Sign in to follow this  
Argobot

The Idle Book Club 28: NW

Ha! I knew this was coming. Sad to hear it's my least-favourite of hers. Maybe I'll give it another go, I may have changed.

Hi Guys,

Hope you're both well. 

Is there any information on when this cast is continuing? Been on hiatus for a couple of months with no update.

Thanks.

Jack.

Hello!!

We have been terrible and not updated anyone on the status of the podcast. But fear not, we've just recorded our episode on NW and it will be released soon in what we've retroactively decided to call "Season 3" of the Idle Book Club.

For those of you who have still stuck around during the long delay (again, sorry) our next episode will be on The Odyssey, specifically the new Emily Wilson translation.

Bump! This long-delayed episode is finally out and the thread has been updated accordingly.

Glad to see this is back, I was just wondering last night if it would be weird to tweet at the Idle Book Club account to see if the show was over when I saw the new episode was up :)

I couldn't bring myself to read this again. I'll just post my summary of the (indeed quite good) book:

Image result for the end no moral

Glad to find the podcast has returned!

I read NW some years ago and remember enjoying it. It's a good specimen of the modern novel of voices, and as a thing about London it feels right, I think. I remember liking some parts more than others, and some of it felt very direct (politically); as if Smith would sometimes lean out of a character-specific narrative to write something that feels like the start of a non-fiction essay. But I quite like that approach. 

I'm looking forward to reading that new translation of The Odyssey. I already bought a copy to give to someone else as a christmas present, but before it left my arms I read the introduction and the first few pages and that was enough to convince me I need to have it for myself. Tote bag and all.