Chris

Idle Thumbs BONUS: Ruination Online September 2017

Idle Thumbs BONUS:

Idle Thumbs BONUS

Ruination Online September 2017
Enjoy this bonus episode drawn from the Idle Thumbs Patreon Ruination Online! Each month, we do a livestream where all topics have been posed by high-tier backers of our Patreon campaign: patreon.com/IdleThumbs.

Due to popular demand, we're releasing the audio of that stream to the main podcast feed for easier listening.

We'll be back with a regular episode of Idle Thumbs this very week!

Discussed: virtual reality, augmented reality, being replaced by androids, traveling, candy, the Kit Kat for assholes, moving, choice moist hoistings, bad apartments, inscrutable communication, funny domain names, imposter syndrome, video game sophistication distinctions, Idle Thumbs Patreon postcard update, Kraft products, keeping journals, The West Wing: The Video Game, The Shitty Wizard: The Video Game, inadvertent hoistings by way of generosity

As a Vive owner I sure hope VR isn't doomed. The one good thing about the cooler weather is that I can finally start playing more intense VR games without getting super sweaty. It's definitely too expensive right now but there is a lot of cool stuff you can do in VR that is not possible in AR. Its surprising how easy it is for your brain to buy into the simulation, it didn't take long for me to start avoiding running into virtual objects in Job Simulator even though the graphics are pretty cartoony. The most likely future for the tech is for a combined AR/VR headset. Having something like a removable face plate. Both techs are currently limited by batteries and resolutions.

Edit: I removed the dumb joke

I'm excited to listen to this, I have a big long flight to Europe this week, and I could use some video game rambling. 

Oh shit, thanks for the mention of my Shitty Wizard!

Regarding pronounciation of cwine, I personally always pronounce it "swine" while some people argue it should be "kwine" :tup:

This also reminds me I should get back to cwine development so it can actually every be used for anything!

Is it really normal in some parts of the world to expect a fridge when moving to a new rental property? What happens if the fridge sucks? Sell it and buy a new one, only to leave it behind when you move again? 

7 minutes ago, texashogride said:

Is it really normal in some parts of the world to expect a fridge when moving to a new rental property? What happens if the fridge sucks? Sell it and buy a new one, only to leave it behind when you move again? 

It's an appliance; I've never bought any large appliance when I've rented an apartment. In addition to never buying a fridge, I've never bought an oven or a dishwasher or a garbage disposal or a washing machine or anything else like that. All of those things could suck. I don't really have a good answer for what happens if they do, I guess. If they're actually busted though, I'd contact the landlord.

43 minutes ago, texashogride said:

Most of the time I don't even buy furniture, because most rentals here are pre furnished whether you want it or not. Just like every other part of renting, if you have the luxury of choice, you just take note of the fridge that's in the place when you're looking and make sure it seems fine.

2 hours ago, Chris said:

It's an appliance; I've never bought any large appliance when I've rented an apartment. In addition to never buying a fridge, I've never bought an oven or a dishwasher or a garbage disposal or a washing machine or anything else like that. All of those things could suck. I don't really have a good answer for what happens if they do, I guess. If they're actually busted though, I'd contact the landlord.

I bought a dishwasher once because I really hate doing dishes, but yeah. (It was one that was on casters, and attached to the sink.) If the fridge doesn't keep food cold I would contact my landlord and expect them to have someone come out and service them (at their expense) or replace it. The gas heater in my apartment broke last winter and my landlord replaced it at no additional cost to us. 

Most people who live in rental properties don't have the capital to spend over $1000 on home appliances, so it's something that rental property owners are expected to provide.

5 hours ago, jennegatron said:

I bought a dishwasher once because I really hate doing dishes, but yeah. (It was one that was on casters, and attached to the sink.) If the fridge doesn't keep food cold I would contact my landlord and expect them to have someone come out and service them (at their expense) or replace it. The gas heater in my apartment broke last winter and my landlord replaced it at no additional cost to us. 

Most people who live in rental properties don't have the capital to spend over $1000 on home appliances, so it's something that rental property owners are expected to provide.

I guess it's one of those American things. In Australia you're expected to take your fridge and your washing machine with you when you vacate a rental. Ovens and dishwashers are kinda fixed so I never had to worry about them. 

Unless you're getting into a fully furnished apartment, which aren't that common, you definitely need to get most of your own stuff. I've moved a lot of fridges and washing machines in my time... 

That seems like it just increases the moving expenses for almost everyone in exchange for very little benefit.

Regarding VR, I don't think it's going to get big for pretty much the reasons mentioned on the cast, but I do think that within the next 5ish years the technology is going to get cheap enough that it can be a profitable industry from just the niche enthusiast crowd.

as a southern CA native, i was also surprised that other places had refrigerators as an expected appliance, but all the points about having to buy a huge new appliance to lug around being silly makes sense.

also, i couldn't help but think of this scene from Neo Yokio, but it's someone telling Steve Jobs he doesn't deserve the big Kit Kat:

DKb4Ia2XkAE9oj8.jpg

So, I've come to the conclusion about the ruination podcast......

the questions are wishes

and the hosts are wily genies.

There are surprising few video game genre specific podcasts often because the people inside the genre don't often think people outside the genre care about what they have to say.

Go out, adopt a genre and tell them you want to hear what they have to say.

Thanks to this episode, I started buying the Kit-Kats for assholes at work and they're great!

Regular kitkats are best eaten frozen.  I don't know if that would work for a big kitkat.

If I were to send big kitkats to the Thumbs, would they think I'm calling them assholes?