Sign in to follow this  
jennegatron

Road Trip Recommendations

Later this month my SO and I are taking a big road trip from Tampa FL to Sacramento CA. What are recommendations people have for filling ~48 hours in a car over the course of 5-6 days? Podcasts? Music? Audiobooks? Crafts? Books? 3DS games?

It's just the two of us, so things that can keep us both engaged are desirable. Things only good for a passenger are discouraged as it is the co-pilot's job to help keep the driver awake and alert. (3DS games can be good if they don't require a lot of reading and can be easily paused or looked away from to carry a conversation)

Things that are already on the short list for what's being brought:

• A trashy teen werewolf romance novel that is the sequel to a pair of books we read over the last 2 roadtrips we took that I will read aloud. The series was written by a former professor that I took classes from at our Alma Mater
  • He has fallen behind in the Adventure Zone, so I'll try to get him up to date
  • I will be taking my knitting project as that's something I can do by myself but still talk while we listen to a book or music

Listening to an artist's entire discography in chronological order is a really fun thing to do if you have the time, and you have the time.

Something to do while you are stopping to stretch your legs, a Frisbee or something. 

Here are my suggestions. These are definitely the books I thought of and not stolen from @BillTheCat

my audiobook list: Abaddon’s Gate, Between the world and me,Wolf in white van, Billy Lynn’s long halftime walk, Seveneves, Genghis Khan and the making of the modern world, The name of the wind, The dark tower, High country, Leviathan wakes, The Disaster Artist

When me and my partner did a 70+ hour roadtrip we munched through the back catalogues of mbmbam, Judge John Hodgman, and Sawbones. Something you both enjoy and easy to interrupt.

Kyuss on repeat.

If I was driving alone, I would probably queue up podcasts or audiobooks. On a roadtrip I would probably want people to take turns in choosing albums to play.

Thank you all for all the great suggestions! We struck off today.

Cory has actually read a bunch of the books recommended here and we actually personally know Marlon James who wrote A Brief History of Seven Killing! He is a professor at our alma mater and being able to say I ate Easter lunch with a Man Booker Prize winner is what I'll put in my obit as my most notable achievement. 

We're currently working through a mystery novel which is great for road trips and we may pick up a couple more in here!

Books Cory has already read:

•Wolf in White Van

•Between the World and Me

•The Name of the Wind

•The first Dark Tower book

•Dresden Files "literally all of them, but they would be fantastic road trip books"

•The Disaster Artist