Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 47: The Return, Part 12

I do wonder if the monster's appearance and actions were due to anger at the guy missing Cooper's passage through the box. Seems possible at this point that the setup was to trap Cooper on his return. The link between BadCoop and the monster isn't 100% clear (and of course may never be)

3 minutes ago, fellintooblivion said:

Also, this weeks episode of the podcast felt incredibly phoned in. Either you liked this episode a lot less than you let on or you couldn't be bothered to do any independent thinking about it and just regurgitated forum/Reddit posts for an hour. 

:fart:

52 minutes ago, fellintooblivion said:

Also, this weeks episode of the podcast felt incredibly phoned in. Either you liked this episode a lot less than you let on or you couldn't be bothered to do any independent thinking about it and just regurgitated forum/Reddit posts for an hour. 

:tdown:

59 minutes ago, fellintooblivion said:

. . . .

Could not disagree more. Just finished the podcast, and it was great as always. 

1 hour ago, fellintooblivion said:

Man, the mental gymnastics some of you go to in an attempt to validate a pet theory are hilarious. 

Audrey is in a coma and gave birth after being raped by Cooper and she is just incorporating things people are for some reason talking about in her hospital room into her coma dreams where she is in a terrible marriage with a midget accountant?

Holy Christ. 

I suggest you stop torturing yourself and find another podcast/forum since it clearly ruins your weeks.

This thread/forum is just nonstop interesting analysis and genial conversation and then suddenly one combo-breaker of negativity always from the same source (you).  Please make an effort to be less abrasive, or maybe find a community you might enjoy more elsewhere.  Chris, Jake...you guys are doing a great job.

To salvage this post with some discussion:  what did everyone think of the dramatic music swell on Diane saying the titular "Let's Rock"?  To me it kinda felt a little like loosening a pressure valve early in the episode.  When you get 11 episodes of Dougie and then the next episode is entitled "Let's Rock" I imagine many fans' minds excitedly went to same place as mine, basically "awwww yeah here we go!"

But then it happened so early in the episode and so relatively unceremoniously that the contrast with my hyped up imagination was kinda brutal in the moment.

Was the point just to troll the audience like that?  Seems like something Lynch is increasingly interested in this season heh.

Man, the mental gymnastics some of you go to in an attempt to validate a pet theory are hilarious. 

Audrey is in a coma and gave birth after being raped by Cooper and she is just incorporating things people are for some reason talking about in her hospital room into her coma dreams where she is in a terrible marriage with a midget accountant?

Holy Christ. 

We enjoy the show, we enjoy talking about the show, we enjoying listening to a podcasts where thoughtful individuals talk about the show, and we enjoy coming up with theories that probably aren't true but are fun to consider and test out.

You don't enjoy the show, you don't enjoy the way that we're talking about the show, you don't enjoy the podcast, and you don't enjoy reading our admittedly absurdly unlikely theories. You're not even complaining about the show anymore, you're complaining about how you don't like that we like and that you don't like the conversations that we're having about it. So, what exactly are you getting out of this? Do you just really enjoy interrupting other people's fun? Do you run onto playgrounds to tell the kids that the ground isn't really made of lava and then walk away smugly knowing that you're right? 

Oh, and it's little person, not midget. We don't say midget anymore.

EDIT: Oh jeez, I didn't click to the next page and see that like five other people said the same thing, making this comment rather excessive and gratuitous. Whoops. Sorry folks. Did you know that it was just a band-aid? Let's go back to fun things.

Some fun and absolutely baseless speculation: What do people think the odds are that we find out who Judy is? She was the focus of Phillip Jeffries's rambling in FWWM and then that monkey whispered her name at the end of the movie. So Lynch obviously had some kind of plan for her at the time, and The Return has taken a lot pleasure in picking up loose threads and half-forgotten names. I think at most we'll get an offhanded namedrop, but I'm open to any insane theories you folks have. Like, what if she was the girl that the frog moth crawled into? It probably wouldn't mean much, but my brain would enjoy the Frostian dot-connecting. 

2 hours ago, fellintooblivion said:

Holy Christ. 

Since you seem to post every week about how much you didn't like the podcast or Twin Peaks, may I suggest you stop watching, stop listening, or at least keep it to yourself?

I think the whole forum could live without your weekly dose of negativity and general insulting tone. Go do something constructive with your time.

1 hour ago, bill_crystals said:

To salvage this post with some discussion:  what did everyone think of the dramatic music swell on Diane saying the titular "Let's Rock"?  To me it kinda felt a little like loosening a pressure valve early in the episode.  When you get 11 episodes of Dougie and then the next episode is entitled "Let's Rock" I imagine many fans' minds excitedly went to same place as mine, basically "awwww yeah here we go!"

Was the point just to troll the audience like that?  Seems like something Lynch is increasingly interested in this season heh.

Are the episode titles even from Lynch/Frost? or from Showtime?

2 hours ago, bill_crystals said:

This thread/forum is just nonstop interesting analysis and genial conversation and then suddenly one combo-breaker of negativity always from the same source (you).  Please make an effort to be less abrasive, or maybe find a community you might enjoy more elsewhere.  Chris, Jake...you guys are doing a great job.

But then it happened so early in the episode and so relatively unceremoniously that the contrast with my hyped up imagination was kinda brutal in the moment.

I think the titles are designed to troll or subvert expectations. Think about it. This is Lynch. An amazing lore-heavy episode gets an unimpressive title like "Gotta light?"

Also see Episode 9 "This Is The Chair", which featured a pointless extended Lucy and Andy argument about a red or beige chair, before showing the actual plot-relevant chair later on.

I really think Albert impatiently waiting for the French Woman to leave was meant to parody the audience. They know what they're doing.

I thought it was a good episode of Rewatch. Come on, man. 

One thing that was articulated well in the podcast was the notion that Audrey's husband is gas lighting her. I'd seen him described as being emasculated by Audrey, but it read to me that he was manipulating her completely, allowing her to lash out while he pushed the right buttons to keep her where he wanted her. 

The Richard-is-Chuck theory makes the most sense to me, but who calls a Richard Chuck and not Dick or Rick? 

My own theory is that Richard immediately surpassed Little Nicky in childhood evil and his mom referred to him as Chucky (as in Child's Play) because it was the nineties and it stuck within the immediate family and their circle of friends. I'm sure this theory is correct. Time will vindicate me. 

I predict this every week, and every week,

mitchum4.gif

I thought this was an excellent episode of Peaks Rewatch. My fave was the bandaid acknowledgements though.

A common complaint about this episode is that it had a lot of scenes where two characters sit around and talk about a long list of characters who aren't there. I remember a lot of people having the same complaint about Paul Thomas Anderson's Inherent Vice which is my probably my favorite movie of his. Even if it's not his best movie, I think it's far away his most entertaining. I'm pretty much alone in that opinion, just like how I'm pretty much alone in thinking that this episode was top 3 most entertaining so far. So perhaps I just really enjoy a style of scene that most people aren't too keen on.

On 8/4/2017 at 2:38 PM, tabacco said:

Since you seem to post every week about how much you didn't like the podcast or Twin Peaks, may I suggest you stop watching, stop listening, or at least keep it to yourself?

I think the whole forum could live without your weekly dose of negativity and general insulting tone. Go do something constructive with your time.

Pass. 

On 8/4/2017 at 1:30 PM, bill_crystals said:

Aww poor snowflake, did I violate your safe space? Boo boo. 

This is is a DISCUSSION forum, not your own private circle jerk echo chamber. 

Well, it is MY private echo chamber, and you're not offering any constructive DISCUSSION. Coming in here and insulting everyone else's intelligence while insisting your read on things is obvious is completely tiring. It's not a discussion, it's you gawping and feeling smug about it. 

Also, calling people snowflakes and any of that. What is the point of that? Think for yourself, don't use that garbage. 

Please leave. 

Random speculation:

With regard to Richard Horne's parentage, it seems the discussion everywhere has centered on Audrey and Mr. C, and occasionally the long-shots Donna or Johnny Horne, but most have dismissed the latter two and concluded Mr. C must be the father to explain Richard's evil behavior.

But there's no reason Richard necessarily has to be the spawn of evil Cooper/Bob to be an evil man. And there are two other Hornes not usually considered - Ben and Jerry. Either could have fathered a child with a One-Eyed Jack's girl or some other woman, and we know Ben was having affairs. Granted, his presentation as Richard's grandfather would argue against him being the father, but he wouldn't be the first case of hiding a father's identity and allowing the child to be raised on a lie or omission. And it would explain his concern for Richard's actions and taking responsibility for Miriam's medical bills while Richard's presumed parents remain entirely absent from the scene.

(On that note, the reference from Truman about the boys' parents would seem to argue against Mr. C being the father in the common theory, unless of course Audrey as mom hid the fact he was, since Truman is certainly not referring to DoppleCooper when he mentions parents).

I don't really think the Ben as father theory is likely, but there's exactly as much direct evidence for that scenario in the show to date as there is for an Audrey/Mr. C coupling, which is to say, there's really no direct evidence for any scenario so far. And given TP's  tendency to surprise, I wouldn't write it off until there's something more solid to go on. 

Finally saw this episode and listened to the podcast.

I couldn't tell if Sarah's double voice matched up with her low, seemingly-possessed vocals from the Season 2 finale. Could she have been in this state for 25 years?

If you're going to put two Tarantino veterans in an a scene together where they discuss fast food options and casually shoot somebody in the head, uh, don't.

I kinda wished the game of catch went on longer.  One throw to Dougie; no reaction. Sonny-Jim walks to the ball, picks it up, throws it again. The same thing. Then on the third throw Dougie's Sam Raimi-reflexes kick in and he catches the ball perfectly, still with no reaction on his face.

3 hours ago, fellintooblivion said:

Oh shoot, we are undone by this absolute badass. 

In the Truman/Ben Horne conversation, the exchange

"And the boy's parents?"

"As you can imagine."

is clearly about the parents of the boy who got hit by the truck? They're in tremendous grief, as you would expect

22 minutes ago, Lacabra said:

In the Truman/Ben Horne conversation, the exchange

"And the boy's parents?"

"As you can imagine."

is clearly about the parents of the boy who got hit by the truck? They're in tremendous grief, as you would expect

You're right. Makes more sense that way.

I believe I've mentioned this before, but the more I think about the Project Blue Book/UFO connection to Blue Rose cases in Twin Peaks, the more I think there is a lot of inspiration drawn from Jaques Vallee and his take on the UFO phenomenon as terrestrial rather than extraterrestrial.

In this old interview he mentions early on the implications of the atom bomb, the manipulation of time and space, witness responses that mirror those of characters like Sarah Palmer, energy/electricity, the speeding up of healing processes, and other ideas that relate to the mythology surrounding Twin Peaks. 

I'm biased, but I really recommend checking it out.

Jaques Vallee - Thinking Allowed

4 hours ago, fellintooblivion said:

Nope, you're actually wrong there on a couple of counts. Go find a cesspool that wants you.

On 7/31/2017 at 3:01 AM, marblize said:

excited for the regular haters to spread more garmonbozia (pain and sorrow).

Time to collect my winnings re: my early prediction for this thread (though it's a given at this point).

I must say I wasn't expecting alt-right rhetoric though, lol.

Also this is a quite random episode 8 thought, but I love that ?????? is much "older" in "1945" than he "was" in 1990/1991.

2 hours ago, tabacco said:

Nope, you're actually wrong there on a couple of counts. Go find a cesspool that wants you.

tabacco for president 4 ever