Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Idle Weekend November 23, 2017: What a Twist!

Idle Weekend November 23, 2017:

Idle Weekend November 23, 2017

What a Twist!
Danielle and Rob are here, in Idle Weekend-land, a very good place, to discuss... The Good Place (spoilers abound), and many other games, shows, and movies that do twists well. Discussed: The Good Place, Mad Men, The Visit, Blade Runner, Momento, The Prestige, Westworld, BioShock, BioShock Infinite, Prey, Edith Finch, SOMA, Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, Mass Effect 3, Forza 7, Valor, Hidden Agenda

Before listening to this episode, I decided to watch Memento and The Prestige since I've been meaning to see them for years. The Prestige was incredible, and something I'll definitely watch again and am sure I'll enjoy even knowing how it plays out. Regarding Memento, however, I went in having already been spoiled, and I stopped watching about 30 minutes in because, as you apparently speculated, it really seems to rely on that uncertainty to not be completely boring.

On the subject of Bioshocks, I really feel that Infinite ruined the first for me. Usually when follow-ups retroactively 'ruin' something, it's because the follow-up is so good that the first doesn't end up having anything going for it that the later work does, or because the newer work disillusions you with something about the first. For myself with Bioshock, I'm not sure the latter reason applies (the first definitely doesn't), but I've found that returning to the first after Infinite far less interesting or good than my first playthrough, even though I had already known the twist ahead of time :(

I rewatched Memento not toooooo long ago and I enjoyed it just as much (if not more) the second time. So I wouldn't say it relies much at all on the uncertainty. I haven't listened to the podcast though, so if they made some good points, I have nothing specific to say about that.