Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 44: The Return, Part 9

I'd say Ben's goodness is contingent on whether he's done anything to try to help the people whose lives he screwed up with human trafficking and burning down the mill.

6 hours ago, marblize said:

Possibly! Emphasis on the 'now.' I'm positing that a near death experience when he was already working on a path to attempted redemption (even if tongue-in-cheek) and 25 years has made him chill on the whole actively bad person thing. Grave injuries are known to change outlooks, no? I mean yeah, One Eyed Jacks and Ghostwood things certainly would beat out the mild neutral living he seems to do now (from what we've seen) in a tally. It just seems like he worked his way out of a lot of those bad 'habits' to become a seemingly pleasant, possibly good-at-the-moment person. But true, maybe the good person descriptor should account for collected works rather than recent selected works. I guess there are a lot of evil real world people I'd probably never call 'good' under any future circumstance. Maybe I'm just charmed. And with that I'll stop getting offended for this fictional character, lol.

relevant Andrew WK tweet I saw today.

That Andrew WK tweet is great. I love it. 

(And will point out that we haven't seen much to show that Ben is working on being good, bad, or anything at all this season, other than appearing to have mellowed with age, and the time a character told him he was good.)

3 hours ago, Crunchnoisy said:

This week was a very FBI-heavy episode.  It seemed an appropriate time to unveil...

Gordon Remo and Albert Rodkin!

twinpeaks-final-720x900.png

Holy shit, amazing. 

5 hours ago, Crunchnoisy said:

Thank you!  

Whoa, thanks for making that! Rad.

On 10/07/2017 at 3:08 PM, purps said:

Regarding that website, people are saying it was registered back in 2015. But do we know when it actually went live? Has it just been sitting there for two years? I wonder if it was supposed to be part of an ARG in the lead up to the show that just no one ever found.

It looks like archive.org didn't register any content for it until the day the episode aired. 

A small thing that really impressed me about that video that plays when you click the archive link is how well it simulates the intense brightness possible with CRT displays. I think it's because they include an after-inage of each of the flashes, but it was a totally convincing effect for my phone's screen producing flashes brighter than its actually capable of. A nice little detail that sells Lynch's weird analogue effects on digital technology thing. Which is something I'd find dumb and irritating in almost anything else, because it would be a mistake, but here it's magic.

I always thought there was something really mysterious about the static between radio stations. A perfect place for modern magic. 

9 hours ago, Crunchnoisy said:

This week was a very FBI-heavy episode.  It seemed an appropriate time to unveil...

Gordon Remo and Albert Rodkin!

:tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup:

1 hour ago, James said:

It looks like archive.org didn't register any content for it until the day the episode aired. 

A small thing that really impressed me about that video that plays when you click the archive link is how well it simulates the intense brightness possible with CRT displays. I think it's because they include an after-inage of each of the flashes, but it was a totally convincing effect for my phone's screen producing flashes brighter than its actually capable of. A nice little detail that sells Lynch's weird analogue effects on digital technology thing. Which is something I'd find dumb and irritating in almost anything else, because it would be a mistake, but here it's magic.

I always thought there was something really mysterious about the static between radio stations. A perfect place for modern magic. 

I noticed this too. It looks great for what could be a simple piece of video noise. 

Petition to add a subtitle to this episode: "Mask of Cool Teen."
Just think about all the Wizard Jam potential.

The Return, Part 9, Mask of Cool Teen

5 hours ago, Chris said:

Whoa, thanks for making that! Rad.

My pleasure.  I found myself humming the serene Badalamenti main title through most of it. 

Thanks for nearly a decade of entertainment.

3 hours ago, James said:

There are groups of folks who believe they are able to perceive messages of various sorts in radio static.

I suspect that this comes down to Ganzfield Effect or wishful thinking / apophenia (or less pleasantly, maybe mental illness), but there is an analog weirdness to radio & TV static which you don't find in digital tech.  (Although digital errors can have their own horror: my favourite is when you get that effect where the compression is glitching out and getting the shape right, but still displaying the previous content, so you get people-shaped smears of background talking to each other.) 

While Jerry Horne was arguing with not his foot in the woods, I kept hoping for Doctor Jacoby to show up to talk him down from his trip. A defrocked shrink is still a shrink, after all ...

4 hours ago, BonusWavePilot said:

(Although digital errors can have their own horror: my favourite is when you get that effect where the compression is glitching out and getting the shape right, but still displaying the previous content, so you get people-shaped smears of background talking to each other.) 

I attempted to make a broken gif like that a couple of days ago! it's Not Very Good but it was the first time i was able to get something all the way through the programs used, so i was excited ^___^ 

DougieCoffeeSmall1.gif.b779efc2b295b2de397bd8da1e232b9c.gif

1 hour ago, BonusWavePilot said:

Hah!  Nice job...  Which tools were you using for such things @marblize?

Thanks! I used VirtualDub and Avidemux with this tutorial. Also used some web youtube downloader and then premiere to cut up the clips but that step can be done other ways, probably within the former two programs.

On 7/12/2017 at 4:31 AM, Urthman said:

I'd say Ben's goodness is contingent on whether he's done anything to try to help the people whose lives he screwed up with human trafficking and burning down the mill.

I wholeheartedly endorse this sentiment, especially in a real-world sense.

Although on a more tongue-in-cheek note, given what we saw of Ben's efforts to "right past wrongs" on the old series, maybe they're better off with him not doing anything...

7rxsgnia9d9z.gif

Stolen from reddit.  Jack Rabbit's Palace.  It turns out it was about the bunny afterall.

I don't know if this is just symptomatic of binge watching stuff these days, but this show has been really interesting with how it plays on expectations week by week. If often feels like the response to an episode directly informs the next. This isn't just in terms of plot points, but also reactions to certain characters and scenes. Doris's nagging and Hawke's heritage come to mind. They sit uncomfortably for about a week or two, then they're revealed to not be what we expected.

One small detail that I hadn't seen mentioned and I think Chris and Jake may have missed the significance of is that the farmers who own the farm Bad Coop's henchmen are at can be seen dead in one of the shots.

IMG_0943.PNG

1 hour ago, thenexus6 said:

Shaggy just wants to go SCOOBY diving guys :sad:

I heard it this way too, it was kind of taking me out of the scene.

On 13/07/2017 at 2:28 AM, BonusWavePilot said:

(Although digital errors can have their own horror: my favourite is when you get that effect where the compression is glitching out and getting the shape right, but still displaying the previous content, so you get people-shaped smears of background talking to each other.) 

I'm also a fan of that.

6 hours ago, Cleinhun said:

I heard it this way too, it was kind of taking me out of the scene.

But Scooby Doo exists within the Twin Peaks Expanded Universe:

Also, Mystery Incorporated is easily the best version of Scooby Doo that has ever existed, and if you have any fondness for the gang, it's well worth watching.  And Lillard did voice Shaggy in the show, so it's his second time being in a tv show that features the Red Room. 

8 hours ago, andrewdoull said:

One small detail that I hadn't seen mentioned and I think Chris and Jake may have missed the significance of is that the farmers who own the farm Bad Coop's henchmen are at can be seen dead in one of the shots.

IMG_0943.PNG

ya I think when badcoop arrived he asked hutch where the farmers were and he said something like 'ohhh, out back,' in a clearly mischievous way