Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 44: The Return, Part 9

Cooper Math Question:

On Major Brigg's secret note, we saw COOPER/COOPER and Truman says "Two Coopers..."

But the note actually read (I think)...  COOPER / COOPER / COO

COOPER = Bad Coop

COOPER = Good Coop

COO = Dougie, who appropriately only seems like half a person.

Not profound, but kind of neat.

7 minutes ago, Crunchnoisy said:

Cooper Math Question:

On Major Brigg's secret note, we saw COOPER/COOPER and Truman says "Two Coopers..."

But the note actually read (I think)...  COOPER / COOPER / COO

COOPER = Bad Coop

COOPER = Good Coop

COO = Dougie, who appropriately only seems like half a person.

Not profound, but kind of neat.

If you watch the clip about the original message his name shows up more then three times.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=142&v=mbi7rq-TSk8

I'm not letting go of the theme that the mythology of TP is based on the premise of every action contains an equal and opposite reaction.  This couldn't be more evident than in the Andy/Lucy chair scene.  Andy succumbs to Lucy's request for the brown chair which gets him the red chair he desired.  Bob is captured, Laura is released.  Black and white.  Don't over-analyze.  The story will align with a balance between good and bad.  

11 hours ago, Mike Danger said:

Penguins are also black and white. I have no idea if those girls are actually aware of that stuff, but it was the first place my brain went to.

They also look like they're wearing tuxedos, according to season 2 Coop:
"I’ve got a joke for you: a couple of penguins are walking across an iceberg and the first one says to the second, “You look like you’re wearing a tuxedo.” And the second one says, “Maybe I am.”

Also, that's Sky Ferreira who I knew was in the cast, but had assumed would just be a musical guest. Now I'm wondering whether Eddie Vedder will play a character or just sing a song. 

I think the shot of the plane is a mirror image, but I'd have to re-check to confirm. It looked like the "serial number" of the plane was flipped.

I was in a foul mood when I started watching this episode and it cheered me up no end. My favourite little moment was the goofy way Bobby crossed one leg over the other in the conference room as he went to walk outside. It was IDENTICAL to how goober Bobby used to sloosh around the place in his black jacket and curtains. But now it's kind of endearing.

Yes, I know he killed a guy. But that guy was a dick. Bobby's cool.

2 minutes ago, dartmonkey said:

Bobby's always been cool.

Anyone else frustrated by the way the puzzle boxes get opened in Twin Peaks.

Bobby Briggs just smashes his one open, and in Season 2 (S2E27?) Pete and Catherine just drop their puzzle box on the ground in order to smash it open.

It's like they set up a great idea and the solution was just to use brute force.

------
Phil Willis
Damn Fine Commentary with Dave and Lynch

1 hour ago, Gregalor said:

I think the shot of the plane is a mirror image, but I'd have to re-check to confirm. It looked like the "serial number" of the plane was flipped.

Yeah - I noticed that - but at least the windows weren't flashing morse code.

3 minutes ago, Phil Willis said:

Anyone else frustrated by the way the puzzle boxes get opened in Twin Peaks.

Bobby Briggs just smashes his one open, and in Season 2 (S2E27?) Pete and Catherine just drop their puzzle box on the ground in order to smash it open.

It's like they set up a great idea and the solution was just to use brute force.

------
Phil Willis
Damn Fine Commentary with Dave and Lynch

That's kind of how a lot of Twin Peaks mysteries seem to be solved for the viewer, with a sudden jab right to the face. Especially the reveal of Leland in S2.

Just finished watching the episode again and there were some things that occurred to me.

Diane's anxious glancing at her phone (which just displays a screen saying BLOCKED) on the plane. Is she expecting the text from Mr C, or simply doesn't like being offline for a while?

Ike's squeaky "Oh" or whatever sound it was when he's caught made me laugh.

I noticed the reversed number on the plane too this time but I wonder if that was more to do with filmmaking techniques. They appeared to be flying from right to left when they were heading to South Dakota, so now when they're heading back the other way they may have reversed the flight footage to emphasise that this was the return journey.

On the bad drugs subject:

In Ep3 Truman says there's been another apparent OD, little Danny Craig, probably Chinese designer drugs
Bobby says they're not coming down from Canada
In Ep6 Red says they're moving the 'sparkle' down from Canada
The woman living opposite the house where Dougie and Jade meet appears to be on them
Ella (woman at the end of this episode) appears to be suffering some effects of a bad batch

I have no idea how any of this relates to anything else though.

Random thought I just had: Is Diane's clothing slowly becoming closer to the monochrome FBI suits Cole, Cooper, and Albert seem to wear constantly? I remember she has a bright red blouse in the interrogation room with the Cooper doppelganger, and then this week I think it's just a black blouse with a colorful color?

22 minutes ago, Octasco said:

I noticed the reversed number on the plane too this time but I wonder if that was more to do with filmmaking techniques. They appeared to be flying from right to left when they were heading to South Dakota, so now when they're heading back the other way they may have reversed the flight footage to emphasise that this was the return journey

This used to be a common "mistake" in movies, but I imagine these days when they decide to flip a shot, they fix any side effects with computers.

2 hours ago, dartmonkey said:

If Laura's Secret Diary is canon, he's killed 2 people (probably, he deffo shoots someone in the Diary, but they don't stick around to see if that person lives or not).  He and Laura both live with the belief that he killed someone though.

2 hours ago, dartmonkey said:

Well he killed a guy that pulled a gun out and was about to shoot him. I don't really think that makes Bobby evil.

3 hours ago, Ash_NR said:

Bobby's always been cool.

Even when Bobby and Mike were in jail with James and tried to intimidate him by barking like dogs?

Even when Bobby was talking tough to Shelly about how he would protect her from Leo, even though he turned into a cowardly fink any time Leo showed up?

Even when Bobby let Audrey push him around and turn him into her puppet, and made him dress up like a goofy confederate soldier?

Face it, there were a lot of times when Bobby was the exact opposite of cool.  Bobby didn't become cool until he stopped trying to be cool.

17 hours ago, Vellan said:

Overall, I was glad that there was so much more music than previously.  After Episode 8 / Gotta Light, this episode was so normal and comfortable that I felt a bit let down.  I could have used more surrealism to ease me back into online furniture shopping, etc.

Embarrassingly obvious questions and so on underneath the cut. 

Hide contents

When the Fuscos are interviewing Dougie's boss (is it odd that they call him 'Bushnell' instead of 'Mr Mullins'?), they basically dismiss him and Mullins stands there for a moment making a fist.  I read that as 'these clowns are doing bugger all and I'd love to lay them out'.  Maybe that's reinforced by him then going to Cooper and saying (paraphrased) 'we'll investigate on our own tomorrow'.

Just watched Fire Walk with Me recently and the coded message has the girl making a fist several times like this which according to Agent Desmond means the local law enforcement is going to be belligerent. He also has one hand in his pocket like the coded message which meant they are hiding something.

Not sure if it was referencing this but after having just seen the movie, it really stood out to me.

I like Bobby's arc from a person who clearly cares about stuff but feels like he needs to act like a bully all the time to a decent and likable human being. 

I think 90% of my joy at seeing Bobby turn out OK is thinking how pleased Major Briggs would be (which I imagine is exactly as pleased as he was when he woke up from that dream he related to Bobby).  I feel pretty certain that it was the combination of his dad's death and that expression of his dad's confidence in his future that got Bobby's life turned around.

But wow, I was cringing at how literal and boring all the lore dumping was in this episode.  And belaboring all the details about how the Major's body was only 40 years old...exactly how old he was when he supposedly died [dun dun dun!]...and there's no record of Doogie's existence earlier than...1997 [dun dun dun!]  I couldn't even enjoy Matthew Lillard's performance because that stuff he was saying about searching for parallel universes and getting coordinates to find portals to another dimension was so pedestrian, so lacking in any kind of mystery, wonder, or horror.  It seemed indistinguishable from some plot involving Don Davis's character on Stargate SG-1.

And was anyone else put off by Hawk being so petty as to not bother getting the door for Deputy Chad?

Have to admit I enjoyed the antics of the three detectives investigating Doogie. (How is it possible they all have the same face but don't look anything like each other?)  And that scene outside with Tammy repeatedly trying and failing to strike a pose as cool as Diane just smoking her cigarette was amazing.  That and her compassionately calm interrogation of Hastings really got me liking her character.

Also, I thought it was pretty funny that she asks him to pick "The Major" out of a line-up of photos in which Briggs is the only one wearing a major's uniform.

7 hours ago, Gailbraithe said:

Even when Bobby and Mike were in jail with James and tried to intimidate him by barking like dogs?

Even when Bobby was talking tough to Shelly about how he would protect her from Leo, even though he turned into a cowardly fink any time Leo showed up?

Even when Bobby let Audrey push him around and turn him into her puppet, and made him dress up like a goofy confederate soldier?

Face it, there were a lot of times when Bobby was the exact opposite of cool.  Bobby didn't become cool until he stopped trying to be cool.

Calm down, they were just playing on the (obviously nonsensical) 'James has always been cool' line from earlier this season.