Chris

Idle Thumbs 310: They Came Through the Floor

I think there's a very tiny sliver of younger people who have seen The Thing but not also other Kurt Russell stuff, so in general I'm not talking about those people but rather older people, or young people who are more familiar with Russell. It also doesn't help David that a lot of the stuff people know him for is voice work, which sometimes doesn't translate well into people knowing who he is in person.

I think people's reactions to that scene have more to do with the characterization than the race of the actors, Kurt Russell is the main character, of course people side with him. Maybe you want to argue that the latter begat the format, but that's something different.

While discussing how betting on PUBG would work, Chris ever so briefly mentioned he didn't know what Salty Bet was.  Salty Bet pits two AI against each other in the freeware 2D fighting engine M.U.G.E.N. and people can bet on who they think will win.  Because it uses M.U.G.E.N., there's a library of hundreds (if not thousands) of characters, some of which are horribly unbalanced (like tiny characters with virtually no hitbox or overpowered ones with infinite combo chains).

Oh my god, I was so addicted to Salty Bet for two weeks before I made myself stop. I even paid for it. It was a bit scary because I didn't think I was susceptible gambling addiction, but that's what it was even if it was 100% fake money.

You would get so hyped when the top tier characters appeared, or faced off against each other. Some of them had "fake" versions too, that looked almost or fully identical to one another. The matches could be so hilarious, in combination with the chat they had me crying from laughter all the time. The combination of the, at times, amazing character work and the completely unpredictable AI was something else. Let me show you an example (skip to about 1 minute in, 3rd round):

Watching a match like that when you're all in on one of the characters is such a thrill. I have no idea how the AI managed to create ridiculous situations like that so often, but it was so fun to watch