Sign in to follow this  
dibs

Idle Cook Club 2 - Neither for here, nor to go

Every two weeks a new theme.

Most of the chat will likely take place in the #cooking channel in slack, but if we could keep our photos and logs here that would be great to document.

This week: Since seizing power i have become lazy and fat, but i'm not afraid to wield that power to unilaterally nominate a throwaway comment from lastair as this weeks club. 

Week* 1: Reheat gently over a medium flame (dibs)

Week 2: Pick something you usually buy and make it instead (lastair)

*For approximate values of the word week

So yesterday I was feeling lazy and decided to just cook what I had in the fridge: parsnips, broccoli, cabbage, kale and some white fish. Parsnips and broccoli in one pot with some fried onions and garlic, a pinch of curry powder and just a touch of chili powder (no water needed!); kale and cabbage stir-fried with some garlic and a touch of turmeric on a wok; white fish griddled with a bit of salt and black pepper. It was enough for yesterday's dinner and three extra lunchboxes:

IMG_20171008_121717.thumb.jpg.d48726e718f9499b2b3ce49702537b0b.jpg

This is what one of the boxes looked like:

IMG_20171008_121736.thumb.jpg.e3e773ec0df900d065317a2d38d6534b.jpg

And finally warmed up and plated!

IMG_20171008_122210.thumb.jpg.3f436012d010202e47003077c1b8f8cb.jpg

This is literally how I cook every week. I make 2-3 meals and have the leftovers for lunches and dinners. This week. I just finished making carrots and fennel braised with orange zest and honey.

GAu53br.jpg

Put it on couscous, is very good. Later this week I'm making roasted garlic focaccia and a vegan version of Korean army stew. Stay tuned ;)

https://food52.com/recipes/21426-carrots-and-fennel-braised-with-orange-zest-and-honey

I rarely, if ever, use leftovers of previous meals to make different meals, but I often make enough food to last me a few days. My go-to on weekdays is tomato soup. Easy to make and super tasty. Reheat, throw in some basil and croutons, and enjoy again

I'm going to make a pork shoulder for Friday, I generally like to have it as bbq as a sandwich initially and then heat it up the next day with some cilantro and onion and a pork taco the next day. I'm not sure if that counts, but its tasty. 

I usually only do leftovers if i change them up somehow! I don't like repeating dinners. 

So my ginger pork 

turned into fried rice the next night

I made a vegan version of budae jjigae or army stew. Its a very hearty dish with an interesting history, it was first made after the Korean War and has a lot of ingredients that were scrounged stolen or smuggled out of US army bases, hence the baked beans and hot dogs (no spam in the vegan version). I didn't find out till today that it was effectively an illegal dish during the dictatorship of Park Chung-hee due to restrictions on the purchase of American goods. Anyway its a tasty stew and probably a lot healthier with mock duck and veggie hot dogs. Some versions also have ground beef, macaroni noodles and put some American cheese on top.

c9kFZUS.jpg

https://tastygreenies.blogspot.com/2015/03/episode-5-vegan-korean-army-stew-vegan.html

I got a urn with lid big enough to fit 4+ heads of cabbage for my kimchi, so kimchi jigae is back on the menu :)

On 10/9/2017 at 11:32 AM, YoThatLimp said:

I'm going to make a pork shoulder for Friday, I generally like to have it as bbq as a sandwich initially and then heat it up the next day with some cilantro and onion and a pork taco the next day. I'm not sure if that counts, but its tasty. 

We eated all of the pork before I could make tacos. 

This is not the topic but I just made two different amazing egg sandwiches using these Eggslut recipes and if I could do it anyone can because I am bad at cooking.

I made the Spam one of this, the first time I've cooked with Spam and it turns out Spam is dope? Best tasting breakfast sandwich I've ever had. Even though I am bad at egg handling (can't make omelettes!) the marbleized egg was easy to make with a single chopstick.

This one I made for my partner (since they don't eat pork) and they said it was really great. I used a brioche roll instead of the one used in the video, but it's still real good.

I would have taken sexy pics of the sandwiches but I have a flip phone and low resolution makes all food look gross. Suffice to say, they really worked out. 

EDIT: IMPORTANT UPDATE ABOUT 15 MINUTES AFTER EATING MY SANDWICH I ALMOST WENT INTO A COMA SO MAYBE SPAM HAS TEN TIMES THE AMOUNT OF TRYPTOPHAN AS NORMAL HAM OR SOMETHING BUT DAMN I NEED TO NAP.

2 hours ago, Patrick R said:

EDIT: IMPORTANT UPDATE ABOUT 15 MINUTES AFTER EATING MY SANDWICH I ALMOST WENT INTO A COMA SO MAYBE SPAM HAS TEN TIMES THE AMOUNT OF TRYPTOPHAN AS NORMAL HAM OR SOMETHING BUT DAMN I NEED TO NAP.

Spam is short for "sleep ham."

Updated! I'll probably be making a biriyani for this. I've tried before and it wasn't good, but it is about the only meal i get from a takeaway! 

Your photo doesn't seem to work. I like General Tso's tofu just fine, alone with all sorts of other Americanized Chinese food, but if you're in the mood for something more authentic, Bear's Paw Tofu is a favorite of mine.