Chris

Twin Peaks Rewatch 50: The Return, Part 15

I was joking early on that maybe Coop's left behind shoes is the missing piece that will restore him from Dougiedom. But now I'm fully expecting next weeks opening scene to be his shoes being sucked out through the electrical outlet from the Lodge and appear on his feet. 

I have an unreasonable amount of anxiety that Ed was dreaming his happy ending. The previous episode all about dreams, his eyes closed for minutes leading up to Norma touching his shoulder. I hope Frost/Lynch just let us have this without taking it away later!

44 minutes ago, Fingus said:

I was joking early on that maybe Coop's left behind shoes is the missing piece that will restore him from Dougiedom. But now I'm fully expecting next weeks opening scene to be his shoes being sucked out through the electrical outlet from the Lodge and appear on his feet. 

Bowie is literally a Tin Machine now.

Charlie to Audrey about "Waiting for her on the threshold" brings to mind all the "Dweller on the threshold" lore from previous Twin Peaks.

12 hours ago, axis1500 said:

I'd love to think that, but knowing Twin Peaks, we'll probably have GoodCoop unconscious in a hospital for a while...

Coop's next stop is most likely with The Fireman.  Just prior to his tapping the remote Janie E had fed him cake, told him that all their dreams were coming true, and kissed him.  Love opens the door....

5 minutes ago, Pepper said:

with everyone in jail is this series going to end like Seinfeld?!

Naw, not everyone in Twin Peaks is a horrible person.

As a parent I couldn't help but audibly shout "Don't do that!" watching him play with that fork around the outlet. 

7 minutes ago, Guts said:

As a parent I couldn't help but audibly shout "Don't do that!" watching him play with that fork around the outlet. 

As a non-parent, I couldn't help but scream "STOP DOING THAT" from behind my bedcovers

I loved this episode.  Thoughts:

• Audrey is definitely in a coma.
  • BadCoop might be in over his head.
  • Dougie probably isn't dead.
  • And James definitely isn't cool.  :sad: 

By the by,

Last episode was in memory of Davie Bowie, the man.

This episode was in memory of Margaret, the character.

Odd choice.

2 hours ago, Yuecake said:

As a non-parent, I couldn't help but scream "STOP DOING THAT" from behind my bedcovers

"Phew, it doesn't fit.

No no no NO NOOOOOO!"

33 minutes ago, Crunchnoisy said:

By the by,

Last episode was in memory of Davie Bowie, the man.

This episode was in memory of Margaret, the character.

Odd choice.

FYI, they previously dedicated the premier of The Return to the memory of Catherine Coulson and Frank Silva.

I believe the dedication specifically to her character in Part 15 is due to the inspiration it provided for Twin Peaks as a whole.

A Variety article after Coulson's death notes:

Coulson worked with Lynch as assistant director on his 1977 debut feature “Eraserhead,” where they began discussing the idea of a woman who carried around a log. She described her Margaret Lanterman character as the “only normal person on the show,” but qualified that she’s “had some trauma and bonded with this Ponderosa pine.”

I'm starting to think that Judy is in fact Diane, who is acting as a double agent for Jeffries.

Completely unsubstantiated, talking out of my ass conjecture, but there it is.

Also, I think this is the first time in the series that the horror of what is going on in Twin Peaks finally pierces the veil of the Roadhouse performance.  Those performances are always sort of enshrined on stage and aloof, with lyrics that touch on plot elements or dynamics during the episode. They almost carry a religious vibe to them, sort of ambiently oracular. But the woman's freakout on the floor makes it clear that the darkness of Twin Peaks is finally breaching through & coming to a head. It was pretty harrowing to watch, not only because of what the woman must have been going through but also because it seemed to have broken a previously unspoken rule with these scenes, almost as if the show itself was breaking down.  Stunning moment.

43 minutes ago, ihateasparagus said:

The lamp on the table in front of Cooper eating his cake is half of a glowing golden orb!

15-janey-e-dougie.jpg

I'm not sure how much this image has been post-processed (or if it is photographed separately), but damn I'm looking forward to the Bluray release of Twin Peaks: The Return. With HBO Nordic streams, I'm never sure which glitches are intentional, if people are supposed to have metallic voices every now and then, or what I am supposed to be seeing in the darker scenes.

Wanted to say what a great episode this was, and how much I loved Bad Coop's journey "above" the convenience store.

One question related to this sequence, though. When he's leaving he sends out a text msg saying "Las Vegas?" - Is this another blatant indicator of the some non-linearity in the editing and storytelling?

We saw Diane receive a similar text and Albert & Gordon intercept and discuss it a few episodes back (Part 12?). We still don't know who those are coming from or they're getting relayed by a third party (Jeffries?), but it's another match in phrase seen on Bad Cooper's and Diane's phones, but this one is received before it is sent, at least if you're taking the show's timeline as somewhat linear.

It could be completely unrelated, as in not a text sent or relayed to her at all this time, but instead checking up on Chantal and/or Hutch if they've taken care of the business he sent them there to do. Just wondering what you all made of that.

54 minutes ago, ihateasparagus said:

The lamp on the table in front of Cooper eating his cake is half of a glowing golden orb!

15-janey-e-dougie.jpg

Haven't seen anyone else mention it yet, so: I'm struck by the resemblance between the shape of the salt shaker (which Coop very deliberately moves into view as he munches away) and the shape of the Bowie Dalek. If they were many episodes apart that'd feel like a reach, but they are very close in the editing here...

10 minutes ago, pyide said:

Wanted to say what a great episode this was, and how much I loved Bad Coop's journey "above" the convenience store.

One question related to this sequence, though. When he's leaving he sends out a text msg saying "Las Vegas?" - Is this another blatant indicator of the some non-linearity in the editing and storytelling?

We saw Diane receive a similar text and Albert & Gordon intercept and discuss it a few episodes back (Part 12?). We still don't know who those are coming from or they're getting relayed by a third party (Jeffries?), but it's another match in phrase seen on Bad Cooper's and Diane's phones, but this one is received before it is sent, at least if you're taking the show's timeline as somewhat linear.

It could be completely unrelated, as in not a text sent or relayed to her at all this time, but instead checking up on Chantal and/or Hutch if they've taken care of the business he sent them there to do. Just wondering what you all made of that.

Although it's not entirely clear, I took it as Dark Coop sending the message Diane received several episodes ago, confirming she's in contact with him, and as another confirmation of the non-linear storytelling. Assuming things are simply being told in non-linear fashion (rather than some other in-world time phenomena, a la "is this future or is it past?), it would be interesting to see someone line up the timeline clues and where they would place the sequence of the narrative pieces we have seen.

I haven't seen this mentioned (but maybe it is so obvious it goes without saying) but the JeffriesKettle seems to be giving BadCoop the coordinates of Twin Peaks - the same as on the murder victim's arm (which I suppose means that Albert didn't photoshop it before showing it to Diane). The weird thing is though if this is what BadCoop's been after, isn't it a little obvious? He seems to have all GoodCoop's memories so he should know where Twin Peaks/Glastonbury Grove is. 

Incidentally, does this confirm that Diane is working for Jeffries and that she gave him those coordinates?

@Arianna

Thinking about your question, it occurs to me there are several sets of coordinates, and we don't for sure know which are which. The apparent timeline jumps make things a little more cumbersome to dissect.

The coordinates Diane sees are apparently those to Twin Peaks, since we also see her look them up. I had presumed that means they were not altered, although I don't believe we have any evidence to prove it, since Albert theoretically could still have altered the original photo to insert Twin Peaks coordinates for whatever unknown reason. I would lean toward not, but I wouldn't say for sure. I don't think we ever actually see Diane text those coordinates to anyone, but I could be forgetting. I haven't confirmed myself since I never wrote them down, but I'll assume the ones Jeffries gives are the same she sees.

In any case, the coordinates on Ruth Davenport's arm are also the ones Brigg's was apparently looking for, and which Hastings and Ruth brought to him. And, assuming they weren't altered, are also the ones to Twin Peaks. But like the question of why Dark Coop would need them, we also have to ask why Briggs would need them, since he would also presumably know where the Glastonbury Grove portal is (see below).

Then we have the coordinates Dark Coop was searching for and eventually got from Ray. I had thought those were the coordinates to The Dutchman's, but in hindsight, Dark Coop tells Ray he "knows where it is," which leads me to believe the numbers Ray gave him were for something else. That could be the Twin Peaks coordinates, or something else again.

Then we have the location of the zone. SInce Hastings takes the FBI there himself before his head gets popped, maybe those coordinates don't matter. It is in South Dakota, and since things are presumably heading to Washington, maybe it's irrelevant. But it is another portal location, and apparently the place where Hastings entered the portal to meet Briggs

We also have the location in the forest that Hawk, Andy and Truman venture to. Although the description Briggs gave them in his message was in relation to Jack Rabbit's Palace, rather than coordinates, it could be one of the locations referenced above or a separate place where such portals exist. It doesn't make sense that this is the same place Briggs was looking for from Hastings, since he clearly knows where it is well enough to direct others to it.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more confusing all of it is. Every time I feel I start to grasp the distinctions, I recall something else that raises a question. Perhaps there are multiple portals in the Twin Peaks area, not just Glastonbury Grove? That would at least answer part of it.

I can't wait for the final Parts so we can begin further dissecting things and making sense, if any can be made, of all these intricate details. If nothing else, Lynch sure knows how to develop a sense of mystery and intrigue through the information he presents and that which he doesn't.

I'm pretty bummed out. I'm pretty sure I have just seen legit spoilers for the rest of the season. At least there has been a leak of the episode summaries (for Russian tv or streaming services) so be careful out there!

Edit - Spoilers confirmed by Mark Frost. Be extremely careful what you read if you're trying to avoid full spoilers. 

I haven't seen any spoilers, but after having listened to a different Twin Peaks podcast, their discussion of the themes of the episode and some idle speculation on there, I'm fairly confident Good Coop is gonna maybe or maybe not come back, but more than likely going to die, and we all need to brace ourselves for that. I'm speculating here, but I would think in terms of symmetry with Laura Palmer, sacrificing himself to protect or release others would be the way he goes out. 

Regarding ZZ Top, this Lynch interview from a while back is interesting. http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/q-a-david-lynch-on-enlightenment-zz-top-and-yeezus-20140225

Which way do your musical tastes run?
I love the blues. And I love rhythm and blues, and Elvis Presley taking off from those two things. And I like rockabilly, and I like the Beatles—my favorite Beatles song is "Across the Universe."  I like Jimi Hendrix and I like Bob Dylan. ZZ Top is one of my all-time favorite bands. When I first heard them, I said, "These people have got the power. And the roots are there." But they just kick butt.

What's your favorite ZZ Top song?
"Sharp Dressed Man."

Credit for the following observations to the guys over at Almost Cancelled on MIld Fuzz TV, and which I just confirmed with my own two earballs. I certainly didn't catch it on my own, as much as I would have liked to.

When Lucy transfers Margaret Lanterman's final call to Hawk, she tells him it is on Line One. She does not say, for perhaps the first and only time in the show's history, that Line One is the one that is flashing.  An omen? Margaret's first words to Hawk, "I'm dying."

Margaret says to Hawk before the conversation ends and she says her final good night,

"Watch. Watch for that one - the one I told you about, the one under the moon on Blue Pine Mountain."

In part 11, when Hawk shows his ancient but always current map to Truman, he points in the following picture to Blue Pine Mountain, "where Maj. Briggs station was," and also "a very revered, sacred site." It's where Hawk thinks they will go (and apparently do, in Part 14) based on Briggs hidden directions.

Look at the image - what is under the moon? The same figure on the playing card Dark Coop has, the figure that Truman notes was on the hidden message from Brigss, and which Hawk tells Truman when he asks about it, "Frank, You don't ever want to know about that."

Hmmm... I started to think "that one" might be Naido, but then I remembered Briggs' message told them to go to that same location the following day, 10/2, at the same time, 2:53, when they will surely encounter .... something.

under the moon on blue pine mountain.PNG