Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 48: The Return, Part 13

26 minutes ago, UnpopularTrousers said:

Has anyone actually synced this up to check, or are we taking the internet's word on this? 'Cause I've had reason to doubt the internet before...

It's at the top of the twin peaks subreddit, topic titled Sarah Palmer and the Woodsmen. I haven't watched but the Palmer television as a medium for the 1950whatever events to creep in could make sense. (don't wanna link it and create a huge reddit embed again lol)

5 minutes ago, marblize said:

It's at the top of the twin peaks subreddit, topic titled Sarah Palmer and the Woodsmen. I haven't watched but the Palmer television as a medium for the 1950whatever events to creep in could make sense. (don't wanna link it and create a huge reddit embed again lol)

Right after asking that question I looked it up and posted a link that thread as well as another link that auto-syncs the two videos. Sorry for asking that question in the first place instead of just googling things to begin with. 

Before watching this episode for the first time, I jokingly told my gf that at the end, James shows up and starts singing 'Just you and I.'

I froze when the announcer called out James Hurley on the mic, followed by uncontrollable laughter. 

The more I hear the name Phillip Jefferies, the more I'm expecting a Bowie appearance, Missing Pieces excerpt or otherwise. Damn, after watching Ray disappear with the ring, I think the chance of a Chris Issac cameo shot up 1000%. Not enough Chets in this season! ;) As obtuse as this series has been, it really has supplied the fan service with references and cameos. Any theories as to how the Jefferies thing will pan out? Are there more missing pieces? All they'd need is 5 seconds of footage with Bowie chilling in the red room. I really think there'll be something, even if it's a photo on an orb. I don't know if that's something I really want, although I find the way they go about pulling off such things (both writing and and tech/FX work) fascinating.

Something that occurred to me while Walter was spieling - Why was Windom Earle not included in the Blue Rose group list? Also, Earle must have a doppelgänger. :/

Perhaps we'll get The Evolution of Phillip Jefferies?

As far as I've read, all signs point to Bowie not being able to / being inclined to appear in The Return, given that shooting started around the time he was finishing Blackstar, and he would presumably want to ensure that was completed before he died. But I suppose it's possible he spent a day or two shooting something.

As for Earle not being in the Blue Rose Gang, maybe Cole never trusted him? IIRC his crazy Dugpa video dates to the late sixties, a few years before Cole started up Blue Rose in the early seventies. Perhaps Cole had somehow seen that video or otherwise gotten wind of Earle's mania with regard to lodge stuff?

Yeah, it would make a lot of sense for Earle to be a part of the Blue Rose task force, but I think he's associated with Project Blue Book and maybe his breakdown/crime-spree predates the Blue Rose? Also, I think they are just ignoring he ever happened because he's so lame. I feel like EvilCoop is the promise of early-Season-2 Windom Earle teasers fulfilled, in that he's a character who's actually as evil/brilliant/scary as Shakespearean Vaudeville Act Earle was not. 

Also, the awkward pacing and mixing of the sound on that conga line reminded me of this semi-painful bad-on-purpose video by the late conceptual artist Mike Kelley: 

1 hour ago, The Great Went said:

Also, the awkward pacing and mixing of the sound on that conga line reminded me of this semi-painful bad-on-purpose video by the late conceptual artist Mike Kelley: 

Jesus, i made an account just to respond to this. Its fucking wild, and really interesting, thanks for posting :0

4 minutes ago, helplesswhite said:

Jesus, i made an account just to respond to this. Its fucking wild, and really interesting, thanks for posting :0

Glad to be of service! 

Mike Kelley is my other David Lynch. 

Probably not worth mentioning, but I liked how there was yet another obvious tease to Cooper possibly being affected in some way after being exposed to his past life favorites.

First he had the coffee.

Then it was the cherry pie.

Then the coffee and pie combo in this episode. Which I remember seeing a bunch of people say would be the turning point after what they did separately, he simply needed to have them at the same time!

I'm sure none of us really expected anything to happen after all those fake outs and more from before, but it totally played into what people were hoping for yet again, I got a real kick out of that. And how it all came together after basically a double fake out from his missing cup of coffee, was looking like he'd only end up with just the pie again. But then he takes Anthony's coffee to go with the slice of pie while Anthony was dumping the poisoned cup in the toilet. And of course, nothing. But still some quality enjoyment of coffee and pie.

1 hour ago, pyide said:

Probably not worth mentioning, but I liked how there was yet another obvious tease to Cooper possibly being affected in some way after being exposed to his past life favorites.

First he had the coffee.

Then the coffee and pie combo in this episode. Which I remember seeing a bunch of people say would be the turning point after what they did separately, he simply needed to have them at the same time!

I'm sure none of us really expected anything to happen after all those fake outs and more from before, but it totally played into what people were hoping for yet again, I got a real kick out of that. And how it all came together after basically a double fake out from his missing cup of coffee, was looking like he'd only end up with just the pie again. But then he takes Anthony's coffee to go with the slice of pie while Anthony was dumping the poisoned cup in the toilet. And of course, nothing. But still some quality enjoyment of coffee and pie.

The new hope people are hanging onto is that it has to be coffee plus one of Norma's real Double R pies and not the franchise ones using sub-par ingredients. I don't think we're getting old Coop back at all, and if so, not till the final episode. Then again, i hear Part 14 is a real humdinger from those who saw the German Sky TV mistake that ran in place of 13, so who knows?. If I saw a link I don't think I could help myself from scratching that itch, but it doesn't seem to have made its way to the web, surprisingly. 

Just now, Mentalgongfu said:

i hear Part 14 is a real humdinger from those who saw the German Sky TV mistake that ran in place of 13, so who knows?. If I saw a link I don't think I could help myself from scratching that itch, but it doesn't seem to have made its way to the web, surprisingly. 

Yeah, I was quite surprised that it hasn't leaked into the interwebs as well (or at least not so far as I have seen.  I haven't gone to any great lengths in this pursuit, but I did look in a couple of the usual spots.)

Might just be a definitive sign that streaming is trumping piracy at last.  (Though I can't see Australia abandoning its enthusiasm for piracy until a few more of the bullshit digital oceans have disappeared)

5 hours ago, richardco said:

I'd kinda lose my mind if they were sitting on a final David Bowie cameo sometime during this season.

Every time the show mentions Phillip Jeffries actively doing things or interacting with characters off-screen, there's something in me that gets thrown off as I think, "But Phillip Jeffries is dead..." as the feeling literally comes from the fact that David Bowie is dead.

I'm in the middle of listening to the podcast episode, and just wanted to say that I found the "seeing the trees within the forest" bit was very beautiful. I'm walking to work and it goes along a small canal, and there are trees, and I heard that bit and thought "This is really nice.". I don't know. Thanks Chris!

For some reason Sonny Jim playing in the spotlight this episode nearly moved me to tears, and I genuinely don't know why. Something almost seemed tragic, and the set up was theatre-like?

5 hours ago, pyide said:

First he had the coffee.

In respect to this I found that the use of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake song was interesting, partly because of the story of Swan Lake with regards to the white Swan and Black swan. Here's a brief description found on the web:

The story of Swan Lake is woven around two girls, Odette and Odile, who resemble each other so closely they can easily be mistaken for the other. Originally their roles were entrusted to two separate dancers, but as there is only one brief fleeting moment when they are seen simultaneously, it has long been customary for a single prima ballerina to perform both parts, differentiating them by characterisation and general style. The action takes place in Germany in the distant past.

This is obviously poignant with regards to Dougie and Mr C, but also, may allude to the fact that we will only see the two of them together but for a fleeting moment. Or perhaps only see Dale Cooper for but a fleeting moment.

Secondly, the song in the scene is called Finale. A little Lynch and Frost nod at the ending of the season? The name also makes me predict bad things for Sonny Jim. The whole scene was very striking, jarring and somehow un nerving. Finale being that his finale is imminent, combined with the fact that Dougie re says the line "Seven Heaven", perhaps alluding to death. Janey-E seeming so happy and things going so well for them feels like such a bad omen for me as well, if things are that rosey, expect a change, a big dramatic Lynch and Frost style gruesome and unexpected kid death style of change. It's of course hard to tell/read into Dougie's experession but he does also seem to be pensively looking at Sonny Jim playing, almost sympathetically.

This is probably a massive over analysis and unnecessary. But, that's why we're all here right?! The spotlight also made me feel this was more important a random scene than the baseball one for example.

Secondly on that, the fact that when Coop as Dougie first saw Sonny Jim sitting in the car he cried and felt emotional. Possibly because during his time in the lodge he has already been alerted/made aware somehow to the fate of this boy, but as Dougie he is not able to realise what that connection is as he's all scrambled.

This is playing with an idea of time running in opposite directions between the real world and the red room. Almost like two trains with carriages passing each other in opposite directions, or even one just faster than the other. In this case it would be the real world moving faster than the red room to make the red room appear as a backwards motion. You can step from one train to another, but only at the right time when the doors are alligned. So once you're in the same carriage completley your space and time is moving together i.e. appears forwards/normal. However if only visiting or viewing from your world (or train) relativity would dictate that time (portrayed by motion in this analogy) is now appearing to run backwards in that other world (or motion of the train). Anyway, this is an idea of time in the lodge and real worlds that's been going through my head and i'm finding it hard to put down into words!! Are the rails forever a straight line or do the lines loop round etc... it's a rough metaphor to try and help my poor brain grasp some notion of the whole time thing in twin peaks!!

2 hours ago, mikemariano said:

I enjoy that you are continually, slowly talking yourselves into a genuine Season 3 Rewatch podcast sometime in the future.

Huh? Are you addressing Chris/Jake or all of us?

3 minutes ago, Maple Syrup and Ham said:

I think Chris and Jake... But I also am excited about a full rewatch podcast if they did one.

Ohhh, I totally understand OP now :-)

I have been reading a lot of threads in (other) forums where people vent their disappointment over the substance and style of season three. I absolutely love the new series and think the oddness is a large part of the greater themes of horror in Lynch’s work. I do understand however that loving something for 20+ years can fuck with any sense of “healthy” level of expectation one can have, and that “knowing” what Twin Peaks is (to you as a fan) can get in the way of any kind of innovation in what is a continuation of a beloved work. People don’t like everything, and there is of course a plethora of reactions to any art, but the disappointment of long-time fans is a particular thing. Very interesting.

The best text on expectation and the eventual backlash against the new season was written before the premiere, by Vulture’s Matt Zoller Seitz. A very good piece.

Anyway, one thing people hated early on is the lack of more typical music by Badalamenti. I would like to link to the real soundtrack to Twin Peaks The Return, by Dean Huxley. It’s good.