Chris

Idle Thumbs BONUS: Ruination Online August 2017

Idle Thumbs BONUS:

Idle Thumbs BONUS

Ruination Online August 2017
Enjoy this bonus episode drawn from our Idle Thumbs Patreon Ruination Online! Each month, we do a livestream where all topics have been posed by high-tier backers of our Patreon campaign: patreon.com/IdleThumbs.

Due to popular demand, we're releasing the audio of that stream to the main podcast feed for easier listening.

We'll be back with a regular episode of Idle Thumbs next week!

Discussed: Thumbs survival instincts, The WIZYs, Nintendo Horsebag, music composition, streaming, tiki drinks, hobbies, anticipated upcoming pop culture, arcade machines, Major Havoc, Marvel Cinematic Universe, being curmudgeons about the Marvel Cinematic Universe, video game trades, shoes

Huh. So according to Wikipedia, Mark Cerny was the developer and programmer of Major Havoc. I guess that dude really does have a history in the industry.

I'm convinced that Chris would love pinball if he found a table with with a strong tie between an attractive theme and the modes, but I know we are all busy people with a limit to how many hobbies we can participate in.

This is the table that made me understand pinball as an expressive interactive art-form that uses optimization, discovery, and dexteeity-challenges to create something greater (but totally reliant on) its parts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Who's_Tommy_Pinball_Wizard

I just want it to be known, that the proposed hypothetical future Monkey Island 1+2 play-through stream would be massively enjoyed and appreciated. I hope the relevant logistical stars can one day align for you, Jake.

The talk of the Whizzies is real surreal to me right now.

The place I'm currently working has a annual awards ceremony called the Whizzy Awards.

The premise is that everyone gets a Whizzy, but for work they didn't do. I, a programmer, will get an award for best designer, the designer gets an award for achievements in marketing, etc. It's fun!

Anyways, sounds like I'm the first Wizard Jam participant to have won a Whizzy. 

Man, as someone who is mostly pro-Marvel-Cinematic-Universe, Jake's point about Iron Man/Spider-Man is so good and so guaranteed to never happen. It makes me very sad.

As a bit of anti-MCU-curmudgeonry, I thought this video unpacking the Guardians movies was really good: