Sign in to follow this  
Ben X

Planet Of The Apes movies

I just saw War For The Planet Of The Apes and thought it was the least good reboot Apes so far (I love Rise and the original, and really liked Dawn) - it's just more of the same, but doesn't move the over-arching storyline on very much at all. The ape acting and CG is just absolutely stunning, though, and there are a few cool ideas in there, especially the donkeys.

Saw it last night and I agree(especially on the Ape CG). I didn't think it was a good conclusion. I'll put my thoughts in spoilers.

So first up I expected the other army to wind up being an army of similarly intelligent apes(felt like the lame comedy talking money was laying the seeds for that) who were there to finish off the humans, but they turned out to be a pointless human army and have very little impact. It wasn't interesting that it was another human army and they were there for all of 10 minutes, we didn't even know any of them. It was a really poor payoff. As I mentioned, the lame comedy ape was lame, felt really out of place in this film. Woody Harrellson wound up not having a lot to do and his character wasn't as interesting as he had the potential to be and his arc was really obvious. My main problem is that the apes were the good guys way too much, I don't see how they go from what they are in the end of this to the guys ruling the planet who enslave mankind in the future. Given the title and the previous film I expected more of a brutal war. :/

I agree with all of that (and expected the same thing), except I like that the apes are the heroes in these movies. It's a lot more interesting than watching some hero humans fighting against them and losing. Also, even in the original (which I take these films to be a reimagining of anyway, not prequels - too much stuff doesn't line up) there were nice apes, it's just that the society was rather corrupt and brutal as a whole. I always inferred from the ending that humans fucked the planet up themselves and paved the way for apes. I haven't seen any of the original sequels, though, so I'm not starting a big canon lore debate here!

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't feel like the group of apes at the end of the movie wanted humans gone, they wanted to coexist. Whereas another Ape army could have given context for there being another large group who did and that's what led to enslavement etc. Anyway, the canon of these is definitely murky and not something I'd try to make a lot of sense of. They are probably better off left as their own reboot thing.

On the humans destroying themselves bit, it's again another thing that I'm all for but it was just really poorly done in this movie.

Hmm, maybe need a spoiler tag on the thing that didn't happen, there...