Sign in to follow this  
BigJKO

Wet Hot American Summer

I've started watching the latest Netflix version, Ten Years Later and am really enjoying it.

I don't have a lot of thoughts yet, but I felt I'd make a thread now in case anyone else is watching as well and has any thoughts.

So here's your official Wet Hot American Summer thread for all your Wet Hot American Summer chat about the movie and the two Netflix seasons. :tup:

I've never seen my SO laugh as hard as he did when Paul Rudd sings

the opening number of the musical from the tv show 

I watched 10 Years Later this past weekend and felt exactly the same about it as I did with First Day of Camp, which is to say I didn't like it.  WHAS the movie is something I absolute adore. On multiple occasions I've watched the movie and as soon as the credits ended just started the movie over again on the spot which puts it in exclusive company with Airplane! for me.  For some reason though these sequels just don't do anything for me. I'm not sure if it's that they're taking things too far or if it's the way they're messing with the characters, but for whatever reason the jokes just don't land the same way for me and while I've tried super hard to like both of these seasons I've just ended up really disappointed.  I was really looking forward to this new season too after reading that it was inspired by Singles and the Big Chill and I assumed that it was going to have a different tone than First Day of Camp and maybe be a little more serious with the characters and less over the top, but it felt the exact same as the last one to me.

I watched the first season because it was colorful and mildly amusing and I was hoping for it to get funnier but it never did. I had forgotten about the last part already when the new season aired and watched three or so episodes in a row. I guess I just don't like this series. I'm not entirely sure why this is, because on paper it sounds pretty fun. One aspect might be that it tries so hard to be "bad" and it feels artificial to me. I can't explain it very well. 

I don't remember much about the movie, but I recall liking it a lot more.

13 hours ago, Nappi said:

One aspect might be that it tries so hard to be "bad" and it feels artificial to me. I can't explain it very well. 

This is where I am (including having trouble articulating me feeling about it).  Like the original was a super over the top parody, but the new seasons have an additional layer of intentional self awareness that makes it harder for me to engage with them in the same way.  In the movie Coop is trying to be a goofy character from an old 80's summer camp movie, but in the new ones he's very much trying to be Michael Showalter in a wig playing a goofy character from a 2001 summer camp movie.