Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 49: The Return, Part 14

Twin Peaks Rewatch 49:

Twin Peaks Rewatch 49

The Return, Part 14
It was a jam-packed, breakneck episode of Twin Peaks this week, full of new connections and long-awaited revelations, standout performances all around, dreams that seamlessly blinked 25 years into the past, and a guy with a green glove that gives him super strength in one arm. In Part 14 we were served a cocktail of Twin Peaks past and present, where good and bad mix up and overlap so much you can't quite tell what is which, and that's the best kind of episode to pick apart and really discuss in depth .

Links mentioned on this episode:

Philip Jefferies - Fire Walk With Me/The Return Voice Differences
Recreated - "Black Yukon Sucker Punch" from Twin Peaks

If you have a question for us or thoughts to share on the new season of Twin Peaks, write us at [email protected].

Looking for a place to discuss the season with fellow viewers? We recommend the Twin Peaks Rewatch forum.

There's soooo much to talk about....

Andy's Big Fireman Adventure

Sarah Palmer and the Westworld Neck Biter

Gordon Cole's Magical Mystery Tour

Chad Is Still An Asshole

Billy Is Bleeding

Tina is Not a Coma-Dream

????? Gets A Name

I need at least a day to digest this episode before I can say anything substantive, but Wow, Bob, Wow!

I had to post this on reddit because this thread wasn't up yet and I needed validation that I wasn't crazy:

The furnace sequence with James felt eerily similar to the killer reveal in the European pilot of Twin Peaks. Did anyone else get that vibe?

Lots of accounts of encounters with the other side. More than usual, right? People crossing over, coming back with information. A sense of the mystical working behind the scenes, often deliberately involing certain individuals for an unknown purpose.

Especially:

- Andy meeting the Fireman

- The London guy's given destiny (hilarious! What will he use his hand for? Arm wrestling Bad Coop?)

but also:

- That Lois dippelganger story

- Cole's dream, Jeffries' return

- The road house teens and their odd story

P.S. As an aside, how amazing would a scene with old Bowie have been? He'd have looked perfect in this show with all the other silver haired oldsters, with his weird face and eyes too far apart. Just wanted one painfully slow reverse-cutting dialog scene with old Bowie staring at Cole or anybody. Damn it.

I'm not even sure what to think of this episode, not because of how much happened, but because, let's see... Sarah Palmer took her face off, the outrageous Fireman story involving the glove, and then there's James and the mysterious noise which, I hope, has something to do with Josie so we can get some answers there. Despite the fact that this is Twin Peaks, I sincerely believe we will get all the answers we want in these last few episodes. People have been complaining, but everything's coming together - kinda. Even if more questions pop up with each new episode. Also, who else found the scene with the window wiper and Gordon hilarious? The noise Gordon made was priceless as he tried to turn the box down. "Aeahehaehehhh."

I also loved Gordon's bafflement at Lucy when he asked if she had been working as the sheriff's receptionist all through the years, and she took it literally. "You've been there all through the years, Lucy?" "Well, actually, I have gone home, and Andy and I have taken some vacations. One year we went to Bora Bora." *silence*

1 hour ago, richardco said:

I had to post this on reddit because this thread wasn't up yet and I needed validation that I wasn't crazy:

The furnace sequence with James felt eerily similar to the killer reveal in the European pilot of Twin Peaks. Did anyone else get that vibe?

Yes, it was exactly that. I was almost expecting Bob to appear from the pilot scene when James passed that one corner with the pipes.

This was the best episode so far in this season. Excellent all the way.

Was it really supposed to be Billy in the jail cell?

Okay, so this one really moved. 

Pretty sure the long-haired woman in the final Roadhouse scene was being manipulated/gaslit by the other lady in the same way Charlie seems to manipulate Audrey. When she asked what her mother's name was, it seemed like the other girl was confused or second before supplying the name Tina (this is also when the spooky droning Twin Peaks music kicks in). Up until that point we could've reasonably concluded that her mom is Audrey, because she mentions her mom and him "had a thing up until pretty recently." When she recounts the Billy story it sounds so much like a she's recounting a dream and the details are fading in that ephemeral way dream details often do. She can't remember if her mom screamed or not; can't remember if her uncle was there. Also she never reported this to anyone from the sounds of it, which seems like something you might not do when you're working under dream logic. She is definitely getting Jedi mind tricked. 

Spoiler

THIS IS WHAT WE DO IN THE FBI!!!!!

Freakin' incredible. This episode was too good. A few notes:

- From the moment that douche in the bar turned to reveal his "truck you" shirt, I knew he was a dead man. But holy shit Sarah Palmer o_O

- Diane's Janey-E connection was wholly unexpected and adds another interesting wrinkle if she does turn out to be working for Bad Coop

- I thought the big camera move towards the tree stump at Jack Rabbit's Palace was a bit out of place for Twin Peaks, until I saw this: tumblr_ounipju1qY1wn0y83o1_1280.jpg

There's so much more to unpack. Sooooooo goooooooooooooooood.

4 hours ago, Existing user? said:

- The London guy's given destiny (hilarious! What will he use his hand for? Arm wrestling Bad Coop?)

God I hope.  

2 hours ago, Captain Fram said:
  Reveal hidden contents

THIS IS WHAT WE DO IN THE FBI!!!!!

Freakin' incredible. This episode was too good. A few notes:

- From the moment that douche in the bar turned to reveal his "truck you" shirt, I knew he was a dead man. But holy shit Sarah Palmer o_O

- Diane's Janey-E connection was wholly unexpected and adds another interesting wrinkle if she does turn out to be working for Bad Coop

- I thought the big camera move towards the tree stump at Jack Rabbit's Palace was a bit out of place for Twin Peaks, until I saw this: tumblr_ounipju1qY1wn0y83o1_1280.jpg

There's so much more to unpack. Sooooooo goooooooooooooooood.

Maybe it's just because I am reading this on my telephone that I can't see, but what is the first picture?

3 hours ago, CussedCayuse said:

Okay, so this one really moved. 

Pretty sure the long-haired woman in the final Roadhouse scene was being manipulated/gaslit by the other lady in the same way Charlie seems to manipulate Audrey. When she asked what her mother's name was, it seemed like the other girl was confused or second before supplying the name Tina (this is also when the spooky droning Twin Peaks music kicks in). Up until that point we could've reasonably concluded that her mom is Audrey, because she mentions her mom and him "had a thing up until pretty recently." When she recounts the Billy story it sounds so much like a she's recounting a dream and the details are fading in that ephemeral way dream details often do. She can't remember if her mom screamed or not; can't remember if her uncle was there. Also she never reported this to anyone from the sounds of it, which seems like something you might not do when you're working under dream logic. She is definitely getting Jedi mind tricked. 

What if she's a twin of Richard and is also called Linda

35 minutes ago, Arianna said:

Maybe it's just because I am reading this on my telephone that I can't see, but what is the first picture?

I think it's the thing from Part 8 where the Fireman and that woman live (so maybe it's the White Lodge?)

This morning as I was waking up I realized... it's really strange that they found a naked asian woman in the woods with no eyes or nose but what look like open wounds on her face, but they didn't think maybe she needed to be taken to the hospital or anything, just put her in one of Lucy's old robes and toss her in the jail cell for now. 

OK maybe not weird for Twin Peaks, and they did just seem to all have sudden amnesia except for maybe Andy but they seem awful nonchalant about this seemingly mutilated woman they found in the woods. 

Really amazing episode and I have to say of all the characters I thought would get a white lodge lore dump, Andy wasn't even on the list. 

Man, I get that they are tired of telling Chad not to eat in the conference room, but arresting him over it seems like a bit much

"Wilson, how many times have I told youuuuuuu!  This is what we do in the FBI!"

Oh I love how I never see this whacky shit coming.  Also I loved that Freddy's story incorporated introducing James to the term 'jobsworth'...

I can't believe how much we are underselling Diane being related to Janey-E. I audibly screeched when that reveal hit, and then it was immediately washed away by everything else in this episode. It also raises a lot of questions about the origins of Dougie. 

I love that Andy gets the role of delivering information from the spirit realm this time, while all the competent Twin Peaks Sheriff Department can't even remember what happened. 

I did not expect Sarah Palmer to be a physical portal into hell, but the more I think about the more I know I now can't live any other way. 

Gordon Cole apparently has a known genre of portentious and lore-heavy Monica Bellucci dreams. That is hilarious. I also love the level of immediate respect Gordon Cole commands from the LV FBI guys. Also, the deliberateness of Gordon Cole not referring to Janey-E to the FBI guys will make it unnecessarily difficult to get these plot threads together in a way that is so classic Twin Peaks The Return. 

41 minutes ago, Gamebeast23456 said:

I can't believe how much we are underselling Diane being related to Janey-E. I audibly screeched when that reveal hit, and then it was immediately washed away by everything else in this episode. It also raises a lot of questions about the origins of Dougie.

I have to think that Diane is lying. Obviously she would have noticed at some point her brother in law looks exactly like Cooper?

Maybe she is trying to trick them into thinking Dougie is the bad cooper? Remember the "did they ask about Las Vegas yet?" message? 

I think it's plausible that Diane has just never met Dougie, given that she doesn't like Janey very much. 

1 hour ago, Cleinhun said:

I think it's plausible that Diane has just never met Dougie, given that she doesn't like Janey very much. 

This is also what I assumed. I can barely imagine Janey and Diane in the same universe, let alone the same room, so I just assumed it meant she hadn't met Dougie, but the texts purps mentioned make me less inclined to put much stock in that assumption.

56 minutes ago, purps said:

I have to think that Diane is lying. Obviously she would have noticed at some point her brother in law looks exactly like Cooper?

Maybe she is trying to trick them into thinking Dougie is the bad cooper? Remember the "did they ask about Las Vegas yet?" message? 

She did say that they were estranged so it is reasonable that she knows their names without ever visiting. The "Las Vegas?" and "They haven't asked yet." messages do put a shade of doubt on it as what other plot threads are there left in Las Vegas? Maybe they were talking about Mr. Todd? Do Diane and bad Cooper know that Good Cooper is alive?