Chris

Important If True 27: Join and Undermine

Important If True 27:

Important If True 27

Join and Undermine
Careful listeners might detect a hidden message in this podcast. Are you attuned to our frequency? Keep that in mind as you ponder these eternal mysteries: Is it better to smell a rose, or is it better to get your ass going? Are sneeze sabotage strategies all in your imagination? What's the deal with fidget spinners anyway? And does any of this matter? One thing is clear. At the end of the day, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em and undermine 'em.

Discussed: fidget spinner, FÏDGT™, German artisanal heritage fidget spinner manufactory, Orson Welles peas commercial, the power of a Kamenstein Perfect Tear Paper Towel Holder in the palm of your hand, electronics devices with addictive sliding battery cases that are way better than fidget spinners, historical Ireland keyring, BABY, sneeze sabotage strategies and the supernatural, the history of sneezing superstitions, childhood guilt-inducing power fantasies, grownup elevator call button power fantasies, decoy crosswalk buttons that do nothing, battery powered by your sweat and tears, why you cry, marsh-dwelling weeping sadness robot, beach-dwelling laughing happiness robot, Brad Bird, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Tomorrowland, adage-optimized objectivist wasteland, classic adages, breaking eggs to make an omelet, Brahma chickens fucking you up for breaking eggs, beating 'em, joining 'em, capitalism, undermining (metaphorically), undermining (literally), hoisting by undermining, creation of a self-reinforcing adage-backed worldview, redundant local newscasts, the historical emergence of local news, Cyber-Times, CyberTimes.com

Send us your questions at [email protected]. If you enjoyed this and would like to subscribe to an ad-free feed, please consider supporting Idle Thumbs by backing our Patreon.

Chris' Endorsement: Binging With Babish YouTube cooking series, and also the movie Big Night (Amazon, iTunes)

Nick's Endorsement: Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches ("white bread, JIF peanut butter, and any preserve that you want")

Jake's Endorsement: Shitty Mario novelty Twitter account, Supper Mario Broth blog of Mario deconstruction

Sponsored by: Quip electric toothbrushes, WASD German-language video game magazine Kickstarting its English-language version

Do most people really not eat PB&J as adults? I find that assertion extremely questionable. Of course, I'm only basing my own assertion on the fact that I still eat them.

5 hours ago, Kyir said:

Do most people really not eat PB&J as adults? I find that assertion extremely questionable. Of course, I'm only basing my own assertion on the fact that I still eat them.

I've never eaten them so I'm not the best respondant, but for what it's worth, until Nick mentioned PB&J sandwiches, I don't think I'd heard another adult mention them for years.

Wow, the curmudgeonliness was strong in the fidget spinner segment. I just wanted to chime in to say that fidget toys were the originals, with spinners coming later and catching on in a big way. They were initially used for helping to destigmatise and normalise "stimming" and other fidgeting behaviour in neurodivergent children, such as those with ASD or ADHD. Which makes it a problem when they become a distraction in schools and get banned because now children who benefited from them have to return to how it was before.

PBS Idea Channel did a video on them:

The stoic sweating travelling robot story with the tinkling piano screamed Studio Ghibli to me so I just spent half an hour at work making this stupid poster.

cry_robot.png

I think your approval of the WASD.global domain will increase even further when I tell you that, naturally, I registered it via hoisted.zone

13 hours ago, Kyir said:

7 hours ago, Chris said:

I've never eaten them so I'm not the best respondant, but for what it's worth, until Nick mentioned PB&J sandwiches, I don't think I'd heard another adult mention them for years.

29 minutes ago, infamous space turtle said:

I eat PB & J sometimes, though usually in a toast format. 

I've eaten them my whole life, but I don't really talk about them, since a PB&J sandwich is mostly just a concession that I'm not going to be eating something more fun and interesting (and thus worthy of conversation). PB&J is the silent majority (but not really, maybe once or twice a week) of my meals.

This episode featured Chris giving a hearty "Fuck You" and "Fuck off" to BOTH Nick and Jake. The rare double fucker!

Edit: 

nythvF0.png

While endorsing PB&J sandwiches, Nick said "I would recommend it" in the exact same cadence as "I would definitely recommend it" from the soundboard and it totally ruined me.

If anyone is wondering, the actual reason for a sweaty robot is that it's for cooling. It's not as effective as just having fans but it takes up much less space. I'm also pretty sure the robot doesn't sweat salty water.

14 minutes ago, Dr Mario Kart said:

Whats this "to me, to me, to me" thing about?  

at 18:20 if the link doesn't go there automatically.

16 hours ago, Chris said:

Idle Thumbs dream stream: Jake plays any game while Nick talks about the one boring day of his life and Chris eats a PB&J sandwich.

My PB recommendation for PB&J is to go to a slightly upscale grocery store and use one of those in-store peanut butter grinders. The flavor is amazing, especially if you can get honey roasted peanuts instead of just regular.

Nick's claim about PB&J sandwiches being nutritious sounds dubious, but I will say that as an adult I enjoy PB&Banana sandwiches every now and then with a bit of honey.

22 hours ago, your name here said:

Check out my fun rebus puzzle:

MOON IS REAL

It means "Big Moon is real"

I'd never heard of a rebus before this podcast and I'm happy to live in a reality where this is their only format. 

22 hours ago, your name here said:

Check out my fun rebus puzzle:

MOON IS REAL

It means "Big Moon is real"

This is truly profound

On 9/5/2017 at 6:48 AM, Crunchnoisy said:

Only had time for a rough sketch but I thought I'd throw this in this week...

FMwizard.jpg.29c2af79008a7eb16e97b18e7c244fb2.jpgFMwizardbw.jpg.5ca0a9c9a63669558cd3d67a7df2e5df.jpg

Christ.

Fine, good, you did good. 

On 9/5/2017 at 9:48 AM, Crunchnoisy said:

Only had time for a rough sketch but I thought I'd throw this in this week...

FMwizard.jpg.29c2af79008a7eb16e97b18e7c244fb2.jpgFMwizardbw.jpg.5ca0a9c9a63669558cd3d67a7df2e5df.jpg

I'd like you to know that I read this without reference to what your screen name actually is, and thus interpreted it as a rebus, which I then tried to solve for approximately 75 seconds.

I was not successful.