Urthman

Bennett Foddy's "Getting Over It" is my favorite game trailer of 2017

Bennett "QWOP" Foddy's new game is a Sexy Hiking remake starring a shirtless dude in a pot climbing a mountain with a sledge hammer and I love the trailer so much.

"success is delicious"

And I can't hear the last sentence without mentally inserting:

"I created this game for a certain kind of person: Nick Breckon."

Well, that is something we've all lacked in our lives. A man in a iron pot with a sledgehammer trying to inch his way forward in life.

Is this set in the Firewatch cinematic universe?

2 minutes ago, Roderick said:

Is this set in the Firewatch cinematic universe?

I'm pretty sure that's Delilah in the tower you can see in the background of the video preview, drawing a sketch of the shirtless dude.

Yes, it's wonderful. And it's what finally got me to subscribe to Humble Monthly.

Well, this and Rise of the Tomb Raider.

This thing is out now, and this is my attempt at getting over it.

That narrow passage with the lanterns is the worst. I've figured out that you have to use the lanters to climb up, I even managed to get above the second one once, but then quickly panicked and tumbled back down. This game is brutal.

So, beyond this and ROTTR, how's the latest Humble Monthly? Well, Scanner Sombre looks interesting, especially since it has VR support now. And Seasons After Fall looks like some solid platforming, but I'm not too interested in any of this other stuff.

If anyone wants these keys, let me know:

Wargame: Red Dragon

Orwell

Furi

The Shrouded Isle

Ah, Sexy Hiking. I remembered the game but not the name. Good fit for Bennet Foddy I guess.

I made it to the kid on the slide. Then I fell all the way back down.

All. The. Way.

I forgot to subscribe to the humble monthly so I have to wait until this releases in December, but I'm looking forward to this. I legitimately liked Sexy Hiking. despite it being neither sexy nor even hiking (it was more like mountain climbing really).

This probably the fastest speedrun of it so far. 13 minutes! :U

3:40 is as far as I made it in my attempt, didn't realize you should go to the right at that point, I was trying to make it up the slide to the left, which is seemingly impossible. Then I messed up and fell all the way back to the start. :|

Ahahaha 6:30 is evil! :D Bet that caused plenty of mad flailing and setbacks to those who made it there.

I just made it to the top.

Then I checked speedrun times, which are down to just over two minutes, by the way.

I've been really enjoying Nick's stream.

I picked it up myself and have been enjoying it. I actually think I enjoy playing it on a track pad. But I'm not really a good mouse input player in general, it just feels so random to me. 

Something about it captures the weirdness of 90s macintonosh games. I think its the mouse input. Harry the Handsome Executive comes to mind but that isn't really a mouse input game..

I also finally figured out why this man is in a cauldron. It's so that his center of gravity is always under him, so he doesn't have to worry about flipping over onto his head.

I can't imagine playing this game on a trackpad seeing what huge circular movements it had me doing with my mouse hand. I actually had to clear off most of my desk to play it and right before I managed to complete the game I changed the mouse settings on my PC to make everything a bit faster.

I've also needed to make a bit of a mental adjustment early on to remind myself that I'm not controlling the guy or moving the handle but directly applying force to the hammerhead. Especially when you're lifting yourself up and finagling yourself into a position that can be key.

This game and Sunless Sea made me realise how much having a really evocative, accurate description of a game matters. "I made this game for a certain kind of person. To hurt them." says volumes about the experience you're going to have playing this game. "Lose Your Mind, Eat Your Crew", likewise, says volumes about the intended experience of Sunless Sea.

On 26/12/2017 at 4:06 PM, Deadpan said:

I can't imagine playing this game on a trackpad seeing what huge circular movements it had me doing with my mouse hand. I actually had to clear off most of my desk to play it and right before I managed to complete the game I changed the mouse settings on my PC to make everything a bit faster.

I've also needed to make a bit of a mental adjustment early on to remind myself that I'm not controlling the guy or moving the handle but directly applying force to the hammerhead. Especially when you're lifting yourself up and finagling yourself into a position that can be key.

I've actually only played it on a trackpad, and I think it detracts from the experience Bennet is going for. I might just be terrible, but I found it so hard to have any control that the experience devolved into an almost random walk across the terrain. As such, I've still to make any noticeable progress (I sort of sometimes get as far as the sideways house a little above the oar, at best), and any time I "lose progress" it means nothing, as I don't feel like I'd been earning anything anyway. It's kind of an experience in learned helplessness, really.

Got the game, it's pretty brilliant. It seems I'm somehow drawn into weird physics based games: Grow Up, Human Fall Flat, now this. I can't play it for very long, though. I've made it up to the second lantern once, but after that I fell down and now I can't seem to repeat what I did the first time there, after being explicitly told to do that :D