! Thanks a lot! Let me know what you think of the finished.

On 1/1/2018 at 12:01 AM, sergiocornaga said:

I'm guessing there are three endings? I wasn't able to solve the nightmare puzzle, I'm afraid. Three approached I attempted:

Reveal hidden contents
  • Non-violence (it's possible to reach the end without killing any steak beasts, but the game doesn't really seem to acknowledge this approach)
  • Cutting the rope (I was sure that the solution was positioning myself to chop a respawning steak beast along with the rope holding up the large comic panel suspended above the steak monster field, which would have been ingenious and is probably somehow related to the real solution… but nothing I tired had any effect)
  • Travelling back to the start as a ghost (there's no real reason why this would do anything)

I liked it a lot anyway! I look forward to hopefully finding out how to progress.

Man, you are always the first to play my games! I'm very thankful for all your support!

Spoiler

The non-violent path was not intentional. There was supposed to be no way past the first steak monster. But I screwed some stuff up with the collision boxes, ie: made them too small, and you can occassionally (rarely) glide throgh them w/o chopping. I'm glad you found a way to go non-violent though! I'll consider that the fourth ending, so secret it's not even acknowledged! Just pretend Panino shrugging at the end is a stand-in for me shrugging b/c I didn't think that ending was possible.

haha, you kinda "out-thought" the solution. Your idea is rad though, and when I was testing the game and going backwards through the rooms, I thought it might be bizarre that you can only cut the rope in that one prescribed spot. (note: there is never a reason to go back to a previous area to get an ending. Not sure why I didn't lock them off. I guess I like that open-ness,  even if it's fake, hah!)

I'm super glad the game didn't fully break this time with all your backtracking! I'm definitely going to hire you once I have any budget for playtesting!

3 hours ago, atte said:

This cool style of comicpanels over/embedded in the gameplay feels extra interesting when the game part is this low res.

Thanks, atte! I really wanted to push the pixel vs. high-res art idea in this one. I'm happy with the results!

The contrast between ultra-low res levels and those beautiful panels is very interesting! The sound design fitted very well with the style.