Jake

Important If True 29: Untethered From Reality

Important If True 29:

Important If True 29

Untethered From Reality
Each week we do our best to take your deeply important questions, distill them down to their essence, and find the truth within. Or something we make up. But sometimes, once in a big moon, the truth hits too close to home, burns too hot, is too real. Sometimes something so unbelievably perfect happens, the universe itself tries to erase it. Before it can get there, we'll tell you all about it.

Discussed: popcorn, the number you call that tells you what time it is, a regrettable news event, you know what it is, hoisting, the Important Cinematic Universe Project, reality untethered from time, reverse temporal recursion of cause and event, cursed image, strategically-located sunburns, difficulty of applying suntan lotion, explaining this stupid fucking podcast to somebody, nanotechnology, lewd inferences, inadvertently presenting as a gentleman thief, breaking into your own home, internal voices used for specific purposes, sounding like Calvin from Calvin & Hobbes, one-star review of LaGuardia Airport, taking a break, ten small sips, the purported health benefits of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, being seamlessly replaced by a robot, definition of robot, Pocket Drunken Robot, The Nick Breckon Podcast, closing your eyes in an attempt to control your reality, children's mental games, music video to Chemical Brothers' "Star Guitar" by Michel Gondry, musical roads, employing musical roads to better serve our capitalist nightmare, eerie synchronicity of children's fantasies

Send us your questions at [email protected]. If you enjoyed this and would like to subscribe to an ad-free feed, please consider supporting Idle Thumbs by backing our Patreon.

Chris' Endorsement: Alex French Guy Cooking YouTube series

Jake's Endorsement: pass

Nick's Endorsement: Original Iron Chef episodes on YouTube

Nick's Other Endorsement: watching the sunrise

Sponsored by: Warby Parker eyeglasses and sunglasses free home try-on, Quip electric toothbrushes and brush head replacement plans

"Jelly is nutritious" is a hilarious and incredibly Breckonian hill upon which to die, and I am delighted that the debate reared its head again.  It's also great to have the video available so we can relive the experience of "is he doing a thing here, this is a thing... it isn't a thing."  JM Smucker, the 22nd brain.

Speaking of which, has this already been reported?  45 Actual Brains Actually Found.

Huh.. that seems to be just a shortened version of the latest episode with no other edits.

(Seriously though, fantastic work!)

I was having a fairly bad Friday night, but listening to this had me howling in laughter for so long.  Also, I think The Woman's Poop should be a contender for being one of the brains.

Oh my god infamous space turtle that is amazing. 

Glad we got another one of Chris' famous bot-generated content reads. Always a crowd pleaser. 

I can't believe Jake was allowed to just pass on his endorsement. Are there no rules!? Are you going to let your podcast descend into complete anarchy only 29 episodes in? 

Similarly, I was having a bad Tuesday and this podcast cheered me right up.

The robot thing where one person could see through the foil and subsequently goes mad? I would love to see a reboot of 'They Live' or 'The Matrix' where that is the plot.

Everyone walks around treating these things as real people, one person has an accident, starts taking an experimental drug, whatever, and slowly but surely he starts 'seeing' these automatons. The film could actually spend the whole time not really explaining if what they saw was real or not, and have an ambiguous ending.

This episode was Lynchian.

Great work.  I'm a big fan of the post-production effort you're putting in Chris.  It reminds me of the early days of Thumbs.

And I, too, close my eyes when flicking a lightswitch.  I think it is to ease my eyes, just a little, into the sudden change in brightness. 

I hope whoever is doing all the fancy audio editing is having fun doing it, because I have a lot of fun listening to it! :)

Ok, so, I second Nick Breckon's Star Guitar recommendation, but also I want to point out that Michel Gondry made a Making Of video that was on the like, DVD of his music videos that I had in college, and it's less amazing, but very charming:

Yes, it's like, 10 minutes long, but stick with it, especially at the end. 

Also, I drove on the Lancaster musical road (it's a bit away from a huge poppy field, if anyone is in southern California in early spring and wants to see something incredible), and while the effect was nice, it was highly variable on the speed you drove the road, which made me think of someone driving the DRINK COCA COLA road during a day with more traffic would get the version where it's some sort of demon advertising a soft drink. 

49 minutes ago, RubixsQube said:

Also, I drove on the Lancaster musical road (it's a bit away from a huge poppy field, if anyone is in southern California in early spring and wants to see something incredible), and while the effect was nice, it was highly variable on the speed you drove the road, which made me think of someone driving the DRINK COCA COLA road during a day with more traffic would get the version where it's some sort of demon advertising a soft drink. 

If you were reversing over it would it sounds like ALOC ALOC KNIRD

Just now, SuperBiasedMan said:

If you were reversing over it would it sounds like ALOC ALOC KNIRD

hahahahaha

kniiiiird alert

12 hours ago, Spenny said:

I hope whoever is doing all the fancy audio editing is having fun doing it, because I have a lot of fun listening to it! :)

14 hours ago, Crunchnoisy said:

This episode was Lynchian.

Great work.  I'm a big fan of the post-production effort you're putting in Chris.  It reminds me of the early days of Thumbs.

And I, too, close my eyes when movieing a lightswitch.  I think it is to ease my eyes, just a little, into the sudden change in brightness. 

I'll use these posts as a springboard to say that I've been relistening to the series at work, and the great editing is present in almost every episode. I've been wanting to mention the great audio work for months, but never felt it was enough to base an entire post on.

I would also like to mention that this is a great podcast to relisten to. It seems that I usually only remember one big thing per episode, enjoy hearing those things again as well as the smaller details, and then once again get caught off guard by the other sections. It's also interesting to notice things, with future episodes in mind.

Early in episode 13, it's brought up how there's been so much chicken content, it could have been stored up for an entire chicken-cast, and Chris or Nick speculates that people may begin to tire of chicken content.  Almost as if a monkey paw caused this episode's universe reconstruction, Jake exclaimed "Chicken shit!" and the next episode began with Landis' poop story...

Just got around to listening to this one now... Holy crap the weird "crashed and erased itself" bit at 12:45 blew my mind listening to it late at night.

infamous space turtle, I've listened to your robo-Thumbs a bunch of times it still cracks me up.  Such good comic timing, like pushing the "I'm Loving It" enough times that it's doubly funny.  Great work and totally deserved to get quoted on the following week's podcast.

Because when I hear familiar sounds I can’t identify drives me insane until I figure out what they are: could someone please help me identify the section that plays after the descending Mac startup noises? 

28 minutes ago, baladec said:

Because when I hear familiar sounds I can’t identify drives me insane until I figure out what they are: could someone please help me identify the section that plays after the descending Mac startup noises? 

Windows 95, I think. It's definitely one of the classic 90s-era Windows startup sounds made by Brian Eno, as I recall.