Ben X

"Behold The Kickmen" from Size Five Games for PC, Mac AND SWITCH!

Behold The Kickmen is out on Steam, for $3.99/ £2.79. It's a single-player football/soccer game for the PC, Mac and Switch as of the 16th June (Linux is apparently less likely after a few tests) made by someone who neither understands nor likes football/soccer. It also has a story element with art by Michael Firman. It also has a Dystopian FutureSport Mode that puts a Speedball-style wallpaper over everything, for people who hate football/soccer.

"Kickmen is a clever, cheeky, strange interpretation of “the wonderful game” by someone who doesn’t give a damn about making a soccer game, and is all the better for it." - Kotaku

"Behold the Kickmen is nonsense, but it’s good nonsense ... [it] is really quite rough around the edges, but it manages to be a game that I think will somehow be appreciated by those who love sports games and those who hate them." - The Sixth Axis

https://store.steampowered.com/app/529440/Behold_the_Kickmen

(Note: Although people assume so because of the Dan and Ben games, I am not a Size Five Games permanent employee. I was not involved in the making of this game!)

I spent time asking Dan about Cup head's release date on Twitter, so I have been following this for a while.

Ha ha, yeah, I saw that!

(While I'm here, I'll tag @JaguarWong seeing as they mentioned looking forward to Kickmen previously)

Yes. No multiplayer. If this game is huuuugely successful, Dan will likely do a multiplayer/console/everything-else-people-have-been-asking-about remake/sequel.

It's released! I've now edited the launch trailer into the OP.

Anyone who fancies taking a punt on this for the price of half a pint of lager in an expensive London boozer, please buy a copy ASAP so it's close to launch and pushes it up the charts!

EDIT: it is currently 10% off!

I do agree with a couple of criticisms but that post (they haven't called it a Wot I Think so I guess they're not classing it as a review) is so negative, nitpicky and petulant that it's hard not to read it as an upset football fan's one-sided rant. I'm obviously biased, but this lengthy screed with not a single positive thing to say about the game doesn't match up to my experience.

Other people here may hate it too, though, and that's fine!

EDIT: I may as well link to a positive review, though. Dan's tweeting more of them, obv: http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2017/07/21/behold-the-kickmen-is-an-accidentally-good-football-game/

I think the problem with "this is a bad game, but it's unironic" is that if the irony doesn't land all you're left with is...a bad game

Thankfully, Dan's pitch (LOL) is not that but rather "this is a good game, with some jokes in it."

Here's Kotaku saying "Kickmen is a clever, cheeky, strange interpretation of “the wonderful game” by someone who doesn’t give a damn about making a soccer game, and is all the better for it."

I linked to Graham's review mostly because he's the game's press person I know is most passionate about both soccer and video game soccer, so I tend to trust his opinion when it comes to kicking near men. I am delighted to see other folks are enjoying it, and it has a lot of positive steam review.

I haven't played this but I do want to say, "Behold the Kickmen" is one of the best titles for a video game I've ever seen.

Coming to Switch on the 18th June!

(also edited the OP)