Sign in to follow this  
SecretAsianMan

Stargate

I've been in the mood to rewatch some Stargate lately.  I'm considering getting an all access at Stargatecommand.co so I can stream everything, including the upcoming Origins series (which I'm frankly not super interested in but eh).  I'm hesitant to sign up for yet another streaming service but a one time $20 fee to stream every episode of SG-1, Atlantis, and Universe, not to mention the films, is a pretty good deal.  I am a little concerned by the time period though.  The FAQ says it lasts until May 15, 2018.

Anyway, I like Stargate.  Lets talk about it!

I've only seen the movie. I didn't think about it for a decade until I realized that my wife hasn't seen it and I bought a copy because it seems essential to understanding who I am.

What do you think of the original movie, SAM? I get the impression that, as with Buffy, it's possibly and common to be a big fan of the franchise but not of the original movie.

Wait what is this Origins series?! There's new STARGATE????!??!

I love Stargate. All of it. Except the original movie. I mean, it's not bad, but it's not why I love Stargate. Wait is this new thing based on the movie?

I think the movie's fine.  Not great but not terrible.  I remember when I first started watching SG1, I was really surprised that there was a series based on Stargate.  I thought it was an odd property to start a TV series about but hey whatevs.

Stargate Origins is a 10 episode web series that is a prequel to both the movies and shows.  The main character is Catherine Langford, the daughter of the man who first discovered the Stargate and appeared in the film and SG1 (played by different actresses).  Originally they were going to make a new movie trilogy that would be direct sequels to the film and ignore the shows but then someone changed their mind and a web series is getting made instead.

I love the movie and SG-1 and the roleplaying game campaign that I played in for a bit.

When I saw the movie in the theater, the marketing up to that point had been cryptic. Trailers would just show them digging out this ring or whatever and activating it and stepping in, with no material about what would be on the other side, or really what the premise was outside of the gate itself. I feel like that made it more fun. 

I also love the music and sound design, some of which was drilled deep into my brain because of how extensively it was sampled on the FLA album Hard Wired.

I was never into Stargate, and whenever I saw shards of the show on tv, it was Richard Dean Anderson not being MacGyver and people with snake heads jumping through shrubs. Honestly, it always looked a little cheap compared to Star Trek TNG or other concurrent shows. But I figured that if so many people liked/loved it, it must have some qualities.

A few years ago I watched the movie for the first time since my childhood and it was complete scifi schlock. I was kinda shocked by how few ideas there were. I was expecting bombastic world building, but most of it is just setting for action set pieces. It didn't feel coherent or all that interesting. I'm sure the show has a lot more going for it though. It has Teal'c! Whom I know to be a character!

The show is completely different from the movie. It takes the events and then goes off the rails the movie had set.

It's the best of the Star____ series. *nod*

Oh man, I love Stargate! (not Atlantis so much though) There is a remarkable amount of gas in the SG1 tank for a show that went on for like 10 years, and managed to get stronger in its last years after RDA burnt out. I also really liked Dark Matter. I haven't seen Travelers on Netflix yet.

I also am ambivalent to the movie, or maybe hostile because Roland Emmerich is kind of a hacky bummer. 

Has anybody plunked down the All Access money? Are they widescreen episodes, which I think you get on the DVDs or the old TV 3:4s that are on Hulu?

DARK MATTER GOT CANCELLED EVEN THOUGH IT WAS POPULAR BECAUSE SYFY SUCKS

When I was watching it as it came out, RDA leaving was a huuuuuge bummer to me, but fuck if it didn't deliver in spades. It's still no Farscape, but damn.

There aren't many long-running TV series I'd buy because they're expensive to collect, but Stargate remastered for Blu-Ray would be pretty tempting for me. D:

I never watched MacGyver so I had no RDA feelings one way or the other pre-SG1.  Jack O'Neill (two L's) was great though so I quickly became a fan.  Season 8 felt like a bit of a low point since he was mostly out the door at that point but I love Ben Browder so much I got over it fast. 

I really like the last two seasons of the show, in some ways more than the first eight.  I never much liked the Goa'uld or the Replicators as villains but I loved the Ori.  Thematically they were just as silly and preposterous as the others but in terms of actual plot they were such a more legitimate threat.

I liked Stargate Universe. I wonder if I would still like it. I watched some of the original run, but in my mind it didn't compare to Babylon 5.

First time I watched SGU I hated the first season and loved the second. Second time I watched it, I flipped. Well, I still liked the second season, just not as much. I'm not sure what happened there, but yeah. I'm still bummed it never ended.

I should finish watching Stargate and Atlantis someday. I stopped in the middle of both. Both were excellent series, but I was watching both together with some buddies and they moved elsewhere in the country so the watching sessions stopped completely.

Universe never really clicked with me.  I don't dislike it, but I don't like it the same way I do SG-1 (and to a lesser extent Atlantis).  Probably because it had too much of a BSG vibe and I never liked Battlestar.

Yeah it was definitely aping BSG a lot. Which is why at the time I hated season one. season two felt more like "What I Want From Stargate". I assume that by the time I'd rewatched the entire series I was more open to something Different, hence my opinion shift.

Wish I had a roommate to rewatch the series with. Again. Man.

Jake and Chris should do a Stargate rewatch podcast.

Then I would activate myself to watch it at the speed of the podcast episodes coming out.

Total minutes for all episodes of SG-1, Atlantis, and Universe: 15,222 (source)

Total minutes for the original film, Ark of Truth, and Continuum: 321 (based on running times listed in Wikipedia)

Total for everything Stargate to date (not counting the animated series): 15,543 minutes = 259.05 hours = 10.8 days

There are 354 episodes in total across all three shows so if you watched one a day it would take nearly a year.  If you did one a week so that you could record a rewatch podcast, then it would take 6.8 years.

Seems doable.

And just for the sake of comparison, if one were to watch every episode of Star Trek (not counting the animated series, Discovery, or any of the films) then it would take 30,782 minutes or about 3 straight weeks.

I've lately felt like watching Stargate again so I've been re-re-re-rewatching the series (both SG-1 and Atlantis) on Amazon Prime Video.  It's schlocky, cheesy, goofy, and dated, but damned if I don't love it anyway.  I really wish that Stargate MMO came out.  I imagine I'd still be playing it to this day.