Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 48: The Return, Part 13

Hmmm, re-reading that I don't mean to be an arsehole at the end there - my point is not that your opinion is wrong or that you shouldn't be watching or anything: I just think that the show's a lot more fun if you abandon the idea that it is going to be anything but slow-paced and sometimes not forthcoming.

Digger, and I say this honestly as nicely as I can: life’s too short, friend. Watch something else if you don’t enjoy this. I did that with Breaking Bad - watched a season and a half, hated all of it, and have been much happier knowing I never have to watch it again. 

What if everyone in the roadhouse is actually dead? We see a Renault in the first episode or so; James,while he is still and always has been cool, he has been different since his bike accident; the girl with the crazy rash; the guy getting run off the road; we see Red and Shelly but timeline could make that foreshadowing; Chet/Chad taking money from Richard Horne - we can only hope they die at some point...

11 hours ago, BonusWavePilot said:

"...very difficult to think he is not making specific choices to an end."
Of course!  So given that we presume there is some kind of plan afoot here, it seems like a massive, Byzantine effort to have this many plot threads and interesting moments in service of nothing more than withholding some notional other version of the show that only exists in the expectations of the audience.

I don't see how we'll ever get a version of this show where the pace moves along snappily without distractions or strangely drawn out sections or disturbing mood-pieces, because Lynch has no interest in making such a thing.  Maybe someone will make an edit after all the episodes have come out that is closer to what you are after, but I can't imagine it would be a better series at that point.

This argument doesn't make sense.  the "version of the show that only exists in the expectations of the audience" is standard plotting, this season it's battle of the Coops and what is up with the lodges.  When plot happens it is in service of this storyline.  Unless you're arguing that Lynch is at the reins and will do as he pleases, but that seems only to reinforce the audience taunting.  Twin Peaks is being treated like it's a variety show with random seems and different acts loosely connected to one another with a purpose only to create a mood and not coherence or motion.

I'm done arguing this.  I see a little of what you're saying, and I'm OK with some distractions and disturbing mood pieces, but the ratio of these to actual plot and development is off.  We're 13 episodes in and new plotlines are introduced when old ones are stuck, ignored or retread.  I believe the authors know what they are doing and it feels disrespectful.  Albert's response to the rude french woman was staring and silence, is that a payoff or a surprise, is that out of character?  A hit and run we see witnessed by dozens of people gets little to no response for days when it seems like that would be a huge deal in that town.  Andy doesn't question the truck owner and never seems to follow up on the meeting he was supposed to have.  Dougie Jones is barely functional and he is pushed along a life that isn't really his, no one attempts to help or understand, the doctor checks his heartbeat, and remarks on how he's lost weight, the end?  If Dougie has had episodes like this before there should be some sort of treatment plan or more testing or something.  Cole sees a giant black hole in the sky and strange figures (also witnessed by Albert) and they never talk about it for us to see.  Bill Hastings is ignored for four episodes and then suddenly we find out he was into the supernatural and had an encounter.  Was the Candie fly swatting scene amazing enough to take time from any of those stories? These are the big questions and the main plot, and moving them along or clearing them up is purposefully avoided, Lynch makes nods to this obfuscation in almost every episode.  It seems disrespectful to me.  Perhaps it is supposed to be funny.  I don't find it so.  

7 hours ago, pabosher said:

Digger, and I say this honestly as nicely as I can: life’s too short, friend. Watch something else if you don’t enjoy this. I did that with Breaking Bad - watched a season and a half, hated all of it, and have been much happier knowing I never have to watch it again. 

Yeah, I wish I could, but I would like resolution.  What happened to Annie?  What's going to happen with Dale?  Can Bob be vanquished?  I want answers to these questions, so I continue watching only to get strange back rubs and mediocre pie.

4 hours ago, Digger said:

Yeah, I wish I could, but I would like resolution.  What happened to Annie?  What's going to happen with Dale?  Can Bob be vanquished?  I want answers to these questions, so I continue watching only to get strange back rubs and mediocre pie.

The strange backrub directly answered a question of what's going to happen to Dale. He was in a situation where he could have died and he didn't as a result.

I think it's a given that there's no way Dougie/Coop will die in this series, especially since he's been able to circumnavigate multiple attempts on his life. Do you think this is all just because of luck or is there someone looking for him? We've seen Mike directly influence his actions during the Ike the Spike attack, I wonder if Mike has been involved all along, perhaps the one planting those red room signals for Dougie to follow.

7 hours ago, jrisk said:

I think it's a given that there's no way Dougie/Coop will die in this series, especially since he's been able to circumnavigate multiple attempts on his life. Do you think this is all just because of luck or is there someone looking for him? We've seen Mike directly influence his actions during the Ike the Spike attack, I wonder if Mike has been involved all along, perhaps the one planting those red room signals for Dougie to follow.

I believe that’s the case, though I’m not sure if it’s Mike so much as it is the unconscious will of the lodge to aid him in his times of need. If Cooper comes back at all (I’m beginning to think he may not) then I think he will be left to his own fate. I think that for badcoop to die/return to the lodge, dale must live, so its in the red room’s interests to keep him alive. 

What if Dougie gets shot though. That's the shadow fanfic universe I will read if someone legitimately writes it when the seasons over. 

I think the visions we've seen indicate that Mike is assisting from the Lodge, but it isn't clear if all of Dougie's luck originates there - certainly the slot machines seemed to have a Lodge-y vision floating over them, and Mike directly gestured Dougie into the cake shop etc, but then pre-Lodge Cooper often used intuitive methods, so maybe it is partly  just a more literal demonstration of his own luck...?   (In this interpretation, maybe having less rationality to get in the way actually helps?)

In the cafe scene in the latest episode, I figured that Dougie getting up to get pie and rubbing Antony's back were both caused by him seeing similar visions as he has been seeing all season, it was just that this time they weren't shown on screen for dramatic tension. That was my read at least. It seems that Mike is behind all of it. 

I remember the guys saying something about being out of town so the podcast would be delayed, but no Part 14 thread either?

And there's soooo much to talk about....

Andy's Big Fireman Adventure

Sarah Palmer and the Westworld Neck Biter

Gordon Cole's Magical Mystery Tour

Chad Is Still An Asshole

Billy Is Bleeding

Tina is Not a Coma-Dream

????? Gets A Name

And with all these developments, of course, the recurring complaint that nothing is happening (or not enough, or not fast enough, or not GoT enough....)

@Jake!  Where is the episode 14 thread!?  How can I possibly watch a new episode without having somewhere to post my hot takes?  Oh, the humanity!

41 minutes ago, Jake said:

New thread is up sorry!

Thanks Jake!  :)

(Woah, never used an emoticon on this forum before: weird selection)

On 8/8/2017 at 5:17 PM, James said:

Assuming this season was written with an eye to it maybe probably being a definitive end to the series, I think I might prefer that Lynch do something else, if he does keep working with Showtime. I'm not sure I can stand the perpetual anxiety of "will they stick the landing" to be drawn out in perpetuity, or until it gets bad enough that they stop funding new seasons.

Same here. I''m always skittish about the prospect of Twin Peaks continuing in an open-ended way.