Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 49: The Return, Part 14

A lot of reviewers seem to be having trouble with the concept of a "tulpa" in part because a some popular internet forums have run wild with the concept on recent years. A tulpa is a thought-form, an imagined being that can seem to take life when enough psychic power is directed at it. It can start as a fear or an imaginary friend, but takes shape with greater mental attention, and can, in some tellings, eventually become independent. Often associated with trickster-type phenomena if it breaks away from the creator's control. 

All this to say, with credit to IndieWire for planting the seed, Dougie Jones may have beem created by Bad Coop as a tulpa who lived independently until Coop entered this world and took his place.

Some thoughts on tulpas from my favorite, now-defunct blog run by Jeff Wells:

http://rigint.blogspot.com/2006/07/planet-of-lost-children-part-one.html

6 hours ago, marblize said:

frog-moth legs.

Oh wow, of course. The frog-moth came from an egg sent by the box creature so that would make sense as to why it sounds similar. That really reinforces that the girl it crawls into is Sarah.

I was rewatching episode 14, and I couldn't remember if Naido had those open wounds on her eye-area when we first saw her.  Also, I couldn't remember how the banging in the purple scene came to be labelled as 'mother', so I went back to watch episode 3.

...And, wow.

Pre-Dougie Cooper is so Cooper-like!  He asks questions, he notices things, he reacts! I appreciate it more for having had it taken away.

After Cooper tests out the electrical wall/box thing by letting it zap his head a bit, he does exhibit some very Dougie!Coop-like facial expressions.  It does seem pretty convincing that the mode of travel scrambled his mind.

Something that I had forgotten is that Cooper and Dougie do not trade places.  Dougie is jerked into the black lodge (because of the owl cave ring?) with a bang loud enough for Jade to hear, and Cooper arrives via electrical outlet.  DoppelCoop (it is funny to see him actually frightened) does see Dougie seated in the black lodge before he (DoppelCoop) ralphs.

It's Ronette/"American Girl" says "You'd better hurry, my mother's coming"  What could it mean that the Bob-barfing 'experiment' is American Girl's mother?  Was mother after Naido instead of (or as well as) Cooper?

In that scene, Naido's face wounds appeared to be stitched.  Does episode 14 come before episode 3 in Naido's personal timeline?

I got a lot out of rewatching just these couple of scenes.  I'm looking forward to the actual rewatch podcast for season 3.

Seems like Dougie got sucked into the lodge on account of dying while wearing the ring. Those early episodes are a great rewatch now even a few episodes from the end. Definitely seems like a Twin Peaks Rewatch Podcast Return Rewatchcast is gonna be in order.

3 hours ago, Maple Syrup and Ham said:

Why has no one mentioned the ninja window cleaner, loved that bit!

Ninja, yes.  Or... frog-moth?

MJD

14 hours ago, SuoTempore said:

I can't see this? Do you know at what exact time in the episode it happens?

In that scene, right as trucker gets out of his seat and comes over.  

Sarah gives a side glance.  It's a quick shot, and quite a normal shot... it registers as "old lady is uncomfortable that asshole is approaching."

But despite it being such a normal shot (and quick, like 1 second), the smoke is trailing backwards.  It was filmed in reverse.

MJD

Screen grab of the first scene in Andy's White Lodge vision, which appears to connect to the relation of alien/inter-dimensional beings as the "spirits that rule man and nature," as Hawk describes them. I thought I saw it upon my first viewing but had to re-watch and slow down to be sure. The image is shaking as Andy watches and it was very dark and extremely hard to see as a black and white image file, so I have taken the liberty of using a fill tool to colorize the figure.

twin peaks grey andy's whilte lodge vision colorized.jpg

is that a picture of the thing that came from the glass box?

wonder what happened to andy while he was in the white lodge and was shown those images. Yeah, he knew exactly what to do with Naido but he was also shown a lot of other stuff, including the picture of bad coop and good coop converging. Was everything laid bare to him?? Does he understand it all?

2 minutes ago, jrisk said:

is that a picture of the thing that came from the glass box?

wonder what happened to andy while he was in the white lodge and was shown those images. Yeah, he knew exactly what to do with Naido but he was also shown a lot of other stuff, including the picture of bad coop and good coop converging. Was everything laid bare to him?? Does he understand it all?

I don't think it's the same as the thing in the glass box/mother/experiment, though it could be. It seems more distinct in its difference in B&W, but was just too hard to see when I tried to upload the un-colorized image. It is also missing the horn type things the mother had and which appear on Dark Coop's playing card and Briggs' message.

14 minutes ago, Mentalgongfu said:

I don't think it's the same as the thing in the glass box/mother/experiment, though it could be. It seems more distinct in its difference in B&W, but was just too hard to see when I tried to upload the un-colorized image. It is also missing the horn type things the mother had and which appear on Dark Coop's playing card and Briggs' message.

To my eyes it's definitely the thing from the glass box. And the sequence of images, first showing the glass box thing and then immediately afterwards showing the BOB-vomiting entity from pt. 8 connects them very strongly, to the point where we are supposed to infer that they are one and the same.

3 minutes ago, FRENDEN said:

I assume that's mother.

After just reviewing the black box scene from Part I and the experiment scene from Part 8, I would tend to agree it is likely the same thing in all 3 scenes.

24 minutes ago, Mentalgongfu said:

After just reviewing the black box scene from Part I and the experiment scene from Part 8, I would tend to agree it is likely the same thing in all 3 scenes.

... and I'm thinking that Mother will end up being Sarah Palmer?

• Those naked teens watched the glass box in New York, like watching a TV.  Then they were killed by the Mother Video Effect.
  • Meanwhile, across the country, Sarah Palmer was watching violence on TV intensely.  
  • Not pictured: she took off her face, jumped through the TV, and killed those teens.

I think Sarah is currently possessed by the mother after the mother made her way into our dimension and killed the teens.

I don't think she spirit ghosted out of Sarah then to return to her via her tv or what have ya. I think Sarah picked her up later.

I mean. Naomi watts played a Diane in a movie that had Laura and Ronette in it driving a relationship between the nightmare of mulholland drive and twin peaks. Even Laura Dern's terrible wig is a reference to Laura Harring's wig from MD. Anyone on board with this? I don't think it moves any plots or anything, but it's a neat reference. 

2 hours ago, Crunchnoisy said:

... and I'm thinking that Mother will end up being Sarah Palmer?

• Those naked teens watched the glass box in New York, like watching a TV.  Then they were killed by the Mother Video Effect.
  • Meanwhile, across the country, Sarah Palmer was watching violence on TV intensely.  
  • Not pictured: she took off her face, jumped through the TV, and killed those teens.

The lion WAS eating a face. 

Holy cow, what a great episode! Can´t wait to hear the podcast.

Some thoghts about this amazing Part 14:

- it seemed to me that Sarah is able to control this powerful spirit inside of her. And it´s interesting that the killing of that trucker was a response to his harassment. Because, in an ethical sense, you want this guy to be punished in some way for this kind of behaviour (which does not mean that I would excuse to bite the shit out of others people´s necks). I do not believe that Sarah will use this power to murder innocents. And because of that I don´t think that she is this "experiment" thing from the box in N.Y.

- by talking about "mother(s)" I remember my first thought when I watched Naido gently touching Cooper´s face to recognize him in that scene in Part 3. I thought that this is typical for parents and that Naido is Cooper´s mother.
Two Coopers / two mothers, one good, one evil. Cooper always seemed to me of not being from this world, which kind of strenghten my believe in this possibility.

- I agree that Andy was choosen to visit the White Lodge because he held the hand of Naido und has a good heart. Love is the entrance to that place (would love to see it coloured, not black and white)

- Someone mentioned the strange way of putting Naido into a prison cell and I totally agree...WTH? So very yrev absurd! I´m afraid that bad things will happen down there with Chad, Naido and the bleeding guy (maybe Billy). Did I see it right that his blood dissolved the floor of the prison cell?

- I truly love Gordon Cole but I´m not ok with his handling of the Dougie search. Now Dougie is (again) in danger because of Gordon´s hint that he might be armed and dangerous. I hope the Las Vegas FBI section will not screw this up. Why didn´t Gordon just asked Diane where her sister lives? Not good police work Director Cole!

Hope my english is not too bad. Love to read your ideas about the show and to listen to the podcast which I found just a few weeks ago. Nice work Chris and Jake, thanks for that!

I don't think the blood had dissolved the floor, it just wasn't as deep red on the ground from the drool / saliva / spit from his mouth dripping down along with it, which made it appear abnormal. It almost looked like a brown puddle of oil.

3 hours ago, Endofastart said:

I mean. Naomi watts played a Diane in a movie that had Laura and Ronette in it driving a relationship between the nightmare of mulholland drive and twin peaks. Even Laura Dern's terrible wig is a reference to Laura Harring's wig from MD. Anyone on board with this? I don't think it moves any plots or anything, but it's a neat reference. 

I don't think I would read too much into it. Lynch re-uses the same actors all the time in his work. McLachlan and Dern are the obvious ones as they are in various films, but there are loads of others. Just from the new Twin Peaks - Audrey and Sarah are both in Wild at Heart, drug dealer Red is in Lost Highway, Big Ed is in Dune. I'm sure there are more.

7 hours ago, Mentalgongfu said:

which appears to connect to the relation of alien/inter-dimensional beings as the "spirits that rule man and nature," as Hawk describes them.

Is it possible then that these beings are not evil as such, but simply amoral. While Bob was unleashed by it, so was the frogmoth egg and we are still uncertain of its motives. Despite Sarah's attack on the dickbag in the bar, it doesn't seem like she is evil in the way Bob is.

Perhaps these beings 'lay' hundreds of eggs with no care as to whether the spirits that hatch will be good or bad, but basically just to kick back and watch the results. Let your children make their own mistakes.

If Cooper had been spotted coming through the glass box, perhaps it would have been possible to prevent him being swapped with Dougie. Maybe the being actually wanted the bad Cooper returned to the lodge, and was punishing the couple as they missed the chance for that to happen. (I must admit, my memory is hazy of which order these events happened in episode 1)

I don't think I believe any of what I've just written is correct but I do enjoy exploring lots of different possibilities for what's going on.

34 minutes ago, SuoTempore said:

I don't think I would read too much into it. Lynch re-uses the same actors all the time in his work. McLachlan and Dern are the obvious ones as they are in various films, but there are loads of others. Just from the new Twin Peaks - Audrey and Sarah are both in Wild at Heart, drug dealer Red is in Lost Highway, Big Ed is in Dune. I'm sure there are more.

Since this season has centered around so many characters with the same name or identity having the half sister of Laura dern's diane, being named diane in something else does not seem suspicious? I understand that lynch has used many actors in several things (you missed Balthazar Getty and Justin Thoreaux), but the naming has always been distinct. Like I said it may not be a plot point, but I would be surprised if it wasn't intentional. If I'm not mistaken lynch has said that most of his works take place in the same universe. Oh shit we both forgot Jack Nance and Grace Zabriskie. Lynchpins of his casting, but they never had a clear connection to themselves. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Jackpots said:

Two mothers, one good, one evil. Cooper always seemed to me of not being from this world, which kind of strenghten my believe in this possibility.

You know, I've never thought of it like this, but the idea that Cooper is intrinsically connected the the Other World, and not just stumbling into it via Laura Palmer/being in the FBI is very interesting. It seems that all his intuition comes to him from dreams or visions, which as we've seen, involve beings from the Other World. Even as Dougie, all his actions are being directed by Mike and (maybe) The Fireman via visions. In the scene from FWWM used in this week's ep, he's telling Cole about a dream he had about that day, and uses this intuition to predict what will happen on the security camera. Then Jeffries points to him and asks Cole, "Who do you think this is?" Is Cooper not what we think he is?  Did he ever actually have any agency, or was he always just being directed around by beings from the Other World, just like Dougie is being? Or was he himself somehow created through the Other World? Is this how he became involved in Blue Rose anyway? I don't really know where I'm going with this; just some weird stuff to think about. I doubt any of this will be answered in the show!

All this might be disproven by the autobiography that was published in the 90s, but I'm not sure if that's canon. I've never read it.