Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Idle Weekend July 2, 2017 - Bleacher Bums

Idle Weekend July 2, 2017:

Idle Weekend July 2, 2017

Bleacher Bums
Rob and Danielle meet for an overdue weekend after a Rob's cross-country move. Rob's been getting re-acclimated by playing a lot of MLB The Show 17 and discovers it's like watching baseball with a cool, knowledgeable friend. But a discussion of sports leads to a discussion of Boston sports and their deserved reputation for racism. But somehow, Xander Cage makes it all okay.

MLB The Show 17, Animal Crossing, Boston sports

Hey R&D, been missing you the last couple weeks! Looking forward to the next cast whenever it happens!

Enjoying your many insights on Waypoint Radio in the meantime :)

I only midway thru the episode but I have to stop listening for a bit so I wanted to get in a couple of comments.

First, I only listen sporadically, so I was wondering if anyone could summarize in a sentence or two why Rob moved west for a year and then back to Boston... was this all part of "the plan"?  Or did it just work out?

Second, I had a similar experience, where although I stayed in the same area, I left a longtime software job, switched to a different job (literally across the street) and then came back after a year and a half.  And it was disorienting... people were working on new projects, a whole new software system was being developed, etc etc.  Somehow I thought time would have stood still and I would just slide right into place, and even though my friends were still there, they had moved on, and I needed to catch up.

Third, I find it ironic that Rob and Danielle talked quite about about how racist "those white people" are. 

And least but not least, how SF fans regard Oakland fans.  I grew up in the area, I was a Giants / 49ers fan, my cousins were A's / Raiders fans.  We were all white.   But when it came to sports we definitely looked down on each other.  The A's / Raiders always had the "bad boys" feel, so we SF fans felt the folks across the bay were uncouth, and they probably felt we were too straitlaced.  And of course the Bay Area isn't the hugest metro area, so it had trouble supporting multiple teams, which meant it was really annoying when the Giants were struggling and the A's were doing well and drawing huge crowds.

So again, not necessarily sign of evil white racism.