Chris

Idle Weekend August 18, 2017: Sleepovers, Prey Tell?

Idle Weekend August 18, 2017:

Idle Weekend August 18, 2017

Sleepovers, Prey Tell?
In this fine installment of Idle Weekend, we get really excited about (GOTY) Prey, the finest damned immersive sim this side of the solar system. Rob has finished it, and we spoil the hell out of the ending. We also talk about fun sleepover games: the games of our younger years that we enjoyed on an all-night basis with buddies. It's a very happy episode of idle Weekend! Prey Spoilers! Discussed: D&D, Donkey Kong Country, Perfect Dark, Sonic 3, Prey, BioShock 2, Kingsman: The Secret Service, The Dark Knight Rises, Jane the Virgin, WWE, Lucha Libre, Dunkirk, Atomic Blonde, On the Move (autobiography by Oliver Sacks)

I think Rob just encountered a bug or change in the game state (possibly something to do with the Looking Glass display in Morgan's office?) because my wife is currently playing Prey and there is still the window looking out onto the atrium.

I can understand some people being disappointed that there aren't like radically different endings or whatever, but I really like how the ending was handled. Prey presents some ethical questions for you to address, and never insists on what the right answer is. That open-ended questioning was a refreshing contrast from the polemics of a Dishonored or a Bioshock. I like that the game closes out with a recounting of your choices throughout the game, and then closes out with one final choice that you could read a lot of different ways.

Hm. Regarding the letter about Kingsman, I think I made similar points plus some other ones in the Engine That Could thread. Do you guys not read the forums anymore? Anyway, I think you're reading statements into the film that I do not think it is making and also it seems a lot more clever (and deliberate) than you are giving it credit for. Film Critic Hulk makes a pretty good argument.