Chris

Twin Peaks Rewatch 50: The Return, Part 15

Regarding whether Twin Peaks: The Return was a success, the latest episode of The Watch podcast has a really interesting conversation with Showtime President David Nevins (around ~25m in.) Key quote: "Twin Peaks has been a real, demonstrable business success."      Really worth listening to hear how The Return happened.

2 hours ago, Crunchnoisy said:

Well, that is a better explanation than my "15-3" explanation.  which was:

• He was supposed to go through the 15 outlet (3pm in military time) and become good coop (a federal government employee... government/military handwavey-close-enough thing here)
  • Naido tricked him into space and threw the switch.
  • It changed into a "3" outlet (3pm in civilian time) so he got sucked out as civvie Dougie.

I'm having a lot of fun watching.  But every time I try to connect the dots, I end up creating a Rodkin-style riff.  I have a feeling that we'll all be happy with the ending, but the answers will not be clear or complete.  I can't believe it's almost over.

I thought "15 leads to bad coop, and for some reason that will be bad or wont work, and Naido somehow knew that, so she sent him through 3" (or alternatively "15 leads to bad coop and naido knew that, and is for some reason in cahoots with mr c, so she tricked/distracted cooper until the socket was the one that led to dougie"). Neither of those answers is fully developed enough to mean anything, but it's the way my brain made sense of it.

6 minutes ago, MalcolmLittle said:

Found this interview with sound designer Dean Huxley, who worked with Lynch on The Return. Very illuminating in its brevity. I have linked to to the soundtrack earlier, I'll do it again.

Interesting interview, though his name is Dean Hurley. I bet he's always been cool.

On 8/21/2017 at 2:35 AM, Gregalor said:

It was interesting seeing the origin of the name "Gordon Cole", because in my Hollywood neighborhood two streets I often drive over are Gordon, and then a few blocks later, Cole. I always figured that's where the name came from. Of course maybe that movie, itself named after a Hollywood street (Sunset Blvd), took "Gordon Cole" from those very streets.

I think Lynch noticed this too after coming up w/ the character name, and mentioned it in an interview with the same assumption (about Billy Wilder).

On 8/21/2017 at 4:21 PM, The Great Went said:

I didn't know what to make of this, but now that you mention it, I would tend to assume, if she's dead, Gersten's dialogue suggests she killed (or appeared to have killed) herself or that she overdosed.

For some reason when I read this, by "herself" I thought you meant Gersten, not Becky. Which obviously doesn't make a whole lot of sense but had me thinking of all kinds of alternate scenarios where Gersten is a Lodge spirit or a ghost or some such haha.