Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

Filmmaking

Gotcha. Well, not that I have any knowledge of the short film circuit, but my advice:

1) give yourself a strict deadline for making the new version (a week? You don't want to be tinkering with this forever, better to learn lessons and move onto the next one)

(Also, make a version with a public domain music cue for later use - even if it's a bit sloppy, better to have something than nothing.)
2) send it to every festival that fits your criteria but won't accept films that have been online

3) put it online and promote it as much as possible
4) send it to all the other festivals that fit your criteria, and at this point I don't see any reason not to send it to every festival going as long as it doesn't cost you anything. Make the most of that music licence! Even if you're not there to see the screenings, something good may come of them.

5) Make another short film!

Also, you mentioned that having a trailer might be helpful but you're too burned out on this film to make one - do you know (or could you find) any editors in training whom you could ask to make one for you? It would be good experience for them.

Oh man, I shot this Kickstarter video on the weekend and although the acting is very basic (card game developers acting) the material turned out quite nice, because we had done some planning and got a good location that provided a nice natural lighting after some tweaking. Can't wait to share the results in January or so.

@Ben X , well I'm almost done with step 1. now :) I don't know why but I just couldn't work on the film for months, also because with the coronavirus I had moved my work office to my editing room and I was too lazy to clear the desk for the editing work. But anyway now I had to make these kickstarter pre-launch videos (this also got delayed months) and got back into the habit of editing. I almost finished my film today (yeah, all I needed was one day really :|) and all I need is to add some more footsteps and maybe office ambiance.

My music license will expire in about 4 months so I think I will skip step 2. and just put the film online and then start looking into festivals that accept movies that are already online. And hopefully next month I'll do step 5.

Although I listened to it on my living room screen, which I had to put on quiet recently because of neighbours and I realized that I can't hear half the background sounds. Then started reading about good practices for mixing sound and realized I might have to go over the audio mix so that everything is within a dynamic range of just 20 dB or so.

Well done for (almost) finishing! Yeah, I guess it's probably smart to deprioritise festivals right now, considering COVID.

I just realized that if I’m going to reduce the dynamic range of audio volume, I’ll possibly have to be more precise with dialogue, SFX volumes etc., re-tweaking the hundreds of clips...

Or maybe I could just apply a compressor to the whole audio mix...

Who wants to see my final movie, an unlisted preview is now available on Vimeo: