Chris

Idle Thumbs BONUS: Ruination Online October 2017

Idle Thumbs BONUS:

Idle Thumbs BONUS

Ruination Online October 2017
Enjoy this bonus episode drawn from the Idle Thumbs Patreon Ruination Online! Each month, we do a livestream where all topics have been posed by high-tier backers of our Patreon campaign: patreon.com/IdleThumbs.

Due to popular demand, we're releasing the audio of that stream to the main podcast feed for easier listening.

We'll be back with a regular episode of Idle Thumbs the first week of November!

Discussed: Curb Your Enthusiasm, what we're doing with our lives, our favorite robot friend, memorable convention experiences, Rock Band, Guitar Hero, gaming peripherals, video game packaging, The Mystery of the Druids' amazing cover art, Dishonored Halloween, old-timey costumes, F/M/K, systemically-generated narrative, Firewatch, questions we won't answer, well-known movies we haven't seen, autotuned karaoke, living in Maryland, dealing with consumers, Jeff Goldblum, considering your unquestioned poisonous views

One game box that made a huge impression on me was the original Civilization.

Box art that for all the world appears to actually be a physical model that was very striking, and stuck with me.

Civilization1BoxArt.jpg

I'm now at the portion of the podcast where Nick angrily describes eating a bushel of crabs in Maryland. He is objectively incorrect, because nowhere did I hear him say "the best eating experience you can have with friends, where you get to hit stuff with a hammer".

The weird partially remembered recollection of the miasma of crab guts and old bay haze was hilarious to listen to, though.

Oh, is this the episode where Jake geeks out about 80s-mid90s business software packaging? Because at the time I made a mental note that when the thread came up I had to share this shit:

IMG_20171024_112156.thumb.jpg.fd5e8914162c9c22feffb7f445710900.jpg IMG_20171024_112230.thumb.jpg.82673af9f7a3e3f1cab0e8fb314bdfbf.jpg

The jewel of my 80s PC software collection*: a pristine copy of IBM DOS 3.30. I would like to get the Technical Reference 3.30 to match (that's the one documenting the low-level workings of every single DOS command) but mint copies are very expensive.

On the screen is Voyetra Sequencer 4, I wish I had hard copy of that too.

The rest of my collection is mostly games.

*(Jewel of the hardware collection is the IBM PS/2 30 286 underneath, also pristine and purchased new in box. Guy I bought it from told me they had several boxed in storage as instant backups for mission-critical machines; those machines ran rock-solid for decades so the backups never left their boxes)