Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 46: The Return, Part 11

24 minutes ago, David said:

Is this anything? Has there been any other prominent use of a real-world food or other product in the show to this point (original run/FWWM/return) that I'm forgetting?

The Cheetos in Chantal's back pocket really stood out to me, seeing as they're just about the last thing anyone would ever store in their back pocket. I thought it was a really funny Lynchian white trash move.Untitled.thumb.png.85f2d2a69856d92447f75baccf248aab.png

Untitled2.thumb.png.83404f90736dfb8deef4c034ce71dec1.png

It's probably nothing.  

3 minutes ago, UnpopularTrousers said:

Cheetos

UGH. Thanks, yeah, I totally forgot about those Cheetos!

Still though, that extremely unbranded, clunky brown box of cherry pie makes me want to draw comparisons to the Mitchum's breakfast and create a whole corruption/purity thing via branding. It's a dumb thing that I crave.

One thing that I have been thinking about (this might have been brought up already) but it is very possible that Diane is not communicating with Mr C. If you noticed they made it very clear that the text came from Mexico. And we also know that formatting was not the same. Could it be that Cooper is texting someone in Mexico in that scene at the farm and that person sent the same text to Diane. Not exactly sure who or why this person would be forwarding the text to her but it might leave the door open for her to not be working with Mr. C, but someone else. 

2 hours ago, forstm said:

One thing that I have been thinking about (this might have been brought up already) but it is very possible that Diane is not communicating with Mr C. If you noticed they made it very clear that the text came from Mexico. And we also know that formatting was not the same. Could it be that Cooper is texting someone in Mexico in that scene at the farm and that person sent the same text to Diane. Not exactly sure who or why this person would be forwarding the text to her but it might leave the door open for her to not be working with Mr. C, but someone else. 

I thought the signal was bounced off mexico as well as somewhere else? To hide where it was actually coming from.

52 minutes ago, marblize said:

I thought the signal was bounced off mexico as well as somewhere else? To hie where it was actually coming from.

I agree, I think they were just pointing out that the signal was being hidden. The text formatting thing is nothing in my opinion, 

54 minutes ago, Guts said:

I agree, I think they were just pointing out that the signal was being hidden. The text formatting thing is nothing in my opinion, 

The only thing that gives me a little pause with the caps formatting stuff is that it happened in the same episode as when Gordon received that call on the plane and goofily said "CAPITAL K, SMALL N, SMALL O, SMALL X, KNOX," as though Tammy wouldn't write it down properly unless he specified caps.

So this is a bit off topic - apologies if it is against the rules - but regarding the discussion of women in this season of Twin Peaks, is anyone here watching Top of the Lake? There were a lot of comparisons to Twin Peaks back in 2013 when season 1 came out and season 2 (released in full today on BBC) has leaned into the weirdness even more. There's a lot of violence against women but it stars Elizabeth Moss (and season 2 has Gwendoline Christie!) as the police investigating so there are definitely better and more varied roles for women. Just thought it might be of interest (and am desperate to chat about it).

23 hours ago, fellintooblivion said:

Is it too much to ask for the hosts of a podcast about a tv show to get details about the show they're doing a podcast about right?

Gretchen Hayward? Not knowing that the same deputy was in two scenes you're talking about? I'm less than 9 minutes into the episode and you're already screwing things up I noticed in one watching where I was looking at my phone half the time. 

bobby.gif

I didn't take a closer look, but I swear that when Becky called Shelly it was the typical iPhone ringtone but she picked up an Android? Just a really dumb detail that I noticed. Unless it's part of her character that she stubbornly downloaded the

apple mp3 and loaded it in as her Android ringtone. :P

14 hours ago, Arianna said:

So this is a bit off topic - apologies if it is against the rules - but regarding the discussion of women in this season of Twin Peaks, is anyone here watching Top of the Lake? There were a lot of comparisons to Twin Peaks back in 2013 when season 1 came out and season 2 (released in full today on BBC) has leaned into the weirdness even more. There's a lot of violence against women but it stars Elizabeth Moss (and season 2 has Gwendoline Christie!) as the police investigating so there are definitely better and more varied roles for women. Just thought it might be of interest (and am desperate to chat about it).

That sounds really intriguing, I love those two actresses. Thanks for the recc! :tup:

16 hours ago, Arianna said:

I think it isn't available to watch in america until September, it will be on hulu then. If i'm wrong please let me know.

7 hours ago, Guts said:

I think it isn't available to watch in america until September, it will be on hulu then. If i'm wrong please let me know.

Ah, that's too bad. I am in the UK so didn't know the US release schedule. Did season 1 ever air over there?

I did the exact same thing a few of you have done with the "gym set" conversation. And reading people's ideas for how hypothetical conversations with Dougie give me such a wholesome warm feeling. I love it so much. 

Nothing else to add that hasn't already been covered. Good ep, good pod, good lord I'm sure it was a band-aid. :P

On July 28, 2017 at 7:28 PM, Arianna said:

Ah, that's too bad. I am in the UK so didn't know the US release schedule. Did season 1 ever air over there?

It was on the Sundance channel but aired in a really weird format where they split the 6 episodes into 7 instead. Oddly, both versions are available in the U.S. depending whether you watch on DVD or streaming Netflix. Near as I can determine the split worked like this: 

image.jpg

3 hours ago, LostInTheMovies said:

It was on the Sundance channel but aired in a really weird format where they split the 6 episodes into 7 instead. Oddly, both versions are available in the U.S. depending whether you watch on DVD or streaming Netflix. Near as I can determine the split worked like this: 

image.jpg

Weird. Does the Sundance channel have ads? That is the only reason I can think of to mangle the work of a filmmaker as respect as Jane Campion - needing to get the episode length down. Either way would highly recommend to anyone who needs an extra dose of drugs, teens, murder, detectives, and surreality.

Very, very good episode for the most part. I didn't like the parts with Hawk as much as I hoped, but essentially everything else was 10/10. It had the right balance between believable and absurd, a good pace, and strong acting performances in every direction. The scene with Bobby in the diner and the resulting chaos outside was probably the best, but there were plenty of high points.

Has it been speculated anywhere (other than right here right now) that design on the green Fire Walk with Me ring is a geometric abstraction of the weird inkblot ant head thing on Hawk's map and on Mr. C's playing card? It's not really a 1:1, but it's got the same general elements.

Upon rewatch, I noticed something creep into the tippy upper right hand corner of the frame when the oldest kid sees Miriam. Between when he says "There's someone there" and "Go tell mom." It looks like some kind of skeletal finger thing offering maybe a key? The camera does not move--the thing moves into the still frame--and I could not account for a tree branch or twig, as the kid is in the open road. I'd love to get your thoughts, even if your thought is, "She's gone mad." Oh, p.s., Ronnette Pulaski's trestle bridge in the center of the shot.

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 5.19.18 PM.png

2 hours ago, Demimonde said:

Upon rewatch, I noticed something creep into the tippy upper right hand corner of the frame when the oldest kid sees Miriam. Between when he says "There's someone there" and "Go tell mom." It looks like some kind of skeletal finger thing offering maybe a key? The camera does not move--the thing moves into the still frame--and I could not account for a tree branch or twig, as the kid is in the open road. I'd love to get your thoughts, even if your thought is, "She's gone mad." Oh, p.s., Ronnette Pulaski's trestle bridge in the center of the shot.

Whoa!

I just checked that out and the camera does move and that's totally a twig and leaf :D He's at the side of the road, but he's looking at another road/driveway that she's crawling out onto.

Cool spotting if that's the same bridge though!

It's a weird scene, watching it again - the kid isn't in a position for Myriam to catch his eye, he stops and then looks at her. 

nothing.gif

1 hour ago, Lacabra said:

I just checked that out and the camera does move and that's totally a twig and leaf :D He's at the side of the road, but he's looking at another road/driveway that she's crawling out onto.

Cool spotting if that's the same bridge though!

It's a weird scene, watching it again - the kid isn't in a position for Myriam to catch his eye, he stops and then looks at her. 

nothing.gif

I don't know, it looks like a band-aid to me.

Clearly that "twig" on the periphery of the frame is meant to represent Audrey, and how she is only on the periphery of The Return, at first not even visible and then moving ever so slightly into the frame.

Ah, well done, thanks. I couldn't find a tree close enough to him in shots from other angles, so I was a bit freaked out. Yes, it's obviously meant to represent Audrey, a presence long anticipated but ultimately dry, tangential and disappointing.

On 5/08/2017 at 6:10 PM, Lacabra said:

Yep definitely a twig. The camera is stepping backwards a bit to it comes into frame.

I agree that it was really weird and jarring how the kid was just running across the road, and then he stops BEFORE he turns to see the woman. That happening right at the start of the episode made me feel like they directed the scene/actor poorly. Knowing Lynch though, he probably realised but kept it in anyway.