Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 48: The Return, Part 13

15 minutes ago, richardco said:

Couldn't help but feel that this Audrey scene would have played SO MUCH better without the previous one.

No wayyyyy, this scene escalated the hell out of the small seeds of spooky gaslighting planted in 12. I don't think it would've been as effective without it.

1 hour ago, Bjorn said:

I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but Richard Horne showing up at the end of the BadCoop scenes was unexpected. 

That took place in Montana, right? I guess when Richard Horne skips town, he really skips town.

22 minutes ago, 01100110 01100001 01100111 said:

For those having trouble figuring out what to look for here, Ed's reflection appears to be looping and is not the same as what's happening in the scene. Perhaps similar to Sarah Palmer's TV and the when Coop watches surveillance camera before Jeffries arrives in FWWM. Crazy.

Also: I recall that Albert confessed that he was at one point in contact with Jeffries behind Cole's back. It seems that this might also be the case with Diane, so perhaps she is also acting with the best of intentions. 

54 minutes ago, marblize said:

No wayyyyy, this scene escalated the hell out of the small seeds of spooky gaslighting planted in 12. I don't think it would've been as effective without it.

I gave up even trying to follow or care about the scene in the last episode about 1/3 of the way through it and I still loved the hell out of the one in this episode. It just felt like Audrey getting to say fuck and delivering lines unconvincingly. But she was 100% on in this scene. Maybe that dichotomy is important in the long view. I'm definitely willing to be proven wrong.

That's an interesting catch in the reflection. Very difficult to see it, but even the intimation of it being slipped in under our noses is enough to unsettle. 

It really feels like something is happening in Twin Peaks. It's surfacing as a repeating TV, a hum in the corner of an office, a strange rash on a woman's arm, a gun accidentally discharging in a crowded intersection. Some of the time it's innocuous; a harmless confusion. Other times the opposite, like a child getting run down in a crosswalk. They're a collection of incidents all bubbling toward the surface like the violent micro explosions at the heart of the nuclear bomb. Is something being made? Unmade? It's hard to say anything for sure at this point, but the steady beat of unease has fully announced itself and it's growing louder. 

Episode notes
-Bless the Mitchums, I wish we could watch them forever
-I loved the way Sonny Jim playing on the gym set was shot. Looked totally artificial— like a school play
-Great payoff for Janey continually saying how bad their car was in earlier episodes

-Audrey's scene felt like a fever dream. Or, rather, that she just realized she was in a fever dream
-The arm wrestling bit felt like it was out of a different movie, then quickly turned back into Twin Peaks S3 as the guy got his face caved in. 
-Big Ed!

1 hour ago, UnpopularTrousers said:

For those having trouble figuring out what to look for here, Ed's reflection appears to be looping and is not the same as what's happening in the scene.

Going back to watch it again, I wondered if that was why he lit that paper on fire - to more clearly see whether he was imagining that his reflection was spookily out of sync.

I think the point of the scene with the franchise man trying to get Norma to compromise on her pie ingredients is that all this time Doogie has been eating cherry pie, but he still hasn't had any Cherry Pie.

Liked this weeks episode far more than last week.

The timeline stuff seemed pretty consistent to me this episode. Everything we see in Twin Peaks itself works as a prequel to scenes we've seen in previous episodes. Examples:

• Becky calling Shelly regarding Stephen being missing for two days. This seems to happen on the same day that Bobby discovers his fathers capsule. Becky would then discover Stephen's infidelity and go on her rampage the next day.
  • Sarah runs out of vodka, prompting her trip to the grocery store the next day.

Really liked the BadCoop stuff at the beginning of the episode. Though I'm not sure how much I like the idea of him being so physically capable. Really liked how there was a wide variety of people in that group, they weren't all stereotypical thugs. I guess they had all at one point challenged head bald guy at arm-wrestling and lost.

Given what happens to Ray, it seems that one function of the owl cave ring is to send anyone who dies wearing it to the lodge. Also interesting that Ray's body(?)/soul(?) ends up in the lodge but is still dead.

Given the obvious look of recognition/something on Richards face when he sees BadCoop, I think it's more or less confirmed that BadCoop is his father, and Audrey his mother.

As of last week I still wasn't convinced that Audrey was Richards mother, or that there was anything unreal about her situation. This weeks scene with her has completely flipped me on that. She seems far more vulnerable and unsure of herself than last week. It seems like she's suffered some enormous trauma. I'm now convinced that the nature of Audrey's situation is one of coma dream / weird-ass therapy session / lodge shenanigans (distant third on that one).

Also, the change in lighting or cinematography for Audrey's scene would, in any other movie, be shorthand for, "This is something the characters are seeing on TV."

(But given the content, it seems much more like Audrey's in some kind of supernatural trouble rather than working as an actor on a TV show.)

Loved this episode, especially the dread that built during the arm wrestling scene, Bad Coop didn't disappoint.

Was Coop mouthing "I love you" at the end of the jungle gym scene? I kinda suck at even the most basic of lip reading

And Audrey's situation feels even more artificial the longer it goes on. I really like how the design of their home feels like a nod to how the original show seemed inspired by the romanticized version of 1950s America. 

Unrelated to the episode, but this isn't very nice at all :wacko:

how rude.png

And yeah, "The Roadhouse is proud to welcome...James Hurley" has to be one of my favorite moments in the whole series so far.

Oh my God I love this episode from start to finish. I don't even have anything useful or coherent to say other than that I was not on board with Coma Dream Audrey but it is now looking pretty clear either that or at least a traumatic brain injury is the case.

Everything about this episode just felt like Twin Peaks. So good.

Speculation on my part, but I think Janey-E and (especially) Sonny Jim are not long for this world. I think they're the "double header" Chantal and Hutch have been sent to Vegas to kill. After all, BadCoop has entrusted the assassination of DougieCoop to Duncan Todd (who in turn assigned it to Anthony Sinclair) not Chantal and Hutch. I can't think of any other likely targets. The Mitchum brothers may be a possibility, but that seems far more of a stretch to me, as well as being not that interesting.

The particular thing this episode that made me fear for Sonny Jim was the spotlight moving over him as he played on his gym set. This spotlight has always been used to depict supernatural forces breaking through to our world, but it particularly evokes Maddy's murder.

Found this week's episode most entertaining! 

Glad to see Audrey & Charlie's bit pushing more in a sinister direction (as opposed to just being a shitty life, acted melodramatically), loved the Mitchums - as always, etc. 

We got another couple of Goodcoop inflected bits of Dougie dialogue during Anthony's confession I thought - his "confess" and "thank... Dougie", as well as his position behind and to the side of Anthony both gave me the impression of interrogation familiarity, but as ever it might be wishful thinking.

Given the crowd reaction at the roadhouse, I guess I can't argue with the consensus: James has always been cool.

1 hour ago, utilityfrog said:

Speculation on my part, but I think Janey-E and (especially) Sonny Jim are not long for this world. I think they're the "double header" Chantal and Hutch have been sent to Vegas to kill. After all, BadCoop has entrusted the assassination of DougieCoop to Duncan Todd (who in turn assigned it to Anthony Sinclair) not Chantal and Hutch. I can't think of any other likely targets. The Mitchum brothers may be a possibility, but that seems far more of a stretch to me, as well as being not that interesting.

The particular thing this episode that made me fear for Sonny Jim was the spotlight moving over him as he played on his gym set. This spotlight has always been used to depict supernatural forces breaking through to our world, but it particularly evokes Maddy's murder.

I thought the double header meant killing the warden and then going to Vegas to possibly kill Dougie. They did the first one so they are going to Vegas now.

32 minutes ago, Kolzig said:

I thought the double header meant killing the warden and then going to Vegas to possibly kill Dougie. They did the first one so they are going to Vegas now.

This is what I think he meant too although I think it ends up with his family being killed and he wakes up, but I hope not.

So Norma's endless paperwork actually had a payoff. DougieCoop has had A DoubleR cherry pie, but not THE cherry pie, the organic, locally sourced, free-trade fancypants one Norma makes. I wonder if she has any jurisdiction over the franchisees, like for example designing a logo for the Vegas outlet that sends a little kiss to Ed Hurley and their doomed love. The doubling of the child's drawing-type suns has been bothering me, but that's a kind of beautiful explanation.

1 hour ago, Kolzig said:

I just re-checked the episode and BadCoop tells them that they have to kill the warden and then that they have a double-header in Vegas. So, they definitely have two targets in Vegas (assuming that that's what "double-header" means, anyway).

Does anyone know why douggie/coop started giving Sinclair a back massage. Originally I thought coop was gonna pick the dandruff off of his suit jacket but then he started rubbing his shoulders and I was lost. Still hilarious though. 

10 minutes ago, TheArm said:

Does anyone know why douggie/coop started giving Sinclair a back massage. Originally I thought coop was gonna pick the dandruff off of his suit jacket but then he started rubbing his shoulders and I was lost. Still hilarious though. 

I have no idea. Innate Dougie kindness? Black sky and stars, like the ones he fell through? The connection I made while watching was with EvilCoop massaging Jack's face to death, and it made it really uneasy.