Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 48: The Return, Part 13

12 minutes ago, 5minutesaway said:

I think this is the woman who James is staring at in episode 2. She's sitting with Shelley and two other women, and they're all excited that James has a thing for her. 

I went back and compared them but I'm on mobile at the moment and can't tell for sure. 

Watching on a phone?

Mr. Lynch says:

12-totalbeauty-logo-halloween-costumes-2015.jpeg

- I legit screamed when James Hurley started performing. I had a strange obsession with that song when I first heard it and it was absolutely insane that it came back. James was always cool!! This ep felt like the most fan-servicey so far. These scenes could've easily been cut, and I felt like the Norma one went on too long, but it's at least nice to get a glimpse into what they're up to.

- The Dougie parts were fantastic, as usual. Still absolutely the best plot line in the show, astonishingly. 

- I guess it's confirmed that Diane is working with Ray and Philip Jeffries, not Bad Coop, since Ray had the coordinates she sent him. 

- Also, on Crave TV (the streaming service carrying the show in Canada) this episode's thumbnail was an image of Suited Cooper/Dougie in front of red room curtains. But that never showed up in the actual episode. Was that the same on Showtime or did Crave just screw up?

Spoiler

Screenshot_2017-08-06-22-29-22.thumb.png.d6cec47d2e2212e6e9db4f05354dfe6c.png

14 minutes ago, mikemariano said:

Since Sonny Jim gets his gym set that takes up the whole backyard this episode, last episode was the absolute last time they could use that catch game. They definitely found that one in the editing room!

If anything, last episode was too late to use the catch scene, since in this episode Cooper-as-Dougie is clearly coming back from his celebration with the Mitchums from Part 11 (having missed coming home that night).  Definitive proof that these scenes are appearing out of chronological order (Bobby's reference to finding his father's legacy that day being all the more so).  I haven't done a side-by-side of the scenes yet, but I also believe at this point that we've only seen a single instance of Dr. Amp's podcast.

Just loved this episode. Holy shit James. That was how to knock fan service out of the park. So good how it somehow made all the other roadhouse acts feel worth sitting through. Well done chaps, that was the punch line to a joke I didn't even know was coming. Loved it on so many levels.

28 minutes ago, mikemariano said:

Since Sonny Jim gets his gym set that takes up the whole backyard this episode, last episode was the absolute last time they could use that catch game. They definitely found that one in the editing room!

But the catch game is such an incredibly short scene that you'd think the could have just fit it into just about any previous episode instead. It doesn't really matter in the end, but it's still an odd choice.

Curious that we've now seen Sarah Palmer twice watching violence on the television even as she self-medicates

as treatment for the horrific violence and turmoil that has upended her life. (The first time lions devouring their prey on a nature show, the second time a boxing match.) It's a hell of a contrast. Is she desensitizing herself to violence/horror at the same time that she's trying to numb herself to what she directly experienced? We might be forgiven for expecting a character with her tragic backstory to try to retreat/escape from anything resembling it. But her instinct is to expose herself to predation and pugilistism. Any ideas about this?

3 hours ago, ThatThomas said:

In other news, I'm sticking with my Audrey coma dream theory and see no reason to change my mind so far.

It seems more like traumatic brain injury behavior to me.

3 hours ago, MechaTofuPirate said:

I am probably the only person in the world that enjoyed that Roadhouse scene.

Not the only one ... Nice surprise. I wanted the girls to morph into Maddie and Donna though ... Just a little Flicker. Like they did in my head.

Holy shit, I started reading the thread, anticipating discussion about the episode I just watched, and instead people mention things I haven't seen. Is this some colluded trolling? But no, it might just be the case that Sky streamed the wrong episode for whatever reason. I presume it to be the next one...well, I wondered about the dialogue line that serves as description, if I missed that. I looked it up, and indeed, I watched Part 14! And I didn't have a clue. I guess this proves Lynch's claim that you could watch these episodes in any order! So, for the impatient, get Sky Ticket and watch the next episode right nooooooow! It's a corker!

Now I have to find my way to Part 13...more Twin Peaks for me! I desperately need it anyway.

During James' performance, I started thinking about Donna. Is it confirmed that she's not on the show? No one on this forum has talked about her at all. I mean, basically everyone else has shown up at this point, or has had their absences explained at the very least. I could totally see Donna just leaving the town of Twin Peaks and never associating with anyone, especially after the Ben Horne subplot at the end of season 2 (does anyone remember that?). 

2 hours ago, UnpopularTrousers said:

Loved the first half but found the second half to be incredibly dull. I can't imagine the folks who didn't like last week's episode will have many nice things to say about any of the stuff set in Twin Peaks this week.

I was one of the ones rather lukewarm on last week, and I loved this week from start to finish :P  This show is a roller coaster.

More general thoughts:

This episode was packed, so many good scenes with so much going on, from the fun and goofy of the conga opening to the upsetting looping boxing match at Palmer's house. 

I really liked the RR scene, perhaps because it had little to nothing to do with the overall plot.  Just good to see more of these characters, and another old timer just dropped in with no fanfare.  Big Ed is both incredibly sad, but also very believable.  Healthy romantic relationships were never exactly his strong suit, so a life where he and Norma end up splitting but remaining friends is believable.  And while she's expanding her business (with some concerns), the Gas Farm hasn't changed at all. 

I had been hoping that the only James scene we were ever going to get was the "He's still cool" one, but I'll take him showing up again to sing that song. 

I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but Richard Horne showing up at the end of the BadCoop scenes was unexpected. 

Just now, Ozzie said:

Holy shit, I started reading the thread, anticipating discussion about the episode I just watched, and instead people mention things I haven't seen. Is this some colluded trolling? But no, it might just be the case that Sky streamed the wrong episode for whatever reason. I presume it to be the next one...well, I wondered about the dialogue line that serves as description, if I missed that. I looked it up, and indeed, I watched Part 14! And I didn't have a clue. I guess this proves Lynch's claim that you could watch these episodes in any order! So, for the impatient, get Sky Ticket and watch the next episode right nooooooow! It's a corker!

Now I have to find my way to Part 13...more Twin Peaks for me! I desperately need it anyway.

Wow. I think this might be related to the strange thumbnail I mentioned in my previous post. Looks like some incorrect buttons got pushed for non-US viewers. 

4 minutes ago, WickedCestus said:

During James' performance, I started thinking about Donna. Is it confirmed that she's not on the show? No one on this forum has talked about her at all. I mean, basically everyone else has shown up at this point, or has had their absences explained at the very least. I could totally see Donna just leaving the town of Twin Peaks and never associating with anyone, especially after the Ben Horne subplot at the end of season 2 (does anyone remember that?). 

I don't think there's been anything to point towards either of the actresses who played Donna returning, so unless it's a hell of a secret, I don't think we'll be seeing her.

So many of the scenes seem to have a pretty clear political bend to them. I find it strange that this isn't more of a theme in the main storyline. It's talked about in almost every episode, yet goes nowhere. I don't know, it keeps coming up as a weird dead end.

Despite my sympathy for this viewpoint, it's such an unexplored theme that it feels simplistic and slapped on. Maybe it's just a little underdeveloped.

Heres a bunch of scenes off the top of my head that are examples of this. It suggests a theme but it doesn't feel like it connects to what I'm seeing in the rest of the world.

- Norma being asked to compromise her product for profit.

- The guy from the trailer park selling his blood

- Jayne-e speech to the hit men about being in the 99%

- Jayne-e talking about their old car to the Fuscos

- Dr Amps whole thing - oddly I think we are supposed to assume Nadine is doing quite well but who knows if her store is a success.

- I think we are supposed to get the impression that Ed's place isn't exactly hopping - no customers and a cash for repairs sign.

I don't think I'm explaining myself well. Perhaps it's because this show doesn't do traditional world building that I'm confused. I mean, none of the locations feel like characters like Twin Peaks did in the first 2 seasons, so I'm struggling to get a read.

Deer Meadow also had a really strong personality.

13 minutes ago, WickedCestus said:

Wow. I think this might be related to the strange thumbnail I mentioned in my previous post. Looks like some incorrect buttons got pushed for non-US viewers. 

I'll read this thread later. But it occured to me that non-German viewership can't have the privilege of seeing Part 14 before Part 13, with Sky Ticket probably limited to German IP adresses. Oh well... ;)

God above, the contrast between the fucking ridiculousness of James truly forever being cool and the credits just rolling over Big Ed's maximum sadness was crushing.

3 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

I'll read this thread later. But it occured to me that non-German viewership can't have the privilege of seeing Part 14 before Part 13, with Sky Ticket probably limited to German IP adresses. Oh well... ;)

Oh man, it is going to be tricky not to... 'procure' that episode before its official release next week...

53 minutes ago, Golden Calf said:

i fast-forwarded through the goddamn song

giphy.gif

you played this wrong my friend

34 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

Holy shit is right. That's an incredible thing for them to mess up.

OH THAT KIND OF GYM SET. I thought they meant like dumbbells and a weight bench. I'd always called Sonny Jim's reward a jungle gym.

Loved this episode. Couldn't help but feel that this Audrey scene would have played SO MUCH better without the previous one.

So they had to have added Walter after Showtime didn't initially want to fund the show properly, right? That was my immediate thought.

Poor Ed. Poor Bobby.

Lots of great comedy this episode as well. The opening scene was outrageous. James was outrageous.

Ray's macho posturing and the triumphant return of "you fuck." 

Also the great sweatervestman: "Do you need any money?" Bad Coop: "No."