Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 49: The Return, Part 14

James is working as a private security guard, which I liked as a parallel between him and Bobby, who were sort of foils to one another in the original run of the show as well.

Oh man, this episode felt really nice. It felt like the kind of twin peaks that most people would probably expect from just more twin peaks. very satisfying.

I was really hoping they'd bump into Jerry Horne while they're in the woods. 

12 minutes ago, Aaronepower said:

The badge's on their shoulders said "Security" so I think James and the English teen are just nightwatchmen for some warehouse.

12 minutes ago, Mentalgongfu said:

James is definitely not part of the sheriff's office - I'm sure we would have seen that before. My impression is that he and his Hulk-handed friend are sort of security guards/maintenance staff at The Great Northern. Otherwise, I agree with your take on the rest.

We get a nice shot of The Great Northern before the scene where Hulk hand tells his lodge origin story, so I'm pretty sure Mentalgongfu is right. Plus, the high-pitched ringing noise playing when James goes to check out the furnace after Hulk hand's story is the same noise Beverly and Ben are trying to pinpoint in Ben's office in earlier episodes. I hope James is alright. He's too cool to die. 

3 minutes ago, CussedCayuse said:

I hope James is alright. He's too cool to die. 

Oh man, when James said to Hulk-hand "We're cool" I said to the TV screen "We've always been cool." 

1 hour ago, Nappi said:

On the other hand, I loved how ominous things got when one of the women at the Roadhouse asked the name of the other woman's mother, and she replied "Tina". As far as the audience is aware, that name shouldn't mean anything, except that Audrey is not talking complete nonsense, right?

Actually, Tina is who Charlie calls in episode 12.

I don't think the man in the jail cell was Billy - I think there's just a motif of blood coming out of people's noses/mouths/necks/heads this season.  He had clearly been in some kind of bar fight.

Man, what a freaking episode. The Sarah scene is gonna give me nightmares.

Billy in the jail cell isn't a for sure thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was him either.

"Billy" in jail also just repeated everything said aloud in the room like Dougie does. He never made an independent vocalization, all were mimicry.

My read was that the man in the jail cell with the bloody mouth was Billy. The two women talking at the end of the episode mention that Billy ran into the back yard  with a mouth that was dripping blood. And they sure did focus on his dripping mouth for a long time.  Plus we know from Audrey scenes that Billy and Tina know each other and Tina is apparently the mom that was present for that scene with Billy

Furthermore, is that man (who is potentially Billy/in the cell) in the same state as Dougie? Maybe he’s not drunk. Maybe he was just repeating everything in the same way that Dougie repeats what he hears. That might explain why he went missing?

I think you might be like Dougie -- we simultaneously posted the same theory, lol.

14 minutes ago, FRENDEN said:

I think you might be like Dougie -- we simultaneously posted the same theory, lol.

lol damn. Welp, glad we're on the same page....

3 hours ago, Alastair said:

something about that setup - being forced to accept something deliberately out-of-character through the inner logic of the world itself - is such a specific and powerful comedic trigger for me. (See also: the gym set conversation.)

Morn from Star Trek DS9 is another great example of this, I agree it is very good. 

1 hour ago, CussedCayuse said:

We get a nice shot of The Great Northern before the scene where Hulk hand tells his lodge origin story, so I'm pretty sure Mentalgongfu is right. Plus, the high-pitched ringing noise playing when James goes to check out the furnace after Hulk hand's story is the same noise Beverly and Ben are trying to pinpoint in Ben's office in earlier episodes. I hope James is alright. He's too cool to die. 

Definitely, their shoulder patches say Great Northern Hotel Security and the establishing shot + noise would be enough to indicate that even without the direct evidence on their shirts.

Yeah it even said Great Northern on his shoulder patch too. 

26 minutes ago, chumm said:

Morn from Star Trek DS9 is another great example of this, I agree it is very good. 

Oh man, 'Who Mourns Morn?' was such a great/so bad it's good episode. I love DS9 <3

This episode broke my brain. I still don't know how I feel about some of it.

I will say that I really enjoyed the Jack Rabbit's Palace stuff, I wasn't sure if this event that had been setup for 4(?) episodes now would pay off. I felt they absolutely nailed it, down to the way the guys came back to reality as it were. I assume that's what the soil was for, to anchor them to that specific spot. It was gorgeous. And still quite unsettling during the setup, daytime and all. And the reveal of Naido, wow. Completely unexpected. How Andy was the one to get the Lodge lore dump and took charge after the fact while everyone else was disoriented. Loved it all.

11 hours ago, Captain Fram said:
  Reveal hidden contents

THIS IS WHAT WE DO IN THE FBI!!!!!

- I thought the big camera move towards the tree stump at Jack Rabbit's Palace was a bit out of place for Twin Peaks, until I saw this: tumblr_ounipju1qY1wn0y83o1_1280.jpg

I didn't notice that, but it's amazing and makes so much sense! That the woman from the purple room should emerge near this tower-like structure. And I wonder again whether she's meant to be Josie. Did she somehow transfer from a wooden doorknob into a wooden tree stump? Does the purple realm inhabit all wood? Probably not but it's something to ponder. 

3 hours ago, Professor Video Games said:

I think it's possible that his experience in the lodge would have appeared just as cryptic to us as Andy's did. Andy seemed to know exactly what was going on and what to do once he returned despite his just seeing a stream of strange imagery on the ceiling.

I agree. The way people come away from Lodge experiences with more coherent information that we see on screen closely matches my own experience in dreams: things happen and I acquire knowledge, but the knowledge I acquire doesn't particularly correspond to the events happening. The scene gradually changes and background information just kind of emerges in my mind. I'm sure it's similar for many people if not everyone. 

2 hours ago, WickedCestus said:

I got the feeling that somehow "Mom", the figure chasing after the blind woman and (maybe) Dougie/GoodCoop (she showed up in the glass box after he appeared), has something to do with Sarah Palmer. Now that we know for sure that Sarah contains something sinister, that was the first idea that popped into my head. I don't have much to say about that other than wild speculation and instinct.

I'm a little angry at myself for that not even occurring to me. It makes a lot of sense, and has a grimness to it entirely consistent with Twin Peaks, and brings things back to Laura Palmer, who is kind of conspicuous in her absence, short of diary pages and mentions of the case. There would be a fitting tragedy to the demonic Mother being associated with or inhabiting Laura's literal mother.

54 minutes ago, FRENDEN said:

"Billy" in jail also just repeated everything said aloud in the room like Dougie does. He never made an independent vocalization, all were mimicry.

I was wondering when somebody was going to mention this. It seemed extremely deliberate. Is this what happens when someone without Cooper's innate ability go through the same sort of transdimensional journey? 

14 hours ago, Existing user? said:

- The London guy's given destiny (hilarious! What will he use his hand for? Arm wrestling Bad Coop?)

That seems like a pretty perfect reason for his involvement. 

That guy's pretty great, but I can't work out if it's because of or despite his apples-and-pears-guvnor accent. I don't think many people his age speak with a classic cockney accent these days, but it makes total sense in the world of Twin Peaks. I love that he explained jobsworths, too. Did Frost or Lynch just really like that word? 

Good lord, what a corker! All my doubts about where all these threads are going are assuaged. Not that I think it will all be neatly tied up at the end, but there is at least some meaningful connective tissue, which doesn't (to me) feel cheap or lazy. 

7 hours ago, Cleinhun said:

I think it's plausible that Diane has just never met Dougie, given that she doesn't like Janey very much. 

I got the feeling Diane helped bad Coop set up the Dougie thing.  Diane went from "Fuck you, and I can't even tell you if Briggs was mentioned" to "Here's a lot of personal information."  Dougie was set up with many enemies, if Diane hates her sis, then here's a way to get at her, much like what was done with Bill Hastings and his wife.  It seems impossible that Diane wouldn't know what her sister's husband looks like.  She knows his name, and the couple has been together for ten years.  

23 minutes ago, axis1500 said:

So, for some reason, David Bowie's voice was redubbed. This leads to all sorts of questions... 

Ah, I thought the voice sounded a little off at the time! Didn't consider it could be redubbed. Knowing that, I have a feeling we might see more of David Bowie's character. Hard to say if it's going to be using more old footage or if he'll be some kind of talking entity, though. 

6 minutes ago, Emily said:

Ah, I thought the voice sounded a little off at the time! Didn't consider it could be redubbed. Knowing that, I have a feeling we might see more of David Bowie's character. Hard to say if it's going to be using more old footage or if he'll be some kind of talking entity, though. 

Maybe a talking Blackstar album sleeve on a spindly tree?

According to Twitter, a Russian streaming service has leaked plot details for the remaining episodes, including the finale- be careful out there ;0

Theory: Log Lady's log is a branch from the tree that now forms jack rabbits palace.

Ooh, I love that.

So, all those "Where's my Original Recipe Coop?" people can stop fretting. They got their wish. I never really subscribed to that. I am a very gullible viewer and don't speculate or prognosticate, so I was just along for the ride But seeing OG Dale hit me hard in the heart place. 

Did anyone flash back to Bobby and Mike barking in the jail cell during this jail scene? Two people freaking out a third by making loud animal noises.

I'm pretty sure that the lamp behind Andy in the Fireman's house/dream scene is the same lamp as in the scenes with Ben Horne and Beverly trying to locate the noise.

Then there's a buzz of electricity behind all the audio in the scene (iirc), and Andy disappears in another buzz - it seemed to me like he went through the lamp.

Also, why Jeffries's "who do you think this is?!" moment with Cooper? I have no idea where to start with that one. Of course, that pretty much describes the whole episode for me.

It does kind of look to me like Diane might have helped set up or at least known about Dougie the manufactured Cooper doppel, but she seemed awfully surprised and forthcoming with information for that to be the case. I am confused. :)

I wonder if Sarah's situation is like the original Bob situation, with her not knowing her possessor (mom monster?) is there or at least not being in control of it. I'm inclined to think so, partly because of the "there's something in the kitchen" scene - maybe that means that whatever it was had left her body and was in the kitchen, separate from her. And her spazziness, and the way her face sometimes almost seems to be making two different expressions on each half (am I imagining this?) would fit with that. But honestly I'd buy that she's just possessed all the time now too. I don't know.

Also, interesting that Sarah and Laura both have removed their faces and revealed... something. I don't know if that has any significance though.

Also, wtf this episode was amazing. So much happened that it's hard to even try to hypothesize, and most of it I didn't see coming at all.