Sign in to follow this  
dibs

Idle Cook Club 2 - Neither for here, nor to go

So, i went with replacing a takeaway that i usually get and here it is:

If i have time i might try and make something else for the theme. 

I guess pizza counts as something I usually buy...

pizza.thumb.jpg.cb65b3b8e036482a124f67d43a7d9b1f.jpg

Edit: Second one from the same batch of dough.

pizza2.thumb.jpg.2f739c7eca9f1db5cb6cdde0b5553858.jpg

I want to make corn dogs for this prompt. I haven't forgotten about it!

Also I made puppy chow for christmas time to share with my d&d group and had leftovers that I brought into work, and literally not a single californian knew what puppy chow is. The one guy I know from Illinois knew what it was and was pumped. I did not realize this was a regional food.

18 hours ago, jennegatron said:

I want to make corn dogs for this prompt. I haven't forgotten about it!

Also I made puppy chow for christmas time to share with my d&d group and had leftovers that I brought into work, and literally not a single californian knew what puppy chow is. The one guy I know from Illinois knew what it was and was pumped. I did not realize this was a regional food.

Oh man, I totally made corn dogs  a few weeks back - I should have photographed them. I was trying to replicate a batter that result in a crispier tempura like exterior that is common In new Zealand. It didn't hit the mark fully but was still pretty OK.

Also Puppy Chow is great - i did not realize it was regional myself as its a DIY version of 'Mudbuddies' by Chex-Mix. 

TO the labatory!

(Sorry for not keeping up on this, i aint' got time for nothing these days) 

3 hours ago, twmac said:

Is there something I can use other than Maple Syrup that will give the same sort of effect?

any sort of syrup, including a thicker simple syrup, or honey mixed with a bit of water should work.

I finally made an attempt at the General Tao Tofu and I think for a first attempt it was a reasonable success.

I didn't have Hoisin so I used a sweet, syrupy Teriyaki instead, and I replaced the Maple Syrup with Honey. Oh yeah, and I dumped some pepper in there instead of Broccoli because broccoli is pricey in Thailand right now. I omitted the chillis because my partner can't handle them at all.

I think the main problem is that I over did it with the water and the sauce at the end failed to get thicker. This was remedied the next day when it had been sat in a tupperware.

Will try it again as it was still a pretty big success.