Sign in to follow this  
Moosferatu

PC mag

A friend of mine asked me to pick him up a PC game magazine for him while I'm in the States. Actually, he told me to get him a PC Gamer. I said that I'd heard that PC Gamer in the US is not so good. Is this true? If not PC Gamer, what magazine should I try to convince him that he should have me get?

Great suggestions, Poozie! Could you also recommend a good razor? That buzz is just so hot. :sombrero:

On a related note, he gets the electronic version of CGW so he probably doesn't want me to bring him back another one.

Well I get PC Gamer and I think it's alright, it's just that the reviews suck a lot of times. I'm not a big fan of Computer Gaming World, I just lost all respect for them after they gave it 0/5 stars just because it's violent. I guess you should get him Computer Games magazine, I wouldn't know how good it is since I never read it, but at least it's not guaranteed to suck like PC Gamer and Computer Gaming World. I guess I really only trust certain websites like Gamespot for good reviews of games.

EDIT: I was talking about postal 2 when I mentioned the 0/5, I just suck and left out the game name.

they gave it 0/5 stars

They gave what 0/5 stars?

I guess I really only trust certain websites like Gamespot for good reviews of games.

AND THE THUMB. We give ALL the games 0/5 stars! (also 0% and 0/10)

They gave what 0/5 stars?

What the hell? I forgot to mention the game? I was talking about Postal 2. Sorry about that.

pcgamer-us is absolutely crap. it sucks so much that i actually have a pcgamer-uk subscription which costs alot more, but is well worth it. havent really taken much interest in other mags, so im not quite sure about the rest.

SiN

The last time I read a gaming mag - lessee, that was... five years ago, probably - PC Gamer UK was regarded as the magazine with no objectivity at all and all Hype. PC Gamer US was slightly better. Of course, I have never read those magazines so I only have one person's word for it. :shifty: I'm wrong, I'm sure. :hah:

Although I haven't read PC Gamer UK in a long time (too expensive if you're not in the UK), two of their writers have published some great stuff in the interweb, so I'm inclined to believe they're at least half-decent.

I find PC Gamer US intolerable, if only for the high amount of ads. Jees.

i still read gamestar although you have to ignore their hw-section for not becoming insane... :hmph:

one of the things i really like about gamestar is, that they don't go too deep into hypes (doom 3 got "only" 88 %, black and white 85 % - one of the few mags, that didn't praise it with 90-something %) and try to be objective.

That black and white really was one of the most overrated games of all time...but there's always Halo....

By the way, CGW still has some good writers, its just that the mag is meaty, and Greenspeak has been replaced with a much worse (but still entertaining) column by Coffey. Still my favorite PC magazine. Although they gave Grim Fandango 4/5 stars! :eek:

CGW is the only magazine I subscribe too at the moment (the only gaming-related one, anyway). I've found them to be pretty good, overall. They're no Idle Thumbs, of course :)

I cancelled my subscription to PC Zone Benelux last month. I don't know why I didn't do that earlier, considering I'm mostly flipping through it very quickly.

I wonder how long these magazines manage to survive in their current form.

--Erwin

I don't know what PC Zone Benelux is like these days, cause it's been years since I perused a copy, but PC Zone UK is a farce. They're so blatantly selling out to publishers it's embarrassing. Their coverage of Unreal 2 was a particularly painful example, but I'm sure there's plenty more. PC Gamer isn't too bad, and it has interesting articles every now and then, but I still take the reviews with a rather oversized grain of salt.

The only magazines I've found myself able to genuinely respect are PC Gameplay in the Benelux and Edge over here in the UK.

The only magazines I've found myself able to genuinely respect are PC Gameplay in the Benelux and Edge over here in the UK.

The best magazine I've ever subscribed to was 'Hoog Spel'. Perhaps they were a bit too honest with their reviews, because they got into financial problems even though the magazine was quite popular.

I also agree with PC Gameplay being good. It's a no-nonsense magazine.

--Erwin

Agreed. PcGameplay is the best Dutch PC-magazine. I quit my PcZone subscription years and years ago because it became painfully obvious how pathetically they were trying to copy the attitude of the Power Unlimited, our longest-running gamesmag, whilst also trying to become glossy and 'artistique' with big pictures and such. Well, they've only succeeded as coming across as fucking posers. Anyone that's still buying into that garbage is really getting the pick of the litter. Expensive litter, at that.

A friend of mine asked me to pick him up a PC game magazine for him while I'm in the States. Actually, he told me to get him a PC Gamer. I said that I'd heard that PC Gamer in the US is not so good. Is this true? If not PC Gamer, what magazine should I try to convince him that he should have me get?

I like PC Gamer. But my favorite feature in a pc game magazine is the 100 bucks page in CGW. Its a really cool feature.

It says something like "So you have 100 bucks to spend this month, we'll tell you how to spend it" then it has a list of current releases (games, movies, whatever, also usually wacky items like Mexican candy or something) that add up to $100.