Jake

Important If True 32: A Wish Upon a Star

Important If True 32:

Important If True 32

A Wish Upon a Star
Your dreams have come true, assuming you dream of a podcast in which we do our best to work through the world's biggest questions, starting with these: Why are twentysomething Canadian robots putting septuagenarian Canadian humans out of work? Is Google Street View less creepy or more creepy if you're the one taking the photos? And, when Clifford got big we know it came from love, but was that love tainted by science gone wrong, or the touch of some malevolent wizard? These truths and more will be revealed, before you wake up and forget it ever happened.

Discussed: correcting a mistake, babysitting yourself at Disneyland, externalized self-loathing, wishing upon a star, nightmares, CBC mail robot retirement, anthropomorphizing lovable dumb box robots over insidiously friendly human-like robots, cats' preference for humans over food, helping out your retiring mail robot buddy, boss robot, forcibly retiring your boss, The Count of Monte Cristo of Mail Robot Retirement Revenge, The Ship of Theseus, The Mom of Theseus, ostensible democratization of Google Street View, Google Street View camera hidden inside a teddy bear, long-term Google Street View gaslighting campaign, the world's largest and most popular website: Google.com, pulling off some sick moves as you surf down the slippery slope, scorning your past selves, "It Was a Very Good Year," just pushing the button, chitinous hide, Short & Curly Australian ethics podcast for children, the value of children, Dumbledore, Dumblededoodledy, a secret world in which wizards exist, Clifford the Big Red Dog, how Clifford got big, David Cronenberg's Clifford the Big Red Dog, The Fly, Darren Aronofsky's Clifford the Big Red Dog

Send us your questions at [email protected]. If you enjoyed this and would like to subscribe to an ad-free feed, please consider supporting Idle Thumbs by backing our Patreon.

Nick's Endorsement: Stretching (so you don't ruin your shitty old busted human frame)

Jake's Endorsement: New York City in 1993 shot on HD video

Chris' Jake-adjacent Bonus Endorsement: The Deuce TV show pilot on HBO

Chris' Real Endorsement: Jarred anchovy fillets to pump up the flavor of your meals (for instance, this delicious pan-seared chicken recipe)

Jake's Chris-adjacent Bonus Endorsement: Reassessing obnoxious childhood opinions fed to you by kid-targeted media and scorning your past self

Sponsored by: Warby Parker prescription glasses with free home try-on, Quip electric toothbrushes with $10 off your first brush head refill

Canned sardines and now jarred anchovies? This Important If True fish craze has gone too far (unless someone has a good garlic-based fish dish for me.)

When I saw that photo on #31 I thought it was a Photoshop of a young Breckon next to himself on the same ride years later (the yellow tint helped)

3 hours ago, Paul Smith said:

When I saw that photo on #31 I thought it was a Photoshop of a young Breckon next to himself on the same ride years later (the yellow tint helped)

Same here!

8 hours ago, Paul Smith said:

Oh god, me too!  It's uncanny.

12 hours ago, Paul Smith said:

Nope, that entire park didn’t even exist when Nick was that age!

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Nope, that entire park didn’t even exist when Nick was that age!

I just assumed it was from a different ride that had similar seats or whatever, which in retrospect doesn't make a whole lot of sense but that kid looks exactly like Nick. Also photoshopping that would be exactly the sort of thing you guys would do.

When you guys were talking about Clifford Nick made some sarcastic off-hand comment like "wow, sounds like a great book" and the only thing I could think of was that it sounded like something he'd say to his 10-year-old self.

in the interest of nick being full of it all the time i think the jury is way out on stretching, and i believe the consensus is that if you're just lifting weights it does more harm than good. 

On 10/13/2017 at 1:52 PM, SecretAsianMan said:

That Curb moment was so great I've gone back and listened to it probably a dozen times now.

+1

Another good way to troll Google Maps would be to set up scale models in the right place, so it looks like there's a massive gothic castle in the distance of your suburban street shot, or whatever.