Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 49: The Return, Part 14

@Owl

I noticed the lamp too. If I recall correctly, there was also a miniature one on a table in the same style. 

I am not yet on board with Diane having anything to do with manufactured Dougie. It is weird for her to admit to having the Janey E/Dougie connection, though we know she is communicating with someone about directing the FBI to Las Vegas, but I can't buy she was in on Dougie's creation without seeing something more explicit about how she ties into all that has been going on. Her continued refusal to talk about the last time she saw Cooper seems important, though the why and how are still unclear.

My feeling is Sarah's apparent possession/habitation is relatively new. It's possible it was ongoing when Laura and Maddie were alive, but I think it might be related to the return of the woodsmen ("men are coming") or the Experiment/Mother coming through the box in New York.

3 hours ago, Gregalor said:

Did anyone flash back to Bobby and Mike barking in the jail cell during this jail scene? Two people freaking out a third by making loud animal noises.

Yeah, that immediately occurred to me as well.  Bobby and Mike come off as so incredibly unhinged in that scene (and in the original pilot in general). 

27 minutes ago, Mentalgongfu said:

@Marius

I don't recall that. What Part is the screengrab from?

It's from one of the bad season 2 episodes, where Andy thinks the small kid called Nicky is evil. It was an awful gag.

My post was meant to be a joke... but what if The Return reveals that all that happens in Season 2 is heavy foreshadowing and actually genius?!

2 hours ago, richardco said:

I really need a gif of Gordon Cole walking into the room, giving a thumbs up, and saying "Coffee time."

Here u go

COFFEE_TIME.gif

10 hours ago, axis1500 said:

So, for some reason, David Bowie's voice was redubbed. This leads to all sorts of questions... 

Actually, I'm pretty sure that scene was taken from the Missing Pieces as opposed to the theatrical version of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me. I do remember how different this moment from the theatrical version was, and I do believe Lynch used slightly different angles and possibly even different takes for the Missing Pieces. I could be wrong about where the audio comes from. I'm still hoping to see Bowie appear at some point but, as the episode count shortens, it's becoming harder for me to believe that will be the case. It's certainly possible, however, given the secrecy surrounding this season.

11 hours ago, axis1500 said:

So, for some reason, David Bowie's voice was redubbed. This leads to all sorts of questions... 

This makes me think that if Philip Jeffries does appear again in this season, it will be either as a disembodied voice, or as some sort of lodge spirit a la the Tree Guy. That would explain why they chose to redub this part to keep it consistent. I mean, it makes sense, considering that during the events of FWWM (now 26 years ago) he was already so completely jumbled by lodge nonsense, the idea that he would lose all vestiges of human form seems to track pretty well. 

So, like, was the smoke-spewing finger inside Sarah Palmer's monster face thing a cock? 

Because it looks like a cock. A thick meaty penis. 

S1A4VYa.png

50 minutes ago, jharp said:

So, like, was the smoke-spewing finger inside Sarah Palmer's monster face thing a cock? 

S1A4VYa.png

That's the ring finger.  I'd imagine, rotted black from the "owl ring" at some point.

Will it be revealed that, though Leland killed Laura, it was really Sarah that put her husband to the task, even if unwillingly?  Bob haunted Sarah after Laura's death, so Bob got into Leland through his own wife... Sarah always knew her family was doomed...

Backwards-Thing Sighting:  just before Sarah's face-off with the trucker, there's a shot of her looking over at him... and the smoke was curling back down into her cigarette.

To add to what Crunchnoisy said, I'm pretty sure the blackened finger in that scene is the same one that Gordon refers to as the "spiritual mound/finger" in an earlier episode when talking to Agent Preston. 

1 hour ago, Crunchnoisy said:

That's the ring finger.  I'd imagine, rotted black from the "owl ring" at some point.

Will it be revealed that, though Leland killed Laura, it was really Sarah that put her husband to the task, even if unwillingly?  Bob haunted Sarah after Laura's death, so Bob got into Leland through his own wife... Sarah always knew her family was doomed...

Backwards-Thing Sighting:  just before Sarah's face-off with the trucker, there's a shot of her looking over at him... and the smoke was curling back down into her cigarette.

That'd be a pretty major retcon given that Leland says Bob first encountered him as a child

47 minutes ago, Arianna said:

That'd be a pretty major retcon given that Leland says Bob first encountered him as a child

So... in that old 1950s nuke movie we saw in Episode 8... maybe that other person, the boy walking with the girl, was Leland?  I don't remember enough to be sure.  And maybe he "encountered" him through his relationship with Child Sarah.  

I'm down this rabbit hole and I don't think I'm coming out.   Sarah is the tragic "surrogate mother" of Bob.  And Laura is the even-more-tragic angel that is born into strife, as savior figures often are.

By the end, BadCoop will encounter Sarah and call her "Mom" before their epic bossfight showdown.  Aw man, the gloves (and the faces) will come off for that fight!

2 hours ago, Crunchnoisy said:

So... in that old 1950s nuke movie we saw in Episode 8... maybe that other person, the boy walking with the girl, was Leland?  I don't remember enough to be sure.  And maybe he "encountered" him through his relationship with Child Sarah.  

I'm down this rabbit hole and I don't think I'm coming out.   Sarah is the tragic "surrogate mother" of Bob.  And Laura is the even-more-tragic angel that is born into strife, as savior figures often are.

By the end, BadCoop will encounter Sarah and call her "Mom" before their epic bossfight showdown.  Aw man, the gloves (and the faces) will come off for that fight!

Nope. Leland literally describes how he first met BOB at his grandfather's house by Pearl Lakes (which is near Glastonbury Grove...) as a young child and how he let him inside himself. Without a major retcon this isn't possible.

1 hour ago, Arianna said:

Nope. Leland literally describes how he first met BOB at his grandfather's house by Pearl Lakes (which is near Glastonbury Grove...) as a young child and how he let him inside himself. Without a major retcon this isn't possible.

This is fun. :)

Not possible?  Let's just step sideways slightly, and make it possible.

Sarah infects Leland, probably when they copulate for the first time, and then, unawares, later...  

Grandpa tries to molest young Leland in the bathroom of the Pearl Lakes house.

Leland gathers the will to fight him off, and that assertion of power awakens Bob.

Grandpa flees in shame (and with a bloody nose) as Leland looks over to the bathroom mirror...  and sees Bob.

And in that moment, likes what he sees... and thus lets him in.

3 hours ago, jrisk said:

hopefully the green glove doesn't come off. they're gonna need it.

Green Hand with crushing power.

Audrey with the Red shoes.

Gordon Cole Blue Rose...

Yellow... there's gotta be some Yellow power I'm forgetting...

And finally we have Sarah Palmer with inky Black void behind her face.  She's obviously willing to Form The Head.

Twin Peaks Voltron finale.

7 hours ago, jharp said:

S1A4VYa.png

Can't unsee... If the background is white... Shudder....

9 hours ago, Crunchnoisy said:

I can't see this? Do you know at what exact time in the episode it happens?

I thought the sound effect when the first 'things' came out of her face (at first I thought they looked like metal spikes but now I feel they may be elongated fingers? - see pic) was similar to the stabbing sounds made by the box creature when it was attacking the naked couple in the first episode.5993880deacc0_sarahface.thumb.png.c50b5ec27b32a98b5543e06196c5872e.png

25 minutes ago, SuoTempore said:

(at first I thought they looked like metal spikes but now I feel they may be elongated fingers? - see pic)

frog-moth legs.

possible theory: Dougie Jones was somehow made out of a Cooper head on a Major Briggs body? What if Diane is not colluding  with BadCoop and she thinks Dougie looks like Major Briggs for some reason?? (Spooky music cue). 

4 hours ago, Crunchnoisy said:

Green Hand with crushing power.

Audrey with the Red shoes.

Gordon Cole Blue Rose...

Yellow... there's gotta be some Yellow power I'm forgetting...

And finally we have Sarah Palmer with inky Black void behind her face.  She's obviously willing to Form The Head.

Twin Peaks Voltron finale.

hWd3agdl.jpg

the real dougie comes back in the form of a golden orb