TychoCelchuuu

Wolfenstein II: It's a Blastkowicz

So I played the demo again in English and with mouse & keyboard. It definitely went a lot quicker and I understood more. And with the Steam controller I didn't even figure out what buttons made the stealth kills, but now it was more or less clear. Anyway, it was definitely better now, but I still didn't get a feeling that I definitely should play this so I think I'll skip this game.

Aha.

That's right at the beginning of the game, but if you haven't played The New Order the context and emotion of those characters isn't going to hit. BJ knows all those folks from the events of the first Machine Games Wolfenstein.

So I'm now in New Orleans, and really working hard to not get spoiled on things before listening to goty podcasts. This shit is amazing so far. I've also done every commander side mission available to me so far. I'm playing on Normal (or whatever the medium tier difficulty is) and I have to say, all of the people who recommend Easy mode for this game are really puzzling me. I find the Starbreeze/Machine brand of stealth to be immensely rewarding and fun. I play Wolfenstein the same way that I play an immersive sim, with the added security that if my stealthy-times go astray I can bust out dual schockhammers (obviously the best "time to get shit done" option in the game). Like that, I'm reliably able to whittle down the forces to something manageable before shit goes sideways, and then once shit goes sideways it's all good fun. I still die a bunch, but it always feels fair and I am always able to learn from it and kick more ass the next time. 

I have only once encountered any frustration at all in the game. This would be the court house, which I assume is the part that everyone complains about when they say "that thing halfway through". I will spoil nothing beyond the name of the building and the fact that stealth is not an option in this level. Because of that, I definitely had a lot of trouble here and ended up swearing at the computer a few times before finally finding a defensible position and cheezing the fuck out of it. Other than that, the game (and yes, even all of the side missions that ramp things up) has been smooth sailing. Those who had trouble/busted it down to Easy, what gives? If you play everything on Easy and that's just your style, I got no beef with you, but from the way that people talk, it sounds like those who recommend it in this one are also the people who would normally play other shooters on Normal or Hard. If you're in that boat, what is it about this game that made you switch?

I think the game's difficulty is basically fine, and I played it on Hard or whatever, but I can see why that courthouse fight (which I also think is what everyone's referring to) would kick people's asses. I had to try that like six or eight times at least before I made it through.

Welp, I'm done. Holy shit I'm done. I am severely tempted to boot up The New Order immediately and replay both games on the Wyatt path now just fucking because. The game had NO DAMN RIGHT to be that good. I feel like if it weren't for Zelda, this would definitely have been my goty. Hell, I'm still tempted to say that it is, but I know that saying that right after finishing it isn't really fair. Besides, I still have the Champion Trials to finish in BotW, so I'm being reminded of how good Zelda is all the time now anyway. Still, a very nearly #1 kind of #2 here.

I really do think I'll to a TNO/TNC playthrough next time I get a break from work. That was so good.

I dunno, maybe it was because I played with a controller, but I was getting absolutely melted on the middle difficultly (for experienced players or whatever). There's very little feedback when you're getting hit and enemies can drop you from full health to nothing in an instant. Things are manageable if you take out the commander but I think enemies are too quick to trigger the alarm and once that happens it can get overwhelming very fast and for a run and gun play style you are just too fragile. I ended up dropping down one difficulty after a few levels and I still hit several spots where I died frequently. And fwiw I played the previous game and don't remember having this much of an issue.

See, I had a fantastic time with it playing stealth first, and instantly switching over to dual Schockhammers or dual machine guns (whatever I had the ammo for) as soon as I got spotted. Proprerly upgraded, those things can stagger and drop one of those super soldiers in like 4 hits. They don't have a chance to touch you. As long as you whittle down their numbers before things get hairy, I never had any difficulty with the back half of the game after finding some upgrade packs. Also, if you take the compression vest, one of the perks that comes along with it is time slowing down when you're spotted a la MGSV, so if you're quick with a silenced headshot it's like you were never spotted at all.

In theory I agree with everything you've said. Dual wielding can take guys down super fast and is really satisfying and with upgrades things definitely get easier. Mainly it's when there are multiple enemies or you are getting flanked that shit gets bad. They are very accurate/lethal and I had a very hard time noticing when I was being hit by someone off screen.