zerofiftyone

WIZARD JAM 6 // Welcome Thread

Excited! 

Not sure how much time I'll have but I still want to try and make something (it just definitely won't be of the same scope as my last game) 

I'm still kinda waffling between deciding if I want to attempt my own game this time or to contribute 3d assets to other games again now that I actually know how to get stuff into unity and fool around with it.  Either are options!

3 hours ago, infamous space turtle said:

make the gam

+1

Just make the design INCREDIBLY SIMPLE. Aim to have it finished in half the time you have, with the rest for polish, bug-hunting, scope-increase etc.

13 hours ago, Ben X said:

+1

Just make the design INCREDIBLY SIMPLE. Aim to have it finished in half the time you have, with the rest for polish, bug-hunting, scope-increase etc.

If it helps, making a very silly jokey game is a very welcome thing. If memory serves, Shoot That Pizza from a couple jams back was super short and a hilarious good time. :tup:

I'll join too. Not sure yet what kind of game it'll be, but I want to try something in 3d with unity this time.

Oh man, I just pushed a work thing to production, so barring disaster I am free in very very IN for Wizard Jam 6.

My goal is to create something weird and hopefully good.:devil:

OKAY!  As of about an hour ago, this jam is now open! Here is the list of jam diversifiers:

diversifiers.png.e4c62b79f90ce05fd4ddb8305d11a79f.png
The diversifiers are an optional challenge for the jam. They're creative prompts, designed to help you design a game around a specific limitation (or set of limitations). You can choose as many (or as few) as you like and incorporate them into your game.

• Talk is cheap - Make a game which is designed around having no written or spoken words whatsoever
  • Performative Development - Stream your development process live using a streaming service such as Twitch.tv
  • "2D's company, 3D's a crowd" - Make a 3D game using only 2D graphics
  • Simple Input - Make a game that can be entirely played with only two buttons
  • Crowd-sourced - Make a game using input from other people. Take on lots of mini-contributions which will be used in the game (e.g. sound recordings or photos), or alternatively let the community vote and decide on creative decisions

Gonna actually make a game this time. I think I can probably make an endless runner based on the title "Once You Start You Can't Stop."

Maybe I'll try for for only two inputs and/or no written/spoken words.

At the eleventh hour I decided to join with the goal of releasing my first public game as a solo dev. The episode title I chose seems to fit well with a couple of the Diversifiers, so I'm pretty excited! Can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with.

Yeah just keep it simple. The main thing I wanted to achieve for this jam was to have a first-person character that can climb up onto ledges in a Blade Runner-esque environment. That's basically done already, so everything else will be fun extras :P

On 12/10/2017 at 12:50 AM, root said:

I'm still kinda waffling between deciding if I want to attempt my own game this time or to contribute 3d assets to other games again now that I actually know how to get stuff into unity and fool around with it.  Either are options!

Yeah, I'm in a similar spot. I mean, I have the tools to make a game, just not sure if I have the time to do everything myself. Last time I just contributed pixel art to a project. 

I think I'm mostly done! It's a really straightforward Twine, so I'm not doing a dev log thread; talking about it at all would basically give away the whole gag. But I'm having a lot of fun. I made a soundtrack and everything.

It's called The Mind-Tech Contingency.

Well, here it is: http://textadventures.co.uk/games/play/am4etg_fs0y_8tiwzdczcg

The itch page is just a link to this other hosting. Itch does some weird stuff with embedding twines that jacks up the formatting real bad. If anyone gives it a go, let me know if it works. If you're playing on a computer, there should be music (which doesn't work on mobile), and the font should be futuristic

It's a modest outing, but I still feel accomplished for having actually finished one of these for once. I've started a ton of twines in the past, but I never saw them through.

5 hours ago, Salacious Snake said:

Well, here it is: http://textadventures.co.uk/games/play/am4etg_fs0y_8tiwzdczcg

The itch page is just a link to this other hosting. Itch does some weird stuff with embedding twines that jacks up the formatting real bad. If anyone gives it a go, let me know if it works. If you're playing on a computer, there should be music (which doesn't work on mobile), and the font should be futuristic

It's a modest outing, but I still feel accomplished for having actually finished one of these for once. I've started a ton of twines in the past, but I never saw them through.

Hey, congrats dude! 

Inspired by the dishonored Christmas that was this monday, instead of working on my jam game I continued this illustration I had started a couple of weeks ago. So here's a random wintery holiday jam greeting to all of you wonderful and wonderfully creative people.

merryWizardJam.thumb.jpg.8a6a0d2d032a819c6f7dc488a615dd5d.jpg

Amazing!

Little Nick said he liked Dot Gobbler once, and now his fucked in terms of presents forever.

Hey, so I had a day off, and I started doing this! Time is scarce from here on out, but I'm happy to have gotten anything going at all.

A question about game titles: Do they have to be named after an episode title? My game is based on the Important If True discussion of genie-proof wishes. I just noticed that episode is called "Pearls Before Slime" which doesn't suggest anything about genies at all. I'm guessing I should call it something else and just cite the episode?

On 12/18/2017 at 8:20 PM, atte said:

Inspired by the dishonored Christmas that was this monday, instead of working on my jam game I continued this illustration I had started a couple of weeks ago. So here's a random wintery holiday jam greeting to all of you wonderful and wonderfully creative people.

Wow this is really good! I knew that little Nick Breckon face immedately. Very nice!

On 19/12/2017 at 9:38 PM, deathmtn said:

Hey, so I had a day off, and I started doing this! Time is scarce from here on out, but I'm happy to have gotten anything going at all.

A question about game titles: Do they have to be named after an episode title? My game is based on the Important If True discussion of genie-proof wishes. I just noticed that episode is called "Pearls Before Slime" which doesn't suggest anything about genies at all. I'm guessing I should call it something else and just cite the episode?

There are no hard rules, so calling it something else is probably the best way forward, if... nontraditional. Perhaps you could find another ep title that fits better, or use a quote from the episode (or keep the title and just stick some pearls and swine in the corner somewhere!)...

@Salacious Snake you might want to make a thread so your game doesn't get missed in the play through weekend...