Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 48: The Return, Part 13

I was so, so happy to see my main man Big Ed and then was immediately very sad.

This episode was fantastic, Cooper punching a hole in that guys face! The henchman watching an episode of Twin Peaks on a giant screen, the conga! So great, so many great moments and a perfect mix of the old and the new. Really tense and exciting Doppeldale bits and funny Dougie bits and really bittersweet moments with the OG cast. One of my favourite episodes so far. 

Both me and my brother were completely disbelieving at the musical interlude. "Surely not...". I guess James has always been cool

16 hours ago, TeensieKing said:

Was Coop mouthing "I love you" at the end of the jungle gym scene? I kinda suck at even the most basic of lip reading

It looked like he was repeating the "so much" from the end of Janey's "I love you so much" to me, but I haven't been able to lip-read for many years.  (Apparently I could as a kid for a while because I had a bunch of trouble with my ears which left me functionally pretty close to deaf for a while when I was young, but I have lost the knack)

4 hours ago, Marius said:

Intersting, that makes sense.

Oh man, just imagine...

BadCoop: What did the guard look like?

Ray: It was a brain on a tree in a guard uniform.

This is canon for me until proven otherwise. 

• Breakbeat conga line is a new invention. Reminds me of the Great Northern guests in old Twin Peaks.
  • I really loved the amount of drama that surrounded ritual arm wrestling. It seems evident that BOB is still here, and it's not just DoppelCoop. As far as I know the doppelganger alone wouldn't have superhuman strength.
  • I'd completely forgotten that the guy wearing a suit had disappeared until after the arm wrestle. He stood out awkwardly during the elevator scene.
  • It's good to see some connection between Richard Horne and BadCoop now. It's not clear what made Richard so interested in what he saw.
  • I *really* liked the scene where Dougie is drinking coffee and his face changes. He looked like he was getting really suspicious towards Tony, but then suddenly got up and went to get pie.
  • The Norma and Ed sadness continues. I like how this was carried over into S3.
  • Sarah Palmer always seems to be watching something violent on TV. In this case it's the same 20 seconds of vintage boxing on loop.
  • The Audrey stuff is becoming way less straightforward to me. She's obviously got something unusual going on mentally. It's not obvious to me what role Charlie is playing in all this, honestly. Hopefully we get some more clarity soon. The feeling I got from this episode is that he's acting as some kind of psychotherapist. Whether his objective is to help her or not isn't clear.
  • James Hurley playing at the Roadhouse was 10/10 excellent

This comment on the BMD Ep13 review really stuck out to me. I've been thinking about the inherent melancholy of seeing these beloved characters decades later - worn by time, often preoccupied about a life that has passed them by. The pace of this season ties in directly to this. It's slower, quieter. When bad shit happens it's sudden and terrifying.

EDIT: On the other end of the scale, I'm secretly holding out hope for the scene where Nadine, armed with her golden shovel, cuts a swathe through a pack of woodsmen. Also this scene will be shot 300-style with heaps of crash zooms and speed ramping. Thanks.

tv.JPG

Wow! Dale has turned into some kind of anti-investigator in this season. He does nothing, repeats what others say and still manages to uncover crimes and expose criminals. This inversion of investigation tropes is kind of incredible. I like many thought Cooper would only be in an impaired state for a short while, but it has been this season's mainstay. It has be a comment on detective stories.

I discussed last episode whether Dale-as-Dougie was this season's version of the happy-go-lucky boy scout that Dale Cooper was in season 1 and 2, and this episode cemented that for me.

14 hours ago, Marius said:

Oh by the way, I am a little confused about the green ring. Since when are there multiple ones? I must have missed that info, or completely misinterpreted it from the start.

I only count two for now. Dougie and Ray each had one.

With the timeline's all over the place, especially in the real world and the lodge not seeming to coincide, I think that it's one ring which keeps getting transported back into the lodge via death. I figured that this was the plan of whoever/whatever Phillip Jeffries is to get BadCoop back into the lodge, as it appreared that Ray returned to the lodge because of wearing the ring, and Badcoop was sending a message to the lodge by making Ray wear the ring that the plan has not worked.

It may also explain why Mike was wearing the ring in FWWM, it's a kind of safety net, where is he's killed in the real world then he's returned to the lodge.

Also, any theories on wherwe the Dutchman's is? It's clearly a code as Ray has looked for it and said it's not a real place...

;

How's this for an out there theory...

After a quick googe of the Dutchman I found this song:

"The Dutchman" is a song written by Michael Peter Smith in 1968 and popularized by Steve Goodman. At the time Smith wrote the song, he had never visited the Netherlands.

The song is about an elderly couple living in Amsterdam, Margaret and the title character. The unnamed Dutchman is senile, and Margaret cares for him with a sadness over what has happened to him over the years. It is a story of unconditional love.

So, we know a Margaret, Log Lady. Coud Philip Jefferies be linked to the log?!?!

11 hours ago, BonusWavePilot said:

It looked like he was repeating the "so much" from the end of Janey's "I love you so much" to me

I'm pretty sure it was "so much," I had the subtitles on and it said "so much" after Janet-E's line, so maybe he just lightly whispered it.

1 hour ago, Maple Syrup and Ham said:

Also, any theories on wherwe the Dutchman's is? It's clearly a code as Ray has looked for it and said it's not a real place...

;

How's this for an out there theory...

"The Dutchman" is a song written by Michael Peter Smith in 1968 and popularized by Steve Goodman. At the time Smith wrote the song, he had never visited the Netherlands.

The song is about an elderly couple living in Amsterdam, Margaret and the title character. The unnamed Dutchman is senile, and Margaret cares for him with a sadness over what has happened to him over the years. It is a story of unconditional love.

So, we know a Margaret, Log Lady. Coud Philip Jefferies be linked to the log?!?!

Interesting thought.

Someone at Mild Fuzz pointed out that when Ray says the Dutchman's isn't a real place,  DoppleCooper shoots him and says he knows what it is, rather than where it is. Might just be parsing words, but we'll see.

I really enjoyed this episode. James at the Roadhouse was a great gag, which inspired a simultaneously delighted and distressed "oh noooOOO!" from me. I mean, it's fun, but man alive is his singing voice silly. He sounds like a cartoon character!

On 8/7/2017 at 4:35 AM, KaiserAullirio said:

Damn. I really thought that Lynch and Frost just wanted to portray Audrey's life as a special kind of hell, but after this episode... maybe she is hallucinating or in a coma. Mulholland  Dr was supposed to be a script about Audrey, right? I don't wanna spoil that movie (as if I could), but an existential crisis seems in-line with that. I'm not even going to try to predict what that could mean, tho.

It's worth bearing in mind that the latter half of Mulholland Drive was only added once the original pilot was rejected. The Club Silencio scene was originally only for the European pilot (which would have been a self-contained story, like the Twin Peaks European pilot), and the subsequent scenes were all added for the film version. That's not to disregard any connection, but when the series was originally conceived of, it was going to be more of an on-going mystery, and the lead would probably be quite naïve and optimistic like Betty.

Still Lynch seems to be a great believer in art revealing itself to the artist, so it's quite possible that how Mulholland Drive ended up has informed how his (and Frost's) ideas about the Audrey character now.

Sorry for the double post!

17 hours ago, marblize said:

At first I thought it was a flap from the matchbook but it's a square of paper that's notably in the frame from the first shot of the bear.

This is wild speculation, but was there ever a note from Norma to Ed in the original run? Could it be that? Could he be giving up on Love (not profitable!) at the same time as his weird reflection glitch?

I had pretty much the same thought process, but the other way around. I immediately assumed it was him giving up on his feelings for Norma, but then I thought maybe it was just him burning up the matchbook, but I rewinded it and it looked more like paper than card to me.

God, what a downer. Poor Ed.

22 hours ago, purps said:

I'm started to see some anxious posts around the web about if the show will be able to satisfyingly wrap up all the plot threads and give a ending with 5 episodes left. But do we know for sure that this is a one and done season? When people have asked Lynch if there will be additional seasons after this one, he's been very coy. Saying something to the effect of "never say never". Someone asked Maclachlan and his response was that he thinks there would be a good chance of it happening but that it comes down to what Lynch/Frost want to do. The fact that no one has straight up said "No, this is it. Just this season." has me suspicious. Is the last episode going to end with Cooper getting his mind back and Gordon Cole telling him about a strange murder in the town of Twin Peaks? 

And if that's the case, I hope the ratings are good enough for this season. I've heard a lot of mixed things. It performed very poorly on Showtime broadcasts, but there's been talk that it's the best ratings they have ever had on their streaming service. 

On the otherhand, there's something sort of perfectly Twin Peaks if the last episode ends with a huge cliffhanger and it gets canceled yet again.

Well nevermind, the president of showtime addressed this.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/twin-peaks-no-second-season-showtime-david-lynch-david-nevins-tca-1202144491/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/twin-peaks-wont-be-revived-again-at-showtime-1027586

TLDR: This was always envisioned as one season and there have been zero discussions about there being more. However Showtime is very happy with the new season and will be having discussions with Lynch after the show is finished airing to see if he wants to do more Twin Peaks or something else at Showtime. 

Showtime is getting a taste of the Netflix streaming model. One show boosting their sub numbers that much is noteworthy. Les Moonves was beaming about it in their investor call.

That the president of Showtime is saying, basically, he's open to whatever Lynch wants to do, is really the best case scenario. If Lynch has more great things to say with Twin Peaks, awesome. If he'd rather tell us a different story with different characters, fine. If he thinks he has nothing noteworthy to make right now and opts out, perfect.

As a fan of Lynch, the Showtime boss' willingness to do whatever Lynch thinks best is a good thing. Even if that means Lynch doesn't want to do anything.

12 hours ago, MalcolmLittle said:

Dale has turned into some kind of anti-investigator in this season. He does nothing, repeats what others say and still manages to uncover crimes and expose criminals. This inversion of investigation tropes is kind of incredible. I like many thought Cooper would only be in an impaired state for a short while, but it has been this season's mainstay. It has be a comment on detective stories.

I've been seeing Dougie as a sort of caricature of Special Agent Dale Cooper - he wanders around, sort of off in his own world (thinking about the beautiful outdoors, carving a whistle), enthusiastically drinking coffee and eating pie, solving crimes by magic (dreams, Tibetan Rock throwing) and everyone just going right along with all his eccentricities as if there's nothing all that weird about him.

Assuming this season was written with an eye to it maybe probably being a definitive end to the series, I think I might prefer that Lynch do something else, if he does keep working with Showtime. I'm not sure I can stand the perpetual anxiety of "will they stick the landing" to be drawn out in perpetuity, or until it gets bad enough that they stop funding new seasons.

9 hours ago, Maple Syrup and Ham said:

Good find! There's also this, obviously: 

"The Flying Dutchman (Dutch: De Vliegende Hollander) is a legendary ghost ship that can never make port and is doomed to sail the oceans forever. The myth is likely to have originated from 17th century nautical folklore. The oldest extant version has been dated to the late 18th century. Sightings in the 19th and 20th centuries reported the ship to be glowing with ghostly light. If hailed by another ship, the crew of the Flying Dutchman will try to send messages to land, or to people long dead. In ocean lore, the sight of this phantom ship is a portent of doom."

"It is a common superstition of mariners, that, in the high southern latitudes on the coast of Africa, hurricanes are frequently ushered in by the appearance of a spectre-ship, denominated the Flying Dutchman ... The crew of this vessel are supposed to have been guilty of some dreadful crime, in the infancy of navigation; and to have been stricken with pestilence ... and are ordained still to traverse the ocean on which they perished, till the period of their penance expire."

7 hours ago, James said:

I had pretty much the same thought process, but the other way around.

!kcor s'teL

10 minutes ago, marblize said:

!kcor s'teL

!ahahahahaH

So, Apparently "this is the water" from ep8 and the looping boxing match up and there's a giant owl in the mirror behind her.

45 minutes ago, axis1500 said:

So, Apparently "this is the water" from ep8 and the looping boxing match up and there's a giant owl in the mirror behind her.

I thought while watching that it seemed like the cadence of the boxing announcer was eerily similar to the "this is the water" speech, but I never bothered to check. I figured just the feeling of closeness was enough to be unsettling. 

1 hour ago, axis1500 said:

That boxing match seems like it could be from the 1950's...

56 minutes ago, marblize said:

That boxing match seems like it could be from the 1950's...

Maybe it was one of Bushnell's (Dougie's boss) boxing matches...

Reddit user Wicked Jazz posted a handy link in this reddit thread which syncs up the two clips:

https://viewsync.net/watch?v=Ir8s6IGq2Hs&t=0&v=_8bGQbQm-Gs&t=1.25&mode=solo

“This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within."

Sarah is certainly drinking full, and we have seen white horses in her house before. I'm not sure if it means anything, but it sure is spooky!